Wage growth and career patterns of German low-wage workers
"Using administrative linked employer-employee data from Germany, this paper analyses the real wage growth and career patterns of full-time employed low-wage workers between 2001 and 2006. Multivariate models accounting for sample selection demonstrate the relevance of individual characteristics and firm heterogeneity in this context. I observe substantial upward and downward wage mobility in the low-wage sector, with the worst-paid workers having considerably higher relative wage growth than better-paid workers. The majority of those lowwage workers who had escaped the low-wage sector by 2004 were still higher-paid two years later, indicating that their upward mobility is not just a transitory phenomenon." (Author's abstract, IAB-Doku) ((en))
|Date of creation:||20 Jan 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Regensburger Str. 104, D-90327 Nürnberg|
Web page: http://www.iab.de/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Thorsten Schank & Claus Schnabel & Jens Stephani, 2009.
"Geringverdiener: Wem und wie gelingt der Aufstieg?,"
Journal of Economics and Statistics (Jahrbuecher fuer Nationaloekonomie und Statistik),
Justus-Liebig University Giessen, Department of Statistics and Economics, vol. 229(5), pages 584-614, October.
- Schank, Thorsten & Schnabel, Claus & Stephani, Jens, 2008. "Geringverdiener: Wem und wie gelingt der Aufstieg?," IAB Discussion Paper 200814, Institut für Arbeitsmarkt- und Berufsforschung (IAB), Nürnberg [Institute for Employment Research, Nuremberg, Germany].
- Schank, Thorsten & Schnabel, Claus & Stephani, Jens, 2008. "Geringverdiener: wem und wie gelingt der Aufstieg?," Discussion Papers 57, Friedrich-Alexander University Erlangen-Nuremberg, Chair of Labour and Regional Economics.
- J. Scott Long & Jeremy Freese, 2006. "Regression Models for Categorical Dependent Variables using Stata, 2nd Edition," Stata Press books, StataCorp LP, edition 2, number long2, September.
- Wiemer Salverda, 2007. "Low-wage employment and the role of the firm," Reflets et perspectives de la vie économique, De Boeck Université, vol. 0(2), pages 47-63.
- Uta SchÃ¶nberg, 2007. "Wage Growth Due to Human Capital Accumulation and Job Search: A Comparison between the United States and Germany," ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 60(4), pages 562-586, July.
- Lorenzo Cappellari & Stephen P. Jenkins, 2004.
"Modelling Low Pay Transition Probabilities, Accounting for Panel Attrition, Non-Response, and Initial Conditions,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
1232, CESifo Group Munich.
- Cappellari, Lorenzo & Jenkins, Stephen P., 2004. "Modelling low pay transition probabilities, accounting for panel attrition, non-response, and initial conditions," ISER Working Paper Series 2004-08, Institute for Social and Economic Research.
- Stewart, M.B. & Swaffield, J.K., 1997.
"Low Pay Dynamics and Transition Probabilities,"
The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS)
495, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Robert H. Topel, 1990.
"Specific Capital, Mobility, and Wages: Wages Rise with Job Seniority,"
NBER Working Papers
3294, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Topel, Robert H, 1991. "Specific Capital, Mobility, and Wages: Wages Rise with Job Seniority," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 99(1), pages 145-76, February.
- Cappellari, Lorenzo, 2001.
"Earnings mobility among Italian low paid workers,"
ISER Working Paper Series
2001-13, Institute for Social and Economic Research.
- Greene,William H. & Hensher,David A., 2010.
"Modeling Ordered Choices,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521194204, November.
- Mosthaf, Alexander & Schank, Thorsten & Schnabel, Claus, 2009.
"Low-wage employment versus unemployment: which one provides better prospects for women?,"
65, Friedrich-Alexander University Erlangen-Nuremberg, Chair of Labour and Regional Economics.
- Alexander Mosthaf & Thorsten Schank & Claus Schnabel, 2014. "Low-wage employment versus unemployment: Which one provides better prospects for women?," IZA Journal of European Labor Studies, Springer;Forschungsinstitut zur Zukunft der Arbeit GmbH (IZA), vol. 3(1), pages 1-17, December.
- Mosthaf, Alexander & Schank, Thorsten & Schnabel, Claus, 2009. "Low-Wage Employment versus Unemployment: Which One Provides Better Prospects for Women?," IZA Discussion Papers 4611, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Mosthaf, Alexander & Schank, Thorsten & Schnabel, Claus, 2009. "Low-wage employment versus unemployment: which one provides better prospects for women?," FAU Discussion Papers in Economics 14/2009, Friedrich-Alexander University Erlangen-Nuremberg, Institute for Economics.
- Richard Williams, 2006. "Generalized ordered logit/partial proportional odds models for ordinal dependent variables," Stata Journal, StataCorp LP, vol. 6(1), pages 58-82, March.
- Siebert, W S & Addison, J T, 1991. "Internal Labour Markets: Causes and Consequences," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 7(1), pages 76-92, Spring.
- Uhlendorff, Arne, 2006.
"From No Pay to Low Pay and Back Again? A Multi-State Model of Low Pay Dynamics,"
IZA Discussion Papers
2482, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Arne Uhlendorff, 2006. "From No Pay to Low Pay and Back Again?: A Multi-State Model of Low Pay Dynamics," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 648, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Peter Jacobebbinghaus & Stefan Seth, 2007. "European Data Watch: The German Integrated Employment Biographies Sample IEBS," Schmollers Jahrbuch : Journal of Applied Social Science Studies / Zeitschrift für Wirtschafts- und Sozialwissenschaften, Duncker & Humblot, Berlin, vol. 127(2), pages 335-342.
- Cappellari, Lorenzo, 2002. " Do the 'Working Poor' Stay Poor? An Analysis of Low Pay Transitions in Italy," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 64(2), pages 87-110, May.
- Guertzgen, Nicole & Heinze, Anja, 2010. "Should low-wage workers care about where they work? Assessing the impact of employer characteristics on low-wage mobility," ZEW Discussion Papers 10-054, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Stewart, Mark, 2006.
"The Inter-related Dynamics of Unemployment and Low-Wage Employment,"
The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS)
741, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Mark B. Stewart, 2007. "The interrelated dynamics of unemployment and low-wage employment," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 22(3), pages 511-531.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:iab:iabdpa:201201. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (IAB, Geschäftsbereich Dokumentation und Bibliothek)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.