Delivery Options In Futures Contracts And Basis Behavior At Contract Maturity
This paper estimates values of the delivery options implicit in the CBOT corn futures contract. Joint values of the timing and location options are estimated for the years 1989-97. By interacting the effects of the two delivery options, a potentially more accurate estimates are obtained. Two models are presented that rely on different assumptions about the institutional setup of the delivery process. The first model approximates the discreteness of the three day delivery process, while the second model relies on an assumption of immediate delivery that is consistent with the existing literature on pricing options. Individual hedgers can use these models to help them make delivery decisions. When all the costs of delivery are incorporated, true value of the delivery options can be obtained analytically. This can then be used to determine possible mispricing in the market as well as optimality of delivering early or delaying delivery. The estimated option values are used to explain the variability of bases in the deliverable locations. This application is useful for the exchange in evaluating hedging performance of futures contracts with respect to the delivery options embedded in them.
|Date of creation:||2000|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.agebb.missouri.edu/ncrext/ncr134/|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Madan, Dilip B & Milne, Frank & Shefrin, Hersh, 1989.
"The Multinomial Option Pricing Model and Its Brownian and Poisson Limits,"
Review of Financial Studies,
Society for Financial Studies, vol. 2(2), pages 251-65.
- Frank Milne & Dilip Madan & Hersh Shefrin, 1990. "The Multinomial Option Pricing Model and Its Brownian and Poisson Limits," Working Papers 1162, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Cox, John C. & Ross, Stephen A. & Rubinstein, Mark, 1979. "Option pricing: A simplified approach," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(3), pages 229-263, September.
- Boyle, Phelim P, 1989. " The Quality Option and Timing Option in Futures Contracts," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 44(1), pages 101-13, March.
- Johnson, Herb, 1987. "Options on the Maximum or the Minimum of Several Assets," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 22(03), pages 277-283, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ags:ncrtci:18936. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (AgEcon Search)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.