Cross-Country Performance in Social Integration of Older Migrants. A European Perspective
This paper provides new empirical evidence on the relationship between migration and social integration. It explores the hypothesis that migrants essentially differ from non-migrants with regard to the length of residence in the country – which is a proxy of migrants’ social distance to natives. The determinants of social participation and interpersonal trust are examined at both the individual and institutional level. Using SHARE data and macroeconomic series, we first analyse the influence of immigrant length of stay in the host country on social integration indicators. We then examine the role institutional characteristics play on cross-country differences in speed of social integration (i.e. immigrants’ propensity to social participation according to their length of stay in the host country). As expected, the immigrant population presents a lower likelihood than the native population to get involved in social activities and to trust other people. Nevertheless, the more immigrants have spent time in the host country, the more they take part in social activities. The analysis also reveals significant cross-country differences in immigrants’ speed of social integration. Macroeconomic series like the GINI coefficient of income inequality and the Corruption perceived index could explain these differences. From a public policy perspective, our results suggest that immigrants’ social integration is more rapidly achieved in “fair” countries – i.e. those with a more favourable social environment – where the levels of income inequality and perceived corruption are lower.
|Date of creation:||Mar 2012|
|Date of revision:||Mar 2012|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 117bis rue Manin, 75019 Paris|
Phone: 33 1 53 93 43 00
Fax: 33 1 53 93 43 50
Web page: http://www.irdes.fr
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Alberto Alesina & Eliana La Ferrara, 2000.
"Participation in Heterogeneous Communities,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 115(3), pages 847-904.
- Alberto Alesina & Eliana La Ferrara, "undated". "Participation in Heterogeneous Communities," Working Papers 151, IGIER (Innocenzo Gasparini Institute for Economic Research), Bocconi University.
- La Ferrara, Eliana & Alesina, Alberto, 2000. "Participation in Heterogeneous Communities," Scholarly Articles 4551796, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Alberto Alesina & Eliana La Ferrara, 1999. "Participation in Heterogeneous Communities," NBER Working Papers 7155, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Florence Jusot & Sandy Tubeuf & Alain Trannoy, 2010. "Effort or Circumstances: Does the Correlation Matter for Inequality of Opportunity in Health?," Working Papers DT33, IRDES institut for research and information in health economics, revised Jul 2010.
- Éloi Laurent, 2009. "Peut-on se fier à la confiance ?," Revue de l'OFCE, Presses de Sciences-Po, vol. 0(1), pages 5-30.
- Eloi Laurent, 2009. "Peut-on se fier à la confiance ?," Sciences Po publications info:hdl:2441/eu4vqp9ompq, Sciences Po.
- Åslund, Olof & Böhlmark, Anders & Nordström Skans, Oskar, 2009. "Age at migration and social integration," Working Paper Series 2009:21, IFAU - Institute for Evaluation of Labour Market and Education Policy.
- Aslund, Olof & Böhlmark, Anders & Nordström Skans, Oskar, 2009. "Age at Migration and Social Integration," IZA Discussion Papers 4263, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Olof Aslund & Anders Bohlmark & Oskar Nordstrom Skans, 2009. "Age at migration and social integration," CReAM Discussion Paper Series 0927, Centre for Research and Analysis of Migration (CReAM), Department of Economics, University College London.
- de Palo, Domenico & Faini, Riccardo & Venturini, Alessandra, 2006. "The Social Assimilation of Immigrants," IZA Discussion Papers 2439, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Domenico de Palo & Riccardo Faini & Alessandra Venturini, 2007. "The Social Assimilation of Immigrants," Development Working Papers 225, Centro Studi Luca d'Agliano, University of Milano.
- de Palo, Domenico & Faini, Riccardo & Venturini, Alessandra, 2006. "The Social Assimilation of Immigrants," CEPR Discussion Papers 5992, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- de Palo, Domenico & Faini, Riccardo & Venturini, Alessandra, 2007. "The social assimilation of immigrants," Social Protection and Labor Policy and Technical Notes 38578, The World Bank.
- Edward L. Glaeser & David Laibson & Bruce Sacerdote, 2002. "An Economic Approach to Social Capital," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 112(483), pages 437-458, November.
- B. d'Hombres & L. Rocco & M. Suhrcke & M. McKee, 2010. "Does social capital determine health? Evidence from eight transition countries," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 19(1), pages 56-74.
- d'Hombres, Beatrice & Rocco, Lorenzo & Suhrcke, Marc & McKee, Martin, 2006. "Does social capital determine health? Evidence from eight transition countries," MPRA Paper 1862, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Carine Franc & Marc Perronnin & Aurélie Pierre, 2010. "Subscribing to Supplemental Health Insurance in France: A Dynamic Analysis of Adverse Selection," Working Papers DT35, IRDES institut for research and information in health economics, revised Dec 2010.
- Catherine Pollak, 2012. "Employed and Happy despite Weak Health? Labour Market Participation and Job Quality of Older Workers with Disabilities," Working Papers DT45, IRDES institut for research and information in health economics, revised Mar 2012.
- Emmanuelle Cambois & Florence Jusot, 2010. "Monitoring Health Inequalities in France: A Short Tool for Routine Health SUrvey to Account for LifeLong Adverse Experiences," Working Papers DT30, IRDES institut for research and information in health economics, revised Mar 2010.
- Peter Dinesen, 2011. "A Note on the Measurement of Generalized Trust of Immigrants and Natives," Social Indicators Research: An International and Interdisciplinary Journal for Quality-of-Life Measurement, Springer, vol. 103(1), pages 169-177, August.
- Mousquès, Julien & Bourgueil, Yann & Le Fur, Philippe & Yilmaz, Engin, 2010. "Effect of a French experiment of team work between general practitioners and nurses on efficacy and cost of type 2 diabetes patients care," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 98(2-3), pages 131-143, December.
- Julien Mousquès & Yann Bourgueil & Philippe Le Fur & Engin Yilmaz, 2010. "Effect of a French Experiment of Team Work between General Practitioners and Nurses on Efficacy and Cost of Type 2 Diabetes Patients Care," Working Papers DT29, IRDES institut for research and information in health economics, revised Jan 2010.
- Jan Fidrmuc & Klarita G??rxhani, 2005. "Formation of social capital in Central and Eastern Europe: Understanding the gap vis-??-vis developed countries," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series wp766, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Fidrmuc, Jan & Gërxhani, Klarita, 2005. "Formation of Social Capital in Central and Eastern Europe: Understanding the Gap Vis-a-Vis Developed Countries," CEPR Discussion Papers 5068, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Thierry Debrand & Christine Sorasith, 2010. "Out-of-Pocket Maximum Rules under a Compulsatory Health Care Insurance Scheme: A Choice between Equality and Equity," Working Papers DT34, IRDES institut for research and information in health economics, revised Nov 2010.
- Aleksynska, Mariya, 2011. "Civic participation of immigrants in Europe: Assimilation, origin, and destination country effects," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 27(3), pages 566-585, September.
- Mohamed Ali Ben Halima & Thierry Debrand, 2011. "Durée d’arrêt de travail, salaire et Assurance maladie : application microéconométrique à partir de la base Hygie," Working Papers DT42, IRDES institut for research and information in health economics, revised Sep 2011.
- Clément Nestrigue & Zeynep Or, 2012. "Estimation du surcoût des événements indésirables associés aux soins à l'hôpital en France," Working Papers DT44, IRDES institut for research and information in health economics, revised Feb 2012. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:irh:wpaper:dt46. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jacques Harrouin)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.