Dual approaches to utility
This paper surveys some basic results on the representation of consumer preferences using duality methods. It has been prepared for inclusion in the forthcoming Handbook of Utility Theory. It is aimed at graduate students who have a solid background in economics but have not seen too much about this topic. The main purpose of the paper is to show how learning something about duality methods can make utility analysis much easier. To emphasise this, an optimal tax example is given at the beginning of the survey. The usual representations are discussed: the cost function; the indirect utility function; the distance function and the profit function. Examples of the use of each are given. The emphasis everywhere is on how quick and easy many duality methods are; relatively little attention is paid to mathematical detail.
|Date of creation:||Oct 1993|
|Publication status:||Published by Ivie|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: C/ Guardia Civil, 22, Esc 2a, 1o, E-46020 VALENCIA|
Phone: +34 96 319 00 50
Fax: +34 96 319 00 55
Web page: http://www.ivie.es/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cook, Philip J, 1972. "A 'One Line' Proof of the Slutsky Equation," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 62(1), pages 139-139, March.
- Thomas E. MaCurdy, 1980. "An Empirical Model of Labor Supply in a Life Cycle Setting," NBER Working Papers 0421, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Browning, Martin & Meghir, Costas, 1991. "The Effects of Male and Female Labor Supply on Commodity Demands," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(4), pages 925-951, July.
- Herrero, Carmen & Villar, Antonio, 1991.
"Vector mappings with diagonal images,"
Mathematical Social Sciences,
Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 57-67, August.
- Antonio Villar Notario & Carmen Herrero Blanco, 1990. "Vector mappings with diagonal images," Working Papers. Serie AD 1990-01, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Browning, M J, 1983. "Necessary and Sufficient Conditions for Conditional Cost Functions," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 51(3), pages 851-856, May.
- Mirman, Leonard J & Samuelson, Larry & Urbano, Amparo, 1993. "Monopoly Experimentation," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 34(3), pages 549-563, August.
- Mirman, L.J. & Samuelson, L. & Urbano, A., 1989. "Monopoly Experimentation," Papers 8-89-7, Pennsylvania State - Department of Economics.
- Amparo Urbano Salvador & Larry Samuelson & Leonard J. Mirman, 1990. "Monopoly experimentation," Working Papers. Serie AD 1990-04, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Bevia, Carmen & Corchon, Luis, 1995. "On the Generic Impossibility of Truthful Behavior: A Simple Approach," Economic Theory, Springer;Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory (SAET), vol. 6(2), pages 365-371, July.
- Luis Corchón & Carmen Beviá Baeza, 1993. "On The Generic Impossibility Of Truthful Behavior: A Simple Approach," Working Papers. Serie AD 1993-06, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Begoña Subiza Martínez, 1993. "Numerical Representation Of Acyclic Preferences," Working Papers. Serie AD 1993-09, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Browning, Martin & Deaton, Angus & Irish, Margaret, 1985. "A Profitable Approach to Labor Supply and Commodity Demands over the Life-Cycle," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 53(3), pages 503-543, May.
- Heckman, James J, 1974. "Life Cycle Consumption and Labor Supply: An Explanation of the Relationship Between Income and Consumption Over the Life Cycle," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 64(1), pages 188-194, March.
- Antonio Villar Notario, 1991. "A "Classical" General Equilibrium Model," Working Papers. Serie AD 1991-11, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Marhuenda, F, 1995. "Distribution of Income and Aggregation of Demand," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 63(3), pages 647-666, May. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ivi:wpasad:1993-10. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Departamento de Edición)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.