The Effectiveness of Public Credit Guarantees in the Japanese Loan Market
This paper examines the effectiveness of public credit guarantee programs in not only increasing the availability of loans to small and medium enterprises (SMEs), but in also improving the ex-post performance of borrowing firms. Using a unique panel data set, we identify the effects of a massive credit guarantee program implemented by the Japanese government from 1998-2001. While we do find that the availability of loans increased for program participants, when loans were provided by undercapitalized banks the increased liquidity persisted for only a few years. Further, the ex-post performance of program participants, with the exception of firms with sizable net worth, deteriorated relative to their non-participating counterparts.
|Date of creation:||Sep 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Note:||3 September 2008, An earlier version of this paper circulated as "Effectiveness of Credit Guarantees in the Japanese Loan Market," 2006 RIETI Discussion Paper Series 06-E-04.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://cis.ier.hit-u.ac.jp/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Stephen D. Williamson, 1994.
"Do informational frictions justify federal credit programs?,"
Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland, pages 523-551.
- Williamson, Stephen D, 1994. "Do Informational Frictions Justify Federal Credit Programs?," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 26(3), pages 523-44, August.
- Mankiw, N Gregory, 1986.
"The Allocation of Credit and Financial Collapse,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 101(3), pages 455-70, August.
- Gale, William G., 1990.
"Federal lending and the market for credit,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 42(2), pages 177-193, July.
- Stulz, ReneM. & Johnson, Herb, 1985. "An analysis of secured debt," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(4), pages 501-521, December.
- Ben R. Craig & William E. Jackson, III & James B. Thomson, 2005. "SBA-loan guarantees and local economic growth," Working Paper 0503, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland.
- Barbara Sianesi, 2004. "An Evaluation of the Swedish System of Active Labor Market Programs in the 1990s," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 86(1), pages 133-155, February.
- Ben R. Craig & William E. Jackson, III & James B. Thomson, 2007. "On government intervention in the small-firm credit market and its effect on economic performance," Working Paper 0702, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland.
- Diamond, Douglas-W, 2001. "Should Japanese Banks Be Recapitalized?," Monetary and Economic Studies, Institute for Monetary and Economic Studies, Bank of Japan, vol. 19(2), pages 1-19, May.
- Taizo Motonishi & Hirshi Yoshikawa, 1999.
"Causes of the Long Stagnation of Japan During the 1990s: Financial or Real?,"
NBER Working Papers
7351, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Motonishi, Taizo & Yoshikawa, Hiroshi, 1999. "Causes of the Long Stagnation of Japan during the 1990s: Financial or Real?," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 181-200, September.
- Taizo Motonishi & Hiroshi Yoshikawa, 1999. "Causes of the Long Stagnation of Japan during the 1990fs: Financial or Real?," CIRJE F-Series CIRJE-F-56, CIRJE, Faculty of Economics, University of Tokyo.
- Salvatore Zecchini & Marco Ventura, 2009. "The impact of public guarantees on credit to SMEs," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 32(2), pages 191-206, February.
- Frederic S. Mishkin, 1995. "Symposium on the Monetary Transmission Mechanism," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 9(4), pages 3-10, Fall.
- Cowling, Marc, 2007.
"The Role of Loan Guarantee Schemes in Alleviating Credit Rationing in the UK,"
1613, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Cowling, Marc, 2010. "The role of loan guarantee schemes in alleviating credit rationing in the UK," Journal of Financial Stability, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 36-44, April.
- Gale, William G, 1991.
"Economic Effects of Federal Credit Programs,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 81(1), pages 133-52, March.
- Boot, Arnoud W A & Thakor, Anjan V & Udell, Gregory F, 1991. "Secured Lending and Default Risk: Equilibrium Analysis, Policy Implications and Empirical Results," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 101(406), pages 458-72, May.
- Xavier Freixas & Jean-Charles Rochet, 2008. "Microeconomics of Banking, 2nd Edition," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 2, volume 1, number 0262062704, June.
- Wenli Li, 1998. "Government loan, guarantee, and grant programs: an evaluation," Economic Quarterly, Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond, issue Fall, pages 25-52.
- Stiglitz, Joseph E & Weiss, Andrew, 1981. "Credit Rationing in Markets with Imperfect Information," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 71(3), pages 393-410, June.
- Riding, Allan L. & HainesJR., George, 2001. "Loan guarantees: Costs of default and benefits to small firms," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 16(6), pages 595-612, November.
- Bruce D. Smith & Michael J. Stutzer, 1989. "Credit Rationing and Government Loan Programs: A Welfare Analysis," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 17(2), pages 177-193.
- Innes, Robert, 1991. "Investment and government intervention in credit markets when there is asymmetric information," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 46(3), pages 347-381, December.
- de Meza, David & Webb, David C, 1987. "Too Much Investment: A Problem of Asymmetric Information," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 102(2), pages 281-92, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hit:piecis:400. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Digital Resources Section, Hitotsubashi University Library)The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Digital Resources Section, Hitotsubashi University Library to update the entry or send us the correct address
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.