The Multinomial Option Pricing Model and Its Brownian and Poisson Limits
The Cox, Ross, and Rubinstein binomial model is generalized to the multinomial case. Limits are investigated and shown to yield the Black-Scholes formula in the case of continuous sample paths for a wide variety of complete market structures. In the discontinuous case a Merton-type formula is shown to result, provided jump probabilities are replaced by their corresponding Arrow-Debreu prices.
|Date of creation:||Jan 1990|
|Publication status:||Published in The Review of Financial Studies, 1989 Volume 2, Number 2, pp. 251-265|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Kingston, Ontario, K7L 3N6|
Phone: (613) 533-2250
Fax: (613) 533-6668
Web page: http://qed.econ.queensu.ca/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Merton, Robert C., 1977. "On the pricing of contingent claims and the Modigliani-Miller theorem," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(2), pages 241-249, November.
- Darrell Duffie & Chi-Fu Huang, 2005.
"Implementing Arrow-Debreu Equilibria By Continuous Trading Of Few Long-Lived Securities,"
World Scientific Book Chapters,in: Theory Of Valuation, chapter 4, pages 97-127
World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd..
- Duffie, J Darrell & Huang, Chi-fu, 1985. "Implementing Arrow-Debreu Equilibria by Continuous Trading of Few Long-lived Securities," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 53(6), pages 1337-1356, November.
- David M. Kreps, 1982. "Multiperiod Securities and the Efficient Allocation of Risk: A Comment on the Black-Scholes Option Pricing Model," NBER Chapters,in: The Economics of Information and Uncertainty, pages 203-232 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Harrison, J. Michael & Pliska, Stanley R., 1981. "Martingales and stochastic integrals in the theory of continuous trading," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 11(3), pages 215-260, August.
- Merton, Robert C., 1976.
"Option pricing when underlying stock returns are discontinuous,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 3(1-2), pages 125-144.
- Merton, Robert C., 1975. "Option pricing when underlying stock returns are discontinuous," Working papers 787-75., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Black, Fischer & Scholes, Myron S, 1973. "The Pricing of Options and Corporate Liabilities," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 81(3), pages 637-654, May-June.