Price clustering and discreteness: is there chaos behind the noise?
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
- Antoniou, Antonios & Vorlow, Constantinos E., 2004. "Recurrence quantification analysis of wavelet pre-filtered index returns," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 344(1), pages 257-262.
- Victor Niederhoffer, 1965. "A New Look at Clustering of Stock Prices," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 39, pages 309-309.
- Mandelbrot, Benoit B., 1999. "Renormalization and fixed points in finance, since 1962," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 263(1), pages 477-487.
- Fang, Yue, 2002. "The compass rose and random walk tests," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 39(3), pages 299-310, May.
- Hsieh, David A, 1991. " Chaos and Nonlinear Dynamics: Application to Financial Markets," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 46(5), pages 1839-1877, December.
- Szpiro, George G., 1998. "Tick size, the compass rose and market nanostructure," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 22(12), pages 1559-1569, December.
- Mayfield, E Scott & Mizrach, Bruce, 1992. "On Determining the Dimension of Real-Time Stock-Price Data," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 10(3), pages 367-374, July.
- Ausloos, M. & Vandewalle, N. & Boveroux, Ph. & Minguet, A. & Ivanova, K., 1999. "Applications of statistical physics to economic and financial topics," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 274(1), pages 229-240.
- Kramer, Walter & Runde, Ralf, 1997. "Chaos and the compass rose," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 54(2), pages 113-118, February.
- Gleason, Kimberly C. & Lee, Chun I. & Mathur, Ike, 2000. "An explanation for the compass rose pattern," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 68(2), pages 127-133, August.
- Cho, David Chinhyung & Frees, Edward W, 1988. " Estimating the Volatility of Discrete Stock Prices," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 43(2), pages 451-466, June.
- Chun I. Lee & Kimberly C. Gleason & Ike Mathur, 1999. "A comprehensive examination of the compass rose pattern in futures markets," Journal of Futures Markets, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 19(5), pages 541-564, August.
- Ramsey, James B & Sayers, Chera L & Rothman, Philip, 1990.
"The Statistical Properties of Dimension Calculations Using Small Data Sets: Some Economic Applications,"
International Economic Review,
Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 31(4), pages 991-1020, November.
- Ramsey, J.B. & Sayers, C.L. & Rothman, P., 1988. "The Statistical Properties Of Dimension Calculations Using Small Data Sets: Some Economic Applications," Papers 15, Houston - Department of Economics.
- Wang, Eliza & Hudson, Robert & Keasey, Kevin, 2000. "Tick size and the compass rose: further insights," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 68(2), pages 119-125, August.
- Brock, W.A., 1991. "Some Theory of Statistical Inference for Nonlinear Science : Expanded Version," Working papers 9101, Wisconsin Madison - Social Systems.
- Clifford A. Ball & Walter N. Torous & Adrian E. Tschoegl, 1985. "The degree of price resolution: The case of the gold market," Journal of Futures Markets, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 5(1), pages 29-43, March.
- William A. Brock & Ehung G. Baek, 1991. "Some Theory of Statistical Inference for Nonlinear Science," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 58(4), pages 697-716.
- Ramsey, J.B., 2002. "Wavelets in Economics and Finance: Past and Future," Working Papers 02-02, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Catherine Kyrtsou & Michel Terraza, 2003. "Is it Possible to Study Chaotic and ARCH Behaviour Jointly? Application of a Noisy Mackey–Glass Equation with Heteroskedastic Errors to the Paris Stock Exchange Returns Series," Computational Economics, Springer;Society for Computational Economics, vol. 21(3), pages 257-276, June.
- Ramsey James B., 2002. "Wavelets in Economics and Finance: Past and Future," Studies in Nonlinear Dynamics & Econometrics, De Gruyter, vol. 6(3), pages 1-29, November.
- Kyrtsou, Catherine & Terraza, Michel, 2002. "Stochastic chaos or ARCH effects in stock series?: A comparative study," International Review of Financial Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 11(4), pages 407-431.
- James Theiler & Stephen Eubank, 1993. "Don't Bleach Chaotic Data," Working Papers 93-05-026, Santa Fe Institute.
- An-Sing Chen, 1997. "The square compass rose: the evidence from Taiwan," Journal of Multinational Financial Management, Elsevier, vol. 7(2), pages 127-144, June.
- LeBaron Blake, 1997. "A Fast Algorithm for the BDS Statistic," Studies in Nonlinear Dynamics & Econometrics, De Gruyter, vol. 2(2), pages 1-9, July.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Viviana Fernandez & Brian M Lucey, 2006.
"Portfolio management implications of volatility shifts: Evidence from simulated data,"
Documentos de Trabajo
219, Centro de Economía Aplicada, Universidad de Chile.
- Viviana Fernandez & Brian M. Lucey, 2006. "Portfolio management implications of volatility shifts: Evidence from simulated data," The Institute for International Integration Studies Discussion Paper Series iiisdp131, IIIS.
- Fernandez, Viviana & Lucey, Brian M., 2007. "Portfolio management under sudden changes in volatility and heterogeneous investment horizons," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 375(2), pages 612-624.
- repec:spt:apfiba:v:7:y:2017:i:4:f:7_4_2 is not listed on IDEAS
- Emmanuel Haven & Xiaoquan Liu & Chenghu Ma & Liya Shen, 2013. "Revealing the Implied Risk-neutral MGF with the Wavelet Method," WISE Working Papers 2013-10-14, Wang Yanan Institute for Studies in Economics (WISE), Xiamen University.
- Chakrabarty, Anindya & De, Anupam & Gunasekaran, Angappa & Dubey, Rameshwar, 2015. "Investment horizon heterogeneity and wavelet: Overview and further research directions," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 429(C), pages 45-61.
- Leontitsis, Alexandros & Vorlow, Constantinos E., 2006. "Accounting for outliers and calendar effects in surrogate simulations of stock return sequences," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 368(2), pages 522-530.
- Münnix, Michael C. & Schäfer, Rudi & Guhr, Thomas, 2010. "Impact of the tick-size on financial returns and correlations," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 389(21), pages 4828-4843.
- Marisa Faggini, 2011. "Chaotic Time Series Analysis in Economics: Balance and Perspectives," Working papers 25, Former Department of Economics and Public Finance "G. Prato", University of Torino.
- Mitchell, Heather & McKenzie, Michael D., 2006. "A note on the Wang and Wang measure of the quality of the compass rose," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 30(12), pages 3519-3524, December.
- Haven, Emmanuel & Liu, Xiaoquan & Ma, Chenghu & Shen, Liya, 2009. "Revealing the implied risk-neutral MGF from options: The wavelet method," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 33(3), pages 692-709, March.
More about this item
KeywordsEconophysics; Price discreteness; Microstructure; Wavelets; Noise reduction; Complexity; Nonlinearity; Surrogate data analysis; Chaotic dynamics;
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:phsmap:v:348:y:2005:i:c:p:389-403. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu). General contact details of provider: http://www.journals.elsevier.com/physica-a-statistical-mechpplications/ .