Extensive vs. Intensive Margin in Japan
This paper studies the role of extensive and intensive margins of labor adjustment overbusiness cycle in Japan. We find that the intensive margin accounts for much of total hours worked variation, and its contribution to the fluctuation of total hours worked is about 77%. This result is in sharp contrast with those in the U.S. and European countries where the extensive margin mainly accounts for the overall variability in total hours worked. The implication of a recent rise in non-regular employment for firms' labor adjustment behavior is also discussed.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 777 Kokusai-cho, Minami Uonuma0-shi, Niigata 949-7277 JAPAN|
Web page: http://www.iuj.ac.jp/research/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Shigeru Fujita & Garey Ramey, 2007.
"The cyclicality of separation and job finding rates,"
07-19, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Shigeru Fujita & Garey Ramey, 2009. "The Cyclicality Of Separation And Job Finding Rates," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 50(2), pages 415-430, 05.
- E. Paul Durrenberger, 2012. "Labour," Chapters, in: A Handbook of Economic Anthropology, Second Edition, chapter 8 Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Barbara Petrongolo & Christopher Pissarides, 2008.
"The ins and outs of European unemployment,"
LSE Research Online Documents on Economics
3658, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Barbara Petrongolo & Christopher A. Pissarides, 2008. "The Ins and Outs of European Unemployment," CEP Discussion Papers dp0853, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Barbara Petrongolo & Christopher Pissarides, 2008. "The ins and outs of European unemployment," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 3607, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Petrongolo, Barbara & Pissarides, Christopher, 2008. "The Ins and Outs of European Unemployment," CEPR Discussion Papers 6681, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Petrongolo, Barbara & Pissarides, Christopher A., 2008. "The Ins and Outs of European Unemployment," IZA Discussion Papers 3315, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Julen ESTEBAN-PRETEL & NAKAJIMA Ryo & TANAKA Ryuichi, 2009.
"Are Contingent Jobs Dead Ends or Stepping Stones to Regular Jobs? Evidence from a Structural Estimation,"
09002, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI).
- Esteban-Pretel, Julen & Nakajima, Ryo & Tanaka, Ryuichi, 2011. "Are contingent jobs dead ends or stepping stones to regular jobs? Evidence from a structural estimation," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 18(4), pages 513-526, August.
- Christian Merkl & Dennis Wesselbaum, 2009.
"Extensive vs. Intensive Margin in Germany and the United States: Any Differences?,"
Kiel Working Papers
1563, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Merkl, Christian & Wesselbaum, Dennis, 2009. "Extensive vs. intensive margin in Germany and the United States: any differences?," Kiel Working Papers 1563, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- Merkl, Christian & Wesselbaum, Dennis, 2010. "Extensive vs. Intensive Margin in Germany and the United States: Any Differences?," IZA Discussion Papers 5117, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Hiroaki Miyamoto, 2009.
"Cyclical Behavior of Unemployment and Job Vacancies in Japan,"
EMS_2009_17, Research Institute, International University of Japan.
- Miyamoto, Hiroaki, 2011. "Cyclical behavior of unemployment and job vacancies in Japan," Japan and the World Economy, Elsevier, vol. 23(3), pages 214-225.
- Lin, Ching-Yang & Miyamoto, Hiroaki, 2012.
"Gross worker flows and unemployment dynamics in Japan,"
Journal of the Japanese and International Economies,
Elsevier, vol. 26(1), pages 44-61.
- Ching-Yang Lin & Hiroaki Miyamoto, 2010. "Gross Worker Flows and Unemployment Dynamics in Japan," Working Papers EMS_2010_07, Research Institute, International University of Japan.
- Rebick, Marcus, 2005. "The Japanese Employment System: Adapting to a New Economic Environment," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199247240, December.
- Lee E. Ohanian & Andrea Raffo, 2011.
"Aggregate hours worked in OECD countries: new measurement and implications for business cycles,"
International Finance Discussion Papers
1039, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Ohanian, Lee E. & Raffo, Andrea, 2012. "Aggregate hours worked in OECD countries: New measurement and implications for business cycles," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 59(1), pages 40-56.
- Lee E. Ohanian & Andrea Raffo, 2011. "Aggregate Hours Worked in OECD Countries: New Measurement and Implications for Business Cycles," NBER Working Papers 17420, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iuj:wpaper:ems_2012_14. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Kazumi Imai, Office of Academic Affairs)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.