Investment in Next Generation Networks and the Role of Regulation: A Real Option Approach
The current regulatory debate in the telecommunications industry in Europe and elsewhere is dominated by the issue of if and how to regulate next generation networks (NGN) which operators plan to roll out in the near future. The crucial issue is whether an extension of current regulatory obligations onto future networks would hamper the investment by large European operators. The paper applies a real option model to explain the investment decision in next generation networks. One important result of the model is that regulation affects the investment decision only in the initial period when uncertainty is still very high. The real option model has been calibrated with parameters drawn from real data for a new entrant and from educated estimates for an established operator. Four different regulatory regimes and their impact on the timing of the investments have been simulated: a temporary regulatory holiday is shown to be an effective regulatory tool in order to induce immediate investments.
|Date of creation:||2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: https://aquila1.iseg.ulisboa.pt/aquila/departamentos/EC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Beard, T. Randolph & Kaserman, David L. & Mayo, John W., 2003. "Regulation, competition, and the optimal recovery of stranded costs," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 21(6), pages 831-848, June.
- Geske, Robert & Shastri, Kuldeep, 1985. "Valuation by Approximation: A Comparison of Alternative Option Valuation Techniques," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 20(01), pages 45-71, March.
- Pindyck Robert S., 2007.
"Mandatory Unbundling and Irreversible Investment in Telecom Networks,"
Review of Network Economics,
De Gruyter, vol. 6(3), pages 1-25, September.
- Robert S. Pindyck, 2004. "Mandatory Unbundling and Irreversible Investment in Telecom Networks," NBER Working Papers 10287, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Evans, Lewis & Guthrie, Graeme, 2005.
"Risk, Price Regulation, and Irreversible Investment,"
Working Paper Series
3880, Victoria University of Wellington, The New Zealand Institute for the Study of Competition and Regulation.
- Evans, Lewis T. & Guthrie, Graeme A., 2005. "Risk, price regulation, and irreversible investment," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 23(1-2), pages 109-128, February.
- Cox, John C. & Ross, Stephen A. & Rubinstein, Mark, 1979. "Option pricing: A simplified approach," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(3), pages 229-263, September.
- Black, Fischer & Scholes, Myron S, 1973. "The Pricing of Options and Corporate Liabilities," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 81(3), pages 637-54, May-June.
- Ian M. Dobbs, 2004. "Intertemporal price cap regulation under uncertainty," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 114(495), pages 421-440, 04.
- Jerry A. Hausman, 1997. "Valuing the Effect of Regulation on New Services in Telecommunications," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 28(1997 Micr), pages 1-54.
- Robert C. Merton, 1973. "Theory of Rational Option Pricing," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 4(1), pages 141-183, Spring.
- Sarmento, Paula & Brandão, António, 2007.
"Access pricing: A comparison between full deregulation and two alternative instruments of access price regulation, cost-based and retail-minus,"
Elsevier, vol. 31(5), pages 236-250, June.
- Paula Sarmento & António Brandão, 2006. "Access Pricing: A Comparison Between Full Deregulation and Two Alternative Instruments of Access Price Regulation, Cost-Based and Retail-Minus," CEF.UP Working Papers 0603, Universidade do Porto, Faculdade de Economia do Porto.
- Graeme Guthrie, 2006. "Regulating Infrastructure: The Impact on Risk and Investment," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 44(4), pages 925-972, December.
- repec:tpr:qjecon:v:101:y:1986:i:4:p:707-27 is not listed on IDEAS
- James E. Smith & Robert F. Nau, 1995. "Valuing Risky Projects: Option Pricing Theory and Decision Analysis," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 41(5), pages 795-816, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ise:isegwp:wp312007. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Vitor Escaria)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.