The tick/volatility ratio as a determinant of the compass rose pattern
This study provides evidence that low frequency data masks certain returns phenomena in the foreign exchange (forex) market. It is shown that the compass rose pattern is entirely absent in daily returns in the spot and futures forex markets. In contrast, the intraday returns, especially those for holding periods of less than an hour, clearly exhibit the pattern. Monte Carlo investigation of the tick/volatility ratio provides convincing evidence that the pattern appears only if the tick/volatility ratio is above some threshold level. Since intraday returns have a ratio above the threshold value, they exhibit the pattern. On the other hand, the absence of the pattern in daily returns is due to the fact that the spot and futures currency returns examined have a ratio much smaller than the threshold value. Overall, the evidence is consistent with the hypothesis that the tick/volatility ratio is a determinant of the compass rose pattern. The economic implications of this pattern are discussed.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 11 (2005)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/REJF20|
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.tandfonline.com/pricing/journal/REJF20|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Caporale, Guglielmo Maria & Hassapis, Christis & Pittis, Nikitas, 1998. "Conditional Leptokurtosis and Non-Linear Dependence in Exchange Rate Returns," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 20(5), pages 581-601, October.
- Kramer, Walter & Runde, Ralf, 1997. "Chaos and the compass rose," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 54(2), pages 113-118, February.
- Goodhart, C. A. E. & Figliuoli, L., 1991. "Every minute counts in financial markets," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 10(1), pages 23-52, March.
- Crack, Timothy Falcon & Ledoit, Olivier, 1996. " Robust Structure without Predictability: The "Compass Rose" Pattern of the Stock Market," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 51(2), pages 751-62, June.
- Harris, Lawrence, 1990. "Estimation of Stock Price Variances and Serial Covariances from Discrete Observations," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 25(03), pages 291-306, September.
- Elyasiani, Elyas & Kocagil, Ahmet E., 2001. "Interdependence and dynamics in currency futures markets: A multivariate analysis of intraday data," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 25(6), pages 1161-1186, June.
- Alvaro Almeida & Richard Payne & Charles Goodhart, 1997.
"The Effects of Macroeconomic News on High Frequency Exchange Rate Behaviour,"
FMG Discussion Papers
dp258, Financial Markets Group.
- Almeida, Alvaro & Goodhart, Charles & Payne, Richard, 1998. "The Effects of Macroeconomic News on High Frequency Exchange Rate Behavior," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 33(03), pages 383-408, September.
- Christopher J. Neely & Paul A. Weller, 2001.
"Intraday technical trading in the foreign exchange market,"
1999-016, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Neely, C. J. & Weller, P. A., 2003. "Intraday technical trading in the foreign exchange market," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 223-237, April.
- Paul Weller & Christopher Neely, 1999. "Intraday Technical Trading in the Foreign Exchange Market," Working Papers wp99-02, Warwick Business School, Finance Group.
- Bollerslev, Tim & Chou, Ray Y. & Kroner, Kenneth F., 1992. "ARCH modeling in finance : A review of the theory and empirical evidence," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 52(1-2), pages 5-59.
- Harvey, Campbell R & Huang, Roger D, 1991. "Volatility in the Foreign Currency Futures Market," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 4(3), pages 543-69.
- Wang, Huaiqing & Wang, Chen, 2002. "Visibility of the compass rose in financial asset returns: A quantitative study," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 26(6), pages 1099-1111, June.
- Muller, Ulrich A. & Dacorogna, Michel M. & Olsen, Richard B. & Pictet, Olivier V. & Schwarz, Matthias & Morgenegg, Claude, 1990. "Statistical study of foreign exchange rates, empirical evidence of a price change scaling law, and intraday analysis," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 14(6), pages 1189-1208, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:taf:eurjfi:v:11:y:2005:i:2:p:93-109. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.