INTROSPECTION AND EQUILIBRIUM SELECTION IN 2x2 MATRIX GAMES
Game theory lacks an explanation of how players' beliefs are formed and why they are in equilibrium. This is the reason why it has failed to make significant advances with the problem of equilibrium selection even for quite siniple games, as 2x2 games with two strict Nash equilibria. Our paper models the introspection process by which the selected equilibrium is achieved in this class of games. Players begin their analysis with imprecise priors, obtained under weak restrictions formulated as Axioms. For a large class of reasoning dynamics we obtain as the solution the risk dominant Nash equilibrium.
|Date of creation:||May 1993|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published by Ivie|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +34 96 319 00 50
Fax: +34 96 319 00 55
Web page: http://www.ivie.es/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mirman, L.J. & Samuelson, L. & Urbano, A., 1989.
8-89-7, Pennsylvania State - Department of Economics.
- Kandori, Michihiro & Mailath, George J & Rob, Rafael, 1993.
"Learning, Mutation, and Long Run Equilibria in Games,"
Econometric Society, vol. 61(1), pages 29-56, January.
- M. Kandori & G. Mailath & R. Rob, 1999. "Learning, Mutation and Long Run Equilibria in Games," Levine's Working Paper Archive 500, David K. Levine.
- Kandori, M. & Mailath, G.J., 1991. "Learning, Mutation, And Long Run Equilibria In Games," Papers 71, Princeton, Woodrow Wilson School - John M. Olin Program.
- E. Kohlberg & J.-F. Mertens, 1998.
"On the Strategic Stability of Equilibria,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
445, David K. Levine.
- Aumann, Robert J, 1987.
"Correlated Equilibrium as an Expression of Bayesian Rationality,"
Econometric Society, vol. 55(1), pages 1-18, January.
- R. Aumann, 2010. "Correlated Equilibrium as an expression of Bayesian Rationality," Levine's Bibliography 513, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Robert J. Aumann, 2010. "Correlated Equilibrium as an expression of Bayesian Rationality," Levine's Working Paper Archive 661465000000000377, David K. Levine.
- Corchon, Luis C., 1994.
"Fixed price and quality signals,"
Mathematical Social Sciences,
Elsevier, vol. 27(1), pages 49-58, February.
- Eichberger, J. & Haller, H. & Milne, F., 1993.
"Naive Bayesian learning in 2 x 2 matrix games,"
Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 69-90, September.
- Marhuenda, F, 1995. "Distribution of Income and Aggregation of Demand," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 63(3), pages 647-66, May.
- Ebbe Hendon & Hans Jørgen Jacobsen & Michael Teit Nielsen & Birgitte Sloth, 1990. "A Learning Process for Games," Discussion Papers 90-20, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics.
- Herrero, Carmen & Villar, Antonio, 1991.
"Vector mappings with diagonal images,"
Mathematical Social Sciences,
Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 57-67, August.
- Luis Corchón, 1991.
"Oligopolistic Competition Among Groups,"
Working Papers. Serie AD
1991-05, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Dow, James & Werlang, Sergio Ribeiro da Costa, 1992. "Uncertainty Aversion, Risk Aversion, and the Optimal Choice of Portfolio," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 60(1), pages 197-204, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ivi:wpasad:1993-01. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Departamento de Edición)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.