Gender and Ethnic Wage Gaps in Guatemala from a Matching Comparisons Perspective
This paper analyzes gender and ethnic wage gaps in Guatemala for the period 2000-2006, applying a matching comparisons technique, finding pronounced wage gaps along both gender and ethnic dimensions, the latter being greater. Wage gaps in Guatemala are partially explained by differences in human capital characteristics, especially education, between indigenous and non-indigenous and males and females, which calls for equalization of educational opportunities for the population. However, wage gaps are greater than differences in education would predict, which suggests the need for interventions: information campaigns to generate consciousness regarding the need to provide more equal opportunities in labor markets according to each individual’s productivity.
|Date of creation:||Jul 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 1300 New York Avenue, NW, Washington, DC 20577|
Web page: http://www.iadb.org/res
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- James Heckman & Pedro Carneiro, 2003.
"Human Capital Policy,"
NBER Working Papers
9495, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Alberto Chong & Hugo Ñopo, 2007.
"Discrimination in Latin America: An Elephant in the Room?,"
Research Department Publications
4536, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Alberto E. Chong & Hugo R. Ñopo, 2007. "Discrimination in Latin America: An Elephant in the Room?," IDB Publications (Working Papers) 6851, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Suzanne Duryea & Sebastian Galiani & Hugo Ñopo & Claudia Piras, 2007.
"The Educational Gender Gap in Latin America and the Caribbean,"
Research Department Publications
4510, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Suzanne Duryea & Sebastián Galiani & Claudia Piras & Hugo R. Ñopo, 2007. "The Educational Gender Gap in Latin America and the Caribbean," IDB Publications (Working Papers) 6721, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Enriqueta Camps & Maria Camou & Silvana Maubrigades & Natalia Mora-Sitja, 2006. "Globalization and wage inequality in South and East Asia, and Latin America: A gender approach," Economics Working Papers 970, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Hugo Ñopo, 2004.
"The Gender Wage Gap in Peru 1986-2000: Evidence from a Matching Comparisons Approach,"
Departamento de Economía, Facultad de Ciencias Económicas, Universidad Nacional de La Plata, vol. 0(1-2), pages 9-37, January-D.
- Hugo Nopo, 2009. "The Gender Wage Gap in Peru 1986-2000: Evidence from a Matching Comparisons Approach," Research Department Publications 4618, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- Hugo R. Ñopo, 2009. "The Gender Wage Gap in Peru 1986-2000: Evidence from a Matching Comparisons Approach," IDB Publications (Working Papers) 6763, Inter-American Development Bank.
- Pagan, Jose A, 2002. "Gender Differences in Labor Market Decisions in Rural Guatemala," Review of Development Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 6(3), pages 428-41, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:idb:wpaper:4587. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Monica Bazan)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.