Overreaction and Multiple Tail Dependence at the High-frequency Level — The Copula Rose
This paper applies a non- and a semiparametric copula-based approach to analyze the first-order autocorrelation of returns in high frequency financial time series. Using the EUREX D3047 tick data from the German stock index, it can be shown that the temporal dependence structure of price movements is not always negatively correlated as assumed in the stylized facts in the finance literature. Depending on the sampling frequency, the estimated copulas exhibit some kind of overreaction phenomena and multiple tail dependence, revealing patterns similar to the compass rose.
|Date of creation:||Dec 2006|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Spandauer Str. 1,10178 Berlin|
Web page: http://sfb649.wiwi.hu-berlin.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Porter, David & Smith, Vernon L., 2008. "Price Bubbles," Handbook of Experimental Economics Results, Elsevier.
- Andrew J. Patton, 2006. "Estimation of multivariate models for time series of possibly different lengths," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 21(2), pages 147-173.
- Goodhart, C. A. E. & Figliuoli, L., 1991. "Every minute counts in financial markets," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 10(1), pages 23-52, March.
- Wang, Huaiqing & Wang, Chen, 2002. "Visibility of the compass rose in financial asset returns: A quantitative study," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 26(6), pages 1099-1111, June.
- Sushil Bikhchandani & David Hirshleifer & Ivo Welch, 2010.
"A theory of Fads, Fashion, Custom and cultural change as informational Cascades,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
1193, David K. Levine.
- Bikhchandani, Sushil & Hirshleifer, David & Welch, Ivo, 1992. "A Theory of Fads, Fashion, Custom, and Cultural Change in Informational Cascades," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 100(5), pages 992-1026, October.
- Meddahi, Nour & Mykland, Per & Shephard, Neil, 2011. "Realized Volatility," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 160(1), pages 1-1, January.
- Chen, Xiaohong & Fan, Yanqin, 2006. "Estimation and model selection of semiparametric copula-based multivariate dynamic models under copula misspecification," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 135(1-2), pages 125-154.
- Neville Francis & Valerie A. Ramey, 2004.
"The Source of Historical Economic Fluctuations: An Analysis using Long-Run Restrictions,"
NBER Working Papers
10631, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Neville Francis & Valerie A. Ramey, 2006. "The Source of Historical Economic Fluctuations: An Analysis Using Long-Run Restrictions," NBER Chapters, in: NBER International Seminar on Macroeconomics 2004, pages 17-73 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bollerslev, Tim & Domowitz, Ian, 1993. " Trading Patterns and Prices in the Interbank Foreign Exchange Market," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 48(4), pages 1421-43, September.
- Kramer, Walter & Runde, Ralf, 1997. "Chaos and the compass rose," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 54(2), pages 113-118, February.
- Zeira, Joseph, 1999.
"Informational overshooting, booms, and crashes,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 43(1), pages 237-257, February.
- Torben G. Andersen & Tim Bollerslev & Nour Meddahi, 2005. "Correcting the Errors: Volatility Forecast Evaluation Using High-Frequency Data and Realized Volatilities," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 73(1), pages 279-296, 01.
- Chen, Xiaohong & Fan, Yanqin, 2006. "Estimation of copula-based semiparametric time series models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 130(2), pages 307-335, February.
- Wang, Eliza & Hudson, Robert & Keasey, Kevin, 2000. "Tick size and the compass rose: further insights," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 68(2), pages 119-125, August.
- Szpiro, George G., 1998. "Tick size, the compass rose and market nanostructure," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 22(12), pages 1559-1569, December.
- Charlie Cai & Robert Hudson & Kevin Keasey, 2003. "Trading frequency and the compass rose," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 10(8), pages 511-517.
- Chen, Song Xi, 1999. "Beta kernel estimators for density functions," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 31(2), pages 131-145, August.
- Huang, Roger D & Stoll, Hans R, 1994. "Market Microstructure and Stock Return Predictions," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 7(1), pages 179-213.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hum:wpaper:sfb649dp2006-086. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (RDC-Team)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.