Stock Price Clustering and Discreteness: The "Compass Rose" and Predictability
In this letter we investigate the information provided by the "compass rose" (Crack, T.F. and Ledoit, O. (1996), Journal of Finance, 51(2), pg. 751-762) patterns revealed in phase portraits of daily stock returns. It has been initially suggested that the compass rose is just a manifestation of price clustering and discreteness and the tick size, factors that can affect the unbiasedness of an array of statistical tests based on stock returns. We show that this may not entirely be the case.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Andrew W. Lo & A. Craig MacKinlay, 1987.
"Stock Market Prices Do Not Follow Random Walks: Evidence From a Simple Specification Test,"
NBER Working Papers
2168, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Andrew W. Lo, A. Craig MacKinlay, 1988. "Stock Market Prices do not Follow Random Walks: Evidence from a Simple Specification Test," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 1(1), pages 41-66.
- Wang, Eliza & Hudson, Robert & Keasey, Kevin, 2000. "Tick size and the compass rose: further insights," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 68(2), pages 119-125, August.
- Brock, William A & Baek, Ehung G, 1991. "Some Theory of Statistical Inference for Nonlinear Science," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 58(4), pages 697-716, July.
- Wang, Huaiqing & Wang, Chen, 2002. "Visibility of the compass rose in financial asset returns: A quantitative study," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 26(6), pages 1099-1111, June.
- Catherine Kyrtsou & Michel Terraza, 2003. "Is it Possible to Study Chaotic and ARCH Behaviour Jointly? Application of a Noisy Mackey–Glass Equation with Heteroskedastic Errors to the Paris Stock Exchange Returns Series," Computational Economics, Society for Computational Economics, vol. 21(3), pages 257-276, June.
- Amilon, Henrik, 2003. "GARCH estimation and discrete stock prices: an application to low-priced Australian stocks," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 81(2), pages 215-222, November.
- Fang, Yue, 2002. "The compass rose and random walk tests," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 39(3), pages 299-310, May.
- Antoniou, Antonios & Vorlow, Constantinos E., 2004. "Recurrence quantification analysis of wavelet pre-filtered index returns," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 344(1), pages 257-262.
- Antonios Antoniou & Constantinos E. Vorlow, 2004. "Price Clustering and Discreteness: Is there Chaos behind the Noise?," Papers cond-mat/0407471, arXiv.org.
- An-Sing Chen, 1997. "The square compass rose: the evidence from Taiwan," Journal of Multinational Financial Management, Elsevier, vol. 7(2), pages 127-144, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:arx:papers:cond-mat/0408013. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (arXiv administrators)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.