Fertility Choice Under Child Mortality and Social Norms
In most demographic transitions, declines in child mortality precede declines in net fertility rates. Variants of the Barro-Becker model of fertility fail to deliver this link. A simple extension, the inclusion of social norms regarding fertility, generates the desired effect.
|Date of creation:||10 Feb 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +1 515.294.6741
Fax: +1 515.294.0221
Web page: http://www.econ.iastate.edu
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hideaki Goto, 2008. "Social norms, inequality and fertility," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 10(13), pages 1-9.
- John C. Caldwell, 2004. "Demographic Theory: A Long View," Population and Development Review, The Population Council, Inc., vol. 30(2), pages 297-316.
- Chong, Alberto & Duryea, Suzanne & La Ferrara, Eliana, 2008.
"Soap Operas and Fertility: Evidence from Brazil,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
6785, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Eliana La Ferrara & Suzanne Duryea & Alberto E. Chong, 2008. "Soap Operas and Fertility: Evidence from Brazil," IDB Publications (Working Papers) 6743, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Eliana La Ferrara & Alberto Chong & Suzanne Duryea, 2008. "Soap Operas and Fertility: Evidence from Brazil," Research Department Publications 4573, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Palivos, Theodore, 2001. "Social norms, fertility and economic development," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 25(12), pages 1919-1934, December.
- Oded Galor, 2011.
"The Demographic Transition: Causes and Consequences,"
NBER Working Papers
17057, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Oded Galor, 2012. "The demographic transition: causes and consequences," Cliometrica, Journal of Historical Economics and Econometric History, Association Française de Cliométrie (AFC), vol. 6(1), pages 1-28, January.
- Galor, Oded, 2011. "The Demographic Transition: Causes and Consequences," CEPR Discussion Papers 8249, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Oded Galor, 2010. "The Demographic Transition: Causes and Consequences," Working Papers 2010-12, Brown University, Department of Economics.
- Galor, Oded, 2012. "The Demographic Transition: Causes and Consequences," IZA Discussion Papers 6334, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Matthias Doepke, 2002.
"Child Mortality and Fertility Decline: Does the Barro-Becker Model Fit the Facts?,"
UCLA Economics Working Papers
824, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Matthias Doepke, 2005. "Child mortality and fertility decline: Does the Barro-Becker model fit the facts?," Journal of Population Economics, Springer, vol. 18(2), pages 337-366, 06.
- Luis Angeles, 2008.
"Demographic Transitions: analyzing the effects of mortality on fertility,"
2008_25, Business School - Economics, University of Glasgow.
- Luis Angeles, 2010. "Demographic transitions: analyzing the effects of mortality on fertility," Journal of Population Economics, Springer, vol. 23(1), pages 99-120, January.
- Angeles, Luis, 2008. "Demographic Transitions: analyzing the effects of mortality on fertility," SIRE Discussion Papers 2008-33, Scottish Institute for Research in Economics (SIRE).
- Sebnem Kalemli-Ozcan, 2008. "The uncertain lifetime and the timing of human capital investment," Journal of Population Economics, Springer, vol. 21(3), pages 557-572, July.
- Munshi, Kaivan & Myaux, Jacques, 2006. "Social norms and the fertility transition," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 80(1), pages 1-38, June.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:10:y:2008:i:13:p:1-9 is not listed on IDEAS
- Richard Easterlin & Robert Pollak & Michael L. Wachter, 1980. "Toward a More General Economic Model of Fertility Determination: Endogenous Preferences and Natural Fertility," NBER Chapters, in: Population and Economic Change in Developing Countries, pages 81-150 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ronald Lee, 2003. "The Demographic Transition: Three Centuries of Fundamental Change," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 17(4), pages 167-190, Fall.
- George A. Akerlof, 1997. "Social Distance and Social Decisions," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 65(5), pages 1005-1028, September.
- Robert J. Barro & Gary S. Becker, .
"Fertility Choice in a Model of Economic Growth,"
University of Chicago - Population Research Center
88-8, Chicago - Population Research Center.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:isu:genres:34911. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Stephanie Bridges)The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Stephanie Bridges to update the entry or send us the correct address
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.