Towards a Theory of Regional Multinationals: A Transaction Cost Economics Approach
This paper develops new theory to help explain the recent empirical work that demonstrates the profound lack of global sales, with 320 of the 380 largest firms in the world averaging 80% of their sales within their home region. Transaction cost economics (TCE) concepts are used to explain why large firms adopt regional, rather than global, strategies. A new theory of international management built to explain regional-level strategy and structure is developed. In this, a firm's geographic scope of sales is limited by the predominant regional reach of its firm level capabilities, due to TCE reasons.
|Date of creation:||2005|
|Publication status:||PUblished in Management International Review, 2005|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 1309 East Tenth Street, Room 451, Bloomington, IN 47405-1701|
Web page: http://kelley.iu.edu/bepp/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Alan M Rugman & Alain Verbeke, 2003. "Extending the theory of the multinational enterprise: internalization and strategic management perspectives," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Academy of International Business, vol. 34(2), pages 125-137, March.
- Alan M. Rugman & Alain Verbeke, 2003.
"Multinational enterprises and public policy,"
in: The New Economic Analysis of Multinationals, chapter 7
Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Alan M Rugman & Alain Verbeke, 1992. "A Note on the Transnational Solution and the Transaction Cost Theory of Multinational Strategic Management," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Academy of International Business, vol. 23(4), pages 761-771, December.
- Frankel, Jeffrey & Stein, Ernesto & Wei, Shang-jin, 1995. "Trading blocs and the Americas: The natural, the unnatural, and the super-natural," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 47(1), pages 61-95, June.
- Alan M. Rugman & Alain Verbeke, 2004.
"A Perspective on Regional and Global Strategies of Multinational Enterprises,"
2004-19, Indiana University, Kelley School of Business, Department of Business Economics and Public Policy.
- Alan M Rugman & Alain Verbeke, 2004. "A perspective on regional and global strategies of multinational enterprises," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Academy of International Business, vol. 35(1), pages 3-18, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iuk:wpaper:2005-04. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Rick Harbaugh)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.