Integer-Valued Moving Average Modelling of the Number of Transactions in Stocks
The integer-valued moving average model is advanced to model the number of transactions in intra-day data of stocks. The conditional mean and variance properties are discussed and model extensions to include, e.g., explanatory variables are offered. Least squares and generalized method of moment estimators are presented. In a small Monte Carlo study the least squares estimator comes out as the best choice. Empirically we find support for the use of long-lag moving average models in a Swedish stock series. News about prices are found to exert a symmetric and positive effect on the number of transactions.
|Date of creation:||09 May 2004|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Department of Economics, Umeå University, S-901 87 Umeå, Sweden|
Phone: 090 - 786 61 42
Fax: 090 - 77 23 02
Web page: http://www.econ.umu.se/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kurt Brannas & Ola Simonsen, 2007.
"Discretized time and conditional duration modelling for stock transaction data,"
Applied Financial Economics,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 17(8), pages 647-658.
- Brännäs, Kurt & Simonsen, Ola, 2003. "Discretized Time and Conditional Duration Modelling for Stock Transaction Data," Umeå Economic Studies 610, Umeå University, Department of Economics.
- Hansen, Lars Peter, 1982. "Large Sample Properties of Generalized Method of Moments Estimators," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(4), pages 1029-1054, July.
- Robert F. Engle & Jeffrey R. Russell, 1998. "Autoregressive Conditional Duration: A New Model for Irregularly Spaced Transaction Data," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 66(5), pages 1127-1162, September.
- Nelson, Daniel B, 1991. "Conditional Heteroskedasticity in Asset Returns: A New Approach," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(2), pages 347-370, March.
- HEINEN, Andreas & RENGIFO, Erick, 2003. "Multivariate modelling of time series count data: an autoregressive conditional Poisson model," CORE Discussion Papers 2003025, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Brannas, Kurt & Hellstrom, Jorgen & Nordstrom, Jonas, 2002. "A new approach to modelling and forecasting monthly guest nights in hotels," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 19-30.
- Brännäs, Kurt & Hellström, Jörgen & Nordström, Jonas, 1999. "A New Approach to Modelling and Forecasting Monthly Guest Nights in Hotels," Umeå Economic Studies 503, Umeå University, Department of Economics.
- Lobato, Ignacio & Nankervis, John C & Savin, N E, 2001. "Testing for Autocorrelation Using a Modified Box-Pierce Q Test," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 42(1), pages 187-205, February.
- HEINEN, Andréas, 2003. "Modelling time series count data: an autoregressive conditional Poisson model," CORE Discussion Papers 2003062, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Heinen, Andreas, 2003. "Modelling Time Series Count Data: An Autoregressive Conditional Poisson Model," MPRA Paper 8113, University Library of Munich, Germany.