An Improved Binomial Lattice Method for Multi-Dimensional Options
A binomial lattice approach is proposed for valuing options whose payoff depends on multiple state variables following correlated geometric Brownian processes. The proposed approach relies on two simple ideas: a log-transformation of the underlying processes, which is step by step consistent with the continuous-time diffusions, and a change of basis of the asset span, to transform asset prices into uncorrelated processes. An additional transformation is applied to approximate driftless dynamics. Even if these features are simple and straightforward to implement, it is shown that they significantly improve the efficiency of the multi-dimensional binomial algorithm. A thorough test of efficiency is provided compared with most popular binomial and trinomial lattice approaches for multi-dimensional diffusions. Although the order of convergence is the same for all lattice approaches, the proposed method shows improved efficiency.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 14 (2007)
Issue (Month): 5 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAMF20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/RAMF20|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Breen, Richard, 1991. "The Accelerated Binomial Option Pricing Model," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 26(02), pages 153-164, June.
- Brennan, Michael J & Schwartz, Eduardo S, 1977. "The Valuation of American Put Options," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 32(2), pages 449-62, May.
- Amin, Kaushik I., 1991. "On the Computation of Continuous Time Option Prices Using Discrete Approximations," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 26(04), pages 477-495, December.
- Ekvall, Niklas, 1996. "A lattice approach for pricing of multivariate contingent claims," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 91(2), pages 214-228, June.
- Cox, John C & Ingersoll, Jonathan E, Jr & Ross, Stephen A, 1985. "An Intertemporal General Equilibrium Model of Asset Prices," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 53(2), pages 363-84, March.
- Broadie, Mark & Detemple, Jerome, 1996. "American Option Valuation: New Bounds, Approximations, and a Comparison of Existing Methods," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 9(4), pages 1211-50.
- Gonzalo Cortazar & Eduardo S. Schwartz & Marcelo Salinas, 1998. "Evaluating Environmental Investments: A Real Options Approach," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 44(8), pages 1059-1070, August.
- Broadie, Mark & Glasserman, Paul, 1997. "Pricing American-style securities using simulation," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 21(8-9), pages 1323-1352, June.
- Boyle, Phelim P., 1988. "A Lattice Framework for Option Pricing with Two State Variables," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 23(01), pages 1-12, March.
- Boyle, Phelim P., 1977. "Options: A Monte Carlo approach," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 4(3), pages 323-338, May.
- Chen, Ren-Raw & Chung, San-Lin & Yang, Tyler T., 2002. "Option Pricing in a Multi-Asset, Complete Market Economy," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 37(04), pages 649-666, December.
- Constantinides, George M, 1978. "Market Risk Adjustment in Project Valuation," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 33(2), pages 603-16, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:apmtfi:v:14:y:2007:i:5:p:453-475. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.