ICT technologies in Europe: A study of technological diffusion and economic growth under network theory
The sector of Information and Communication Technologies is one of the key instruments for the development of an economy. The literature emphasizes its capacity for both increasing productivity and generating new sources of income and wealth (Jorgenson, 2001; Colecchia and Schereyer, 2002; among others). Traditionally studies on the ICT sector have focused on the analysis of its economic impact, but not on its capacity as a “bridge” of information and knowledge flows across the economic network. Following Burt’s approach (1992) about structural holes, the organization of the economic network defines where and for whom new opportunities lie. The structural hole methodology allows to analyze the capacity of the ICT sector as an enabler of technological diffusion and innovation. Our results show that the European ICT sector not only is important for its intermediary role in the flow of information across the economic network, but also for its low level of dependency on other sectors.
|Date of creation:||Dec 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published by Ivie|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: C/ Guardia Civil, 22, Esc 2a, 1o, E-46020 VALENCIA|
Phone: +34 96 319 00 50
Fax: +34 96 319 00 55
Web page: http://www.ivie.es/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sikhanwita Roy & Tuhin Das & Debesh Chakraborty, 2002. "A Study on the Indian Information Sector: An Experiment with Input-Output Techniques," Economic Systems Research, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(2), pages 107-129, June.
- John Humphrey & Hubert Schmitz, 2002. "How does insertion in global value chains affect upgrading in industrial clusters?," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 36(9), pages 1017-1027.
- Xing, Wan & Ye, Xuan & Kui, Lv, 2011. "Measuring convergence of China's ICT industry: An input-output analysis," Telecommunications Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(4), pages 301-313, May.
- Reinhilde Veugelers, 2012. "New ICT sectors: Platforms for European growth?," Policy Contributions 745, Bruegel.
- Kevin J. Stiroh & Dale W. Jorgenson, 1999. "Information Technology and Growth," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 89(2), pages 109-115, May.
- Alessandra Colecchia & Paul Schreyer, 2002. "ICT Investment and Economic Growth in the 1990s: Is the United States a Unique Case? A Comparative Study of Nine OECD Countries," Review of Economic Dynamics, Elsevier for the Society for Economic Dynamics, vol. 5(2), pages 408-442, April.
- Rohman, Ibrahim Kholilul, 2013. "The globalization and stagnation of the ICT sectors in European countries: An input-output analysis," Telecommunications Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(4), pages 387-399.
- Stephen D. Oliner & Daniel E. Sichel, 2000.
"The resurgence of growth in the late 1990s: is information technology the story?,"
Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Stephen D. Oliner & Daniel E. Sichel, 2000. "The Resurgence of Growth in the Late 1990s: Is Information Technology the Story?," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 14(4), pages 3-22, Fall.
- Stephen D. Oliner & Daniel E. Sichel, 2000. "The resurgence of growth in the late 1990s: is information technology the story?," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2000-20, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Papaconstantinou, G. & Sakurai, N. & Wyckoff, A., 1998. "Domestic and international product-embodied R&D diffusion," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 27(3), pages 301-314, July.
- Erik Brynjolfsson & Lorin M. Hitt, 2000. "Beyond Computation: Information Technology, Organizational Transformation and Business Performance," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 14(4), pages 23-48, Fall.
- David L. Hummels & Jun Ishii & Kei-Mu Yi, 1999.
"The nature and growth of vertical specialization in world trade,"
72, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Hummels, David & Ishii, Jun & Yi, Kei-Mu, 2001. "The nature and growth of vertical specialization in world trade," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 54(1), pages 75-96, June.
- Tobias Kretschmer, 2012. "Information and Communication Technologies and Productivity Growth: A Survey of the Literature," OECD Digital Economy Papers 195, OECD Publishing.
- Scherer, F M, 1982. "Inter-Industry Technology Flows and Productivity Growth," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 64(4), pages 627-34, November.
- Erik Dietzenbacher & Isidoro Romero, 2007. "Production Chains in an Interregional Framework: Identification by Means of Average Propagation Lengths," International Regional Science Review, , vol. 30(4), pages 362-383, October.
- Ana Muñiz & Antonio Raya & Carmen Carvajal, 2010. "Spanish and European innovation diffusion: a structural hole approach in the input–output field," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 44(1), pages 147-165, February.
- Semitiel-GarcÃa, MarÃa & Noguera-MÃ©ndez, Pedro, 2012. "The structure of inter-industry systems and the diffusion of innovations: The case of Spain," Technological Forecasting and Social Change, Elsevier, vol. 79(8), pages 1548-1567.
- Bruno van Pottelsberghe, 2009.
"Economic incongruities in the European patent system,"
- Malwina Mejer & Bruno van Pottelsberghe de la Potterie, 2012. "Economic incongruities in the European patent system," European Journal of Law and Economics, Springer, vol. 34(1), pages 215-234, August.
- Malwina Mejer & Bruno Van Pottelsberghe, 2009. "Economic Incongruities in the European Patent System," Working Papers ECARES 2009_003, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Malwina Mejer & Bruno van Pottelsberghe, 2009. "Economic incongruities in the European patent system," Working Papers 2009/31, Institut d'Economia de Barcelona (IEB).
- Mejer, Malwina & van Pottelsberghe de la Potterie, Bruno, 2009. "Economic incongruities in the European patent system," CEPR Discussion Papers 7142, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Paul Schreyer, 2001. "Information And Communication Technology And The Measurement Of Volume Output And Final Demand - A Five-Country Study," Economics of Innovation and New Technology, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 10(5), pages 339-376.
- Bresnahan, Timothy F. & Trajtenberg, M., 1995.
"General purpose technologies 'Engines of growth'?,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 65(1), pages 83-108, January.
- Bernstein, Jeffrey I. & Mohnen, Pierre, 1998.
"International R&D spillovers between U.S. and Japanese R&D intensive sectors,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 44(2), pages 315-338, April.
- Bernstein, Jeffrey I. & Mohnen, Pierre, 1994. "International R&D Spillovers Between U.S. and Japanese R&D Intensive Sectors," Working Papers 94-20, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Jeffrey Bernstein & Pierre Mohnen, . "International R&D Spillovers Between U.S. and Japanese R&D Intensive Sectors," Carleton Industrial Organization Research Unit (CIORU) 94-04, Carleton University, Department of Economics.
- Jeffrey I. Bernstein & Pierre Mohnen, 1994. "International R&D Spillovers Between U.S. and Japanese R&D Intensive Sectors," NBER Working Papers 4682, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Grady, Patrick & Muller, R. Andrew, 1986. "On The Use and Misuse of Input-Output Based Impact Analysis in Evaluation," MPRA Paper 22063, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Jones, Ronald W. & Kierzkowski, Henryk, 2005. "International fragmentation and the new economic geography," The North American Journal of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 1-10, March.
- Cronin, Francis J. & Parker, Edwin B. & Colleran, Elisabeth K. & Gold, Mark A., 1991. "Telecommunications infrastructure and economic growth : An analysis of causality," Telecommunications Policy, Elsevier, vol. 15(6), pages 529-535, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ivi:wpasad:2012-21. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Departamento de Edición)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.