The case for regional development intervention: Place-based versus place-neutral approaches
The paper examines the debates regarding place-neutral versus place-based policies for economic development. The analysis is set in the context of how development policy thinking on the part of both scholars and international organizations has evolved over several decades. Many of the previously accepted arguments have been called into question by the impacts of globalization and a new response to these issues has emerged, a response both to these global changes and also to non-spatial development approaches. The debates are highlighted in the context of a series of major reports recently published on the topic. The cases of the developing world and of the European Union are used as examples of how in this changing context development intervention should increasingly focus on efficiency and social inclusion at the expense of an emphasis on territorial convergence and how strategies should consider economic, social, political and institutional diversity in order to maximize both the local and the aggregate potential for economic development.
|Date of creation:||06 Sep 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in Journal of Regional Science 52(1), February 2012: 134-152|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Veláquez 76, 28001 Madrid|
Web page: http://www.cienciassociales.imdea.org/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Paul Krugman & Anthony J. Venables, 1995.
"Globalization and the Inequality of Nations,"
NBER Working Papers
5098, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Krugman, Paul & Venables, Anthony J., 1995. "Globalization and the Inequality of Nations," Working Paper Series 430, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Krugman, Paul & Venables, Anthony J, 1994. "Globalization and the Inequality of Nations," CEPR Discussion Papers 1015, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Roberts, Mark & Deichmann, Uwe & Fingleton, Bernard & Shi, Tuo, 2010. "On the road to prosperity ? The economic geography of China's national expressway network," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5479, The World Bank.
- Andrés Rodríguez-Pose & Riccardo Crescenzi, 2008.
"Research and development, spillovers, innovation systems, and the genesis of regional growth in Europe,"
LSE Research Online Documents on Economics
23326, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Andres Rodriguez-Pose & Riccardo regstdcenzi, 2008. "Research and Development, Spillovers, Innovation Systems, and the Genesis of Regional Growth in Europe," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 42(1), pages 51-67.
- Riccardo Crescenzi & Andrés Rodriguez-Pose & Michael Storper, 2007.
"The territorial dynamics of innovation: a Europe-United States comparative analysis,"
Journal of Economic Geography,
Oxford University Press, vol. 7(6), pages 673-709, November.
- Riccardo Crescenzi & Andrés Rodríguez-Pose & Michael Storper, 2007. "The territorial dynamics of innovation: a Europe-United States comparative analysis," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 23328, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Germà Bel & Xavier Fageda, 2008.
"Getting there fast: globalization, intercontinental flights and location of headquarters,"
Journal of Economic Geography,
Oxford University Press, vol. 8(4), pages 471-495, July.
- Germà Bel & Xavier Fageda, 2005. "Getting there fast: Globalization, intercontinental flights and location of headquarters," Urban/Regional 0511008, EconWPA.
- Andres RodrIguez-Pose & Ugo Fratesi†, 2004.
"Between Development and Social Policies: The Impact of European Structural Funds in Objective 1 Regions,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 38(1), pages 97-113.
- Andrés Rodríguez-Pose & Ugo Fratesi, 2003. "Between development and social policies: the impact of European Structural Funds in Objective 1 Regions," European Economy Group Working Papers 28, European Economy Group.
- Thomas Farole & Andrés Rodríguez-Pose & Michael Storper, 2010.
"Cohesion policy in the European Union: Growth, geography, institutions,"
2010-14, Instituto Madrileño de Estudios Avanzados (IMDEA) Ciencias Sociales.
- Thomas Farole & Andrés Rodríguez‐Pose & Michael Storper, 2011. "Cohesion Policy in the European Union: Growth, Geography, Institutions," Journal of Common Market Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 49(5), pages 1089-1111, 09.
- Sandy Dall'Erba & Julie Le Gallo, 2008.
"Regional convergence and the impact of European structural funds over 1989-1999 : a spatial econometric analysis,"
- Sandy Dall'erba & Julie Le Gallo, 2008. "Regional convergence and the impact of European structural funds over 1989-1999: A spatial econometric analysis," Papers in Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 87(2), pages 219-244, 06.
- Sandy Dall'erba & Julie Le Gallo, 2003. "Regional Convergence And The Impact Of European Structural Funds Over 1989-1999: A Spatial Econometric Analysis," Urban/Regional 0310005, EconWPA, revised 12 Feb 2004.
- James A. Robinson & Daron Acemoglu, 2000. "Political Losers as a Barrier to Economic Development," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 90(2), pages 126-130, May.
- Philip McCann, 2007. "Globalization and economic geography: the world is curved, not flat," Cambridge Journal of Regions, Economy and Society, Cambridge Political Economy Society, vol. 1(3), pages 351-370.
- repec:hhs:iuiwop:430 is not listed on IDEAS
- J. H. Ll. Dewhurst & P. Mccann, 2002. "A Comparison of Measures of Industrial Specialization For Travel-to-work Areas in Great Britain, 1981-1997," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 36(5), pages 541-551.
- Fabian Barthel & Matthias Busse & Eric Neumayer, 2010.
"The impact of double taxation treaties on foreign direct investment: evidence from large dyadic panel data,"
LSE Research Online Documents on Economics
28823, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Fabian Barthel & Matthias Busse & Eric Neumayer, 2010. "The Impact Of Double Taxation Treaties On Foreign Direct Investment: Evidence From Large Dyadic Panel Data," Contemporary Economic Policy, Western Economic Association International, vol. 28(3), pages 366-377, 07.
- Sapir, Andre & Aghion, Philippe & Bertola, Giuseppe & Hellwig, Martin & Pisani-Ferry, Jean & Rosati, Dariusz & Vinals, Jose & Wallace, Helen, 2004.
"An Agenda for a Growing Europe: The Sapir Report,"
Oxford University Press, number 9780199271498, December.
- André Sapir & Philippe Aghion & Giuseppe Bertola & Martin Hellwig & Jean Pisani-Ferry & Bernard Lange & José Viñals & Helen Wallace & Marco Buti & Mario Nava & Peter Smith, 2004. "An agenda for a growing Europe: the Sapir report," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/8070, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Andy Pike & Andres Rodriguez-Pose & John Tomaney, 2007. "What Kind of Local and Regional Development and for Whom?," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 41(9), pages 1253-1269.
- John Tomaney & Andy Pike & Andrés Rodríguez-Pose, 2010. "Local and regional development in times of crisis," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 42(4), pages 771-779, April.
- Jamie Peck & Eric Sheppard, 2010. "Worlds Apart? Engaging with the "World Development Report 2009: Reshaping Economic Geography"," Economic Geography, Clark University, vol. 86(4), pages 331-340, October.
- Alan M. Rugman & Alain Verbeke, 2005. "Towards a Theory of Regional Multinationals: A Transaction Cost Economics Approach," Working Papers 2005-04, Indiana University, Kelley School of Business, Department of Business Economics and Public Policy.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:imd:wpaper:wp2011-15. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (IMDEA RePEc Maintainer)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.