An Empirical Model for Durations in Stocks
This paper considers an extension of the univariate autoregressive conditional duration model to which durations from a second stock are added. The model is empirically used to study durations in two traded stocks, Ericsson B and AstraZeneca, on the Stockholm Stock Exchange. It is found that including durations from a second stock may add explanatory power to the univariate model. Ericsson B is Granger causing durations in AstraZeneca, while AstraZeneca is not Granger causing durations in Ericsson B. Volume, spread and trade intensity changes have significant effects for both series.
|Date of creation:||05 Apr 2005|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Department of Economics, Umeå University, S-901 87 Umeå, Sweden|
Phone: 090 - 786 61 42
Fax: 090 - 77 23 02
Web page: http://www.econ.umu.se/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hansen, Lars Peter, 1982. "Large Sample Properties of Generalized Method of Moments Estimators," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(4), pages 1029-1054, July.
- Grammig, Joachim & Wellner, Marc, 2002. "Modeling the interdependence of volatility and inter-transaction duration processes," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 106(2), pages 369-400, February.
- Bauwens, Luc & Giot, Pierre & Grammig, Joachim & Veredas, David, 2004.
"A comparison of financial duration models via density forecasts,"
International Journal of Forecasting,
Elsevier, vol. 20(4), pages 589-609.
- BAUWENS, Luc & GIOT, Pierre & GRAMMIG, Joachim & VEREDAS, David, "undated". "A comparison of financial duration models via density forecasts," CORE Discussion Papers RP 1746, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Luc Bauwens & Pierre Giot & Joachim Grammig & David Veredas, 2004. "A comparison of financial duration models via density forecast," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/136218, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Luc Bauwens & Pierre Giot & Joachim Grammig & David Veredas, 2000. "A Comparison of Financial Duration Models via Density Forecasts," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 0810, Econometric Society.
- BAUWENS , Luc & GIOT, Pierre & GRAMMIG, Joachim & VEREDAS, David, 2000. "A comparison of financial duration models via density forecasts," CORE Discussion Papers 2000060, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- BAUWENS, Luc & GALLi, Fausto & GIOT, Pierre, "undated". "The moments of Log-ACD models," CORE Discussion Papers RP 2023, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- BAUWENS, Luc & GALLI, Fausto & GIOT, Pierre, 2003. "The moments of Log-ACD models," CORE Discussion Papers 2003011, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Spierdijk, L. & Nijman, T.E. & van Soest, A.H.O., 2002. "Modeling Comovements in Trading Intensities to Distinguish Sector and Stock Specific News," Discussion Paper 2002-69, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Robert F. Engle & Asger Lunde, 2003. "Trades and Quotes: A Bivariate Point Process," Journal of Financial Econometrics, Society for Financial Econometrics, vol. 1(2), pages 159-188.
- Engle, Robert F & Lunde, Asger, 1998. "Trades and Quotes: A Bivariate Point Process," University of California at San Diego, Economics Working Paper Series qt8bh079sq, Department of Economics, UC San Diego.
- Kurt Brannas & Ola Simonsen, 2007. "Discretized time and conditional duration modelling for stock transaction data," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 17(8), pages 647-658.
- Brännäs, Kurt & Simonsen, Ola, 2003. "Discretized Time and Conditional Duration Modelling for Stock Transaction Data," Umeå Economic Studies 610, Umeå University, Department of Economics.
- BAUWENS, Luc & HAUTSCH, Nikolaus, 2003. "Dynamic latent factor models for intensity processes," CORE Discussion Papers 2003103, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Robert F. Engle & Jeffrey R. Russell, 1998. "Autoregressive Conditional Duration: A New Model for Irregularly Spaced Transaction Data," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 66(5), pages 1127-1162, September.
- Granger, C W J, 1969. "Investigating Causal Relations by Econometric Models and Cross-Spectral Methods," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 37(3), pages 424-438, July.
- Easley, David & O'Hara, Maureen, 1992. " Time and the Process of Security Price Adjustment," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 47(2), pages 576-605, June.
- repec:adr:anecst:y:2000:i:60:p:09 is not listed on IDEAS Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hhs:umnees:0657. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (David Skog)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.