An Empirical Model for Durations in Stocks
This paper considers an extension of the univariate autoregressive conditional duration model to which durations from a second stock are added. The model is empirically used to study durations in two traded stocks, Ericsson B and AstraZeneca, on the Stockholm Stock Exchange. It is found that including durations from a second stock may add explanatory power to the univariate model. Ericsson B is Granger causing durations in AstraZeneca, while AstraZeneca is not Granger causing durations in Ericsson B. Volume, spread and trade intensity changes have significant effects for both series.
|Date of creation:||05 Apr 2005|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Department of Economics, Umeå University, S-901 87 Umeå, Sweden|
Phone: 090 - 786 61 42
Fax: 090 - 77 23 02
Web page: http://www.econ.umu.se/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Grammig, Joachim & Wellner, Marc, 2002. "Modeling the interdependence of volatility and inter-transaction duration processes," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 106(2), pages 369-400, February.
- Robert F. Engle & Asger Lunde, 2003.
"Trades and Quotes: A Bivariate Point Process,"
Journal of Financial Econometrics,
Society for Financial Econometrics, vol. 1(2), pages 159-188.
- Engle, Robert F & Lunde, Asger, 1998. "Trades and Quotes: A Bivariate Point Process," University of California at San Diego, Economics Working Paper Series qt8bh079sq, Department of Economics, UC San Diego.
- BAUWENS, Luc & GALLI, Fausto & GIOT, Pierre, 2003.
"The moments of Log-ACD models,"
CORE Discussion Papers
2003011, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- BAUWENS, Luc & GIOT, Pierre & GRAMMIG, Joachim & VEREDAS, David, .
"A comparison of financial duration models via density forecasts,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
1746, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Bauwens, Luc & Giot, Pierre & Grammig, Joachim & Veredas, David, 2004. "A comparison of financial duration models via density forecasts," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 20(4), pages 589-609.
- Luc Bauwens & Pierre Giot & Joachim Grammig & David Veredas, 2004. "A comparison of financial duration models via density forecast," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/136218, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Luc Bauwens & Pierre Giot & Joachim Grammig & David Veredas, 2000. "A Comparison of Financial Duration Models via Density Forecasts," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 0810, Econometric Society.
- BAUWENS , Luc & GIOT, Pierre & GRAMMIG, Joachim & VEREDAS, David, 2000. "A comparison of financial duration models via density forecasts," CORE Discussion Papers 2000060, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Hansen, Lars Peter, 1982. "Large Sample Properties of Generalized Method of Moments Estimators," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(4), pages 1029-54, July.
- BAUWENS, Luc & HAUTSCH, Nikolaus, 2003. "Dynamic latent factor models for intensity processes," CORE Discussion Papers 2003103, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Easley, David & O'Hara, Maureen, 1992. " Time and the Process of Security Price Adjustment," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 47(2), pages 576-605, June.
- Robert F. Engle & Jeffrey R. Russell, 1998. "Autoregressive Conditional Duration: A New Model for Irregularly Spaced Transaction Data," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 66(5), pages 1127-1162, September.
- Granger, C W J, 1969. "Investigating Causal Relations by Econometric Models and Cross-Spectral Methods," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 37(3), pages 424-38, July.
- Kurt Brannas & Ola Simonsen, 2007.
"Discretized time and conditional duration modelling for stock transaction data,"
Applied Financial Economics,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 17(8), pages 647-658.
- Brännäs, Kurt & Simonsen, Ola, 2003. "Discretized Time and Conditional Duration Modelling for Stock Transaction Data," Umeå Economic Studies 610, Umeå University, Department of Economics.
- repec:adr:anecst:y:2000:i:60:p:09 is not listed on IDEAS
- Spierdijk, L. & Nijman, T.E. & van Soest, A.H.O., 2002. "Modeling Comovements in Trading Intensities to Distinguish Sector and Stock Specific News," Discussion Paper 2002-69, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hhs:umnees:0657. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (David Skog)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.