Application of the American Real Flexible Switch Options Methodology A Generalized Approach
The paper deals with the inclusion of flexibility in financial decision-making under risk. It describes the application of the real options methodology with the possibility of sequential multinomial decision-making. The basic intention is to describe and apply a generalized approach and methodology of the flexibility modeling and valuation based on multiple choices and non-symmetrical switching costs under risk. The stochastic dynamic Bellman optimization principle is explained and applied. The optimization criterion of the present expected value is derived and used. Likewise, an option valuation approach based on replication strategy and risk-neutral probability is applied. An illustrative example of the application of the real multinomial flexible non-symmetrical switch options methodology is presented for three chosen modes. The option flexible values are computed. The usefulness, effectiveness, and suitability of applying the generalized flexibility model in company valuation and project evaluation is verified and confirmed. The significance of applying the generalized methodology in transition market economies is discussed and verified.
Volume (Year): 58 (2008)
Issue (Month): 05-06 (August)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +420 2 222112330
Fax: +420 2 22112304
Web page: http://ies.fsv.cuni.cz/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Madan, Dilip B & Milne, Frank & Shefrin, Hersh, 1989.
"The Multinomial Option Pricing Model and Its Brownian and Poisson Limits,"
Review of Financial Studies,
Society for Financial Studies, vol. 2(2), pages 251-65.
- Frank Milne & Dilip Madan & Hersh Shefrin, 1990. "The Multinomial Option Pricing Model and Its Brownian and Poisson Limits," Working Papers 1162, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Dangl, Thomas & Wirl, Franz, 2004. "Investment under uncertainty: calculating the value function when the Bellman equation cannot be solved analytically," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 28(7), pages 1437-1460, April.
- Cox, John C. & Ross, Stephen A. & Rubinstein, Mark, 1979. "Option pricing: A simplified approach," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(3), pages 229-263, September.
- Boyle, Phelim P., 1988. "A Lattice Framework for Option Pricing with Two State Variables," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 23(01), pages 1-12, March.
- repec:tpr:qjecon:v:101:y:1986:i:4:p:707-27 is not listed on IDEAS
- Black, Fischer & Scholes, Myron S, 1973. "The Pricing of Options and Corporate Liabilities," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 81(3), pages 637-54, May-June.
- Fontes, Dalila B.M.M., 2008. "Fixed versus flexible production systems: A real options analysis," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 188(1), pages 169-184, July.
- De Reyck, Bert & Degraeve, Zeger & Vandenborre, Roger, 2008. "Project options valuation with net present value and decision tree analysis," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 184(1), pages 341-355, January.
- Boyle, Phelim P & Evnine, Jeremy & Gibbs, Stephen, 1989. "Numerical Evaluation of Multivariate Contingent Claims," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 2(2), pages 241-50.
- Trigeorgis, Lenos, 1991. "A Log-Transformed Binomial Numerical Analysis Method for Valuing Complex Multi-Option Investments," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 26(03), pages 309-326, September.
- Zmeskal, Zdenek, 2001. "Application of the fuzzy-stochastic methodology to appraising the firm value as a European call option," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 135(2), pages 303-310, December.
- James E. Smith & Robert F. Nau, 1995. "Valuing Risky Projects: Option Pricing Theory and Decision Analysis," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 41(5), pages 795-816, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fau:fauart:v:58:y:2008:i:5-6:p:261-275. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lenka Herrmannova)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.