Modelling Security Market Events in Continuous Time: Intensity Based, Multivariate Point Process Model
A continuous time econometric modelling framework for multivariate financial market event (or `transactions`) data is developed in which the model is specified via the vector stochastic intensity. This has the advantage that the conditioning sigma-field is updated continuously in time as new information arrives. The class of generalised Hawkes models is introduced which allows the estimation of the dependence of the intensity on the events of previous trading days. Analytic likelihoods are available and it is shown how to construct diagnostic tests based on the transformation of non-Poisson processes into standard Poisson processes using random changes of time. A proof of the validity of the diagnostic testing procedures is given that imposes only a very weak condition on the point process model, thus establishing their widespread applicability. A continuous time, bivariate point process model of the timing of trades and mid-quote changes is presented for a New York Stock Exchange stock and the empirical findings are related to the theoretical and empirical market microstructure literature. The two-way interaction of trades and quote changes is found to be important empirically.
|Date of creation:||01 Jan 2004|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.economics.ox.ac.uk/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Clive G. Bowsher, 2005.
"Modelling Security Market Events in Continuous Time: Intensity Based, Multivariate Point Process Models,"
2005-W26, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Bowsher, Clive G., 2007. "Modelling security market events in continuous time: Intensity based, multivariate point process models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 141(2), pages 876-912, December.
- Clive G. Bowsher, 2003. "Modelling Security Market Events in Continuous Time: Intensity Based, Multivariate Point Process Models," Economics Papers 2003-W03, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Clive Bowsher, 2002. "Modelling Security Market Events in Continuous Time: Intensity based, Multivariate Point Process Models," Economics Papers 2002-W22, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Alfonso Dufour & Robert F. Engle, 2000.
"Time and the Price Impact of a Trade,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 55(6), pages 2467-2498, December.
- Dufour, Alfonso & Engle, Robert F, 1999. "Time and the Price Impact of a Trade," University of California at San Diego, Economics Working Paper Series qt62c0h04j, Department of Economics, UC San Diego.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:oxf:wpaper:2003-w03. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Caroline Wise)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.