Is It How You Look or Speak That Matters? - An Experimental Study Exploring the Mechanisms of Ethnic Discrimination
Using a unique laboratory experiment where subjects are asked to guess the test performance of candidates presented by facial portraits and voice messages, this paper explores the following questions: Are beliefs about performance affected by if a candidate is perceived to have looks that are non-stereotypical for the dominant population and do these beliefs change if the candidate has native-like versus accented speech? The experiment is conducted in Sweden and the results show that candidates not perceived as stereotypically Swedish are considered to be worse performers. These beliefs are found in within-gender but not in cross-gender evaluations and are not eliminated when additional performance-related information about the candidates is provided. When candidates are presented by both looks and speech, differential evaluations based on looks disappear. Instead, we find strong negative beliefs about performance for candidates that speak Swedish with a foreign accent implying that ethnic stereotypes associated with speech override stereotypes associated with appearance. The negative beliefs associated with foreign-accented speech are not supported by corresponding mean differences in the candidates’ actual test performance.
|Date of creation:||01 Apr 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +46 8 16 20 00
Fax: +46 8 16 14 25
Web page: http://www.ne.su.se/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Åslund, Olof & Nordström Skans, Oskar, 2007.
"Do anonymous job application procedures level the playing field?,"
Working Paper Series
2007:31, IFAU - Institute for Evaluation of Labour Market and Education Policy.
- Olof Aslund & Oskar N. Skans, 2012. "Do Anonymous Job Application Procedures Level the Playing Field?," Industrial and Labor Relations Review, ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 65(1), pages 82-107, January.
- Davis, Douglas D., 1987. "Maximal quality selection and discrimination in employment," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 8(1), pages 97-112, March.
- Dickinson, David L. & Oaxaca, Ronald L., 2006.
"Statistical Discrimination in Labor Markets: An Experimental Analysis,"
IZA Discussion Papers
2305, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- David L. Dickinson & Ronald L. Oaxaca, 2009. "Statistical Discrimination in Labor Markets: An Experimental Analysis," Southern Economic Journal, Southern Economic Association, vol. 76(1), pages 16-31, July.
- David Dickinson & Ronald Oaxaca, 2004. "Statistical Discrimination in Labor Markets: An Experimental Analysis," Working Papers 2004-04, Utah State University, Department of Economics.
- David Dickinson & Ronald Oaxaca, 2005. "Statistical Discrimination in Labor Markets: An Experimental Analysis," Working Papers 05-11, Department of Economics, Appalachian State University.
- John List, 2004.
"The nature and extent of discrimination in the marketplace: Evidence from the field,"
Natural Field Experiments
00299, The Field Experiments Website.
- John A. List, 2004. "The Nature and Extent of Discrimination in the Marketplace: Evidence from the Field," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 119(1), pages 49-89, February.
- Arai, Mahmood & Bursell, Moa & Nekby, Lena, 2008.
"Between Meritocracy and Ethnic Discrimination: The Gender Difference,"
SULCIS Working Papers
2008:2, Stockholm University Linnaeus Center for Integration Studies - SULCIS.
- Arai, Mahmood & Bursell, Moa & Nekby, Lena, 2008. "Between Meritocracy and Ethnic Discrimination: The Gender Difference," IZA Discussion Papers 3467, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Arai, Mahmood & Moa Bursell , Moa & Nekby, Lena, 2008. "Between Meritocracy and Ethnic Discrimination: The Gender Difference," Research Papers in Economics 2008:4, Stockholm University, Department of Economics.
- Ali M. Ahmed & Lina Andersson & Mats Hammarstedt, 2010. "Can Discrimination in the Housing Market Be Reduced by Increasing the Information about the Applicants?," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 86(1), pages 79-90.
- Hamermesh, Daniel S & Biddle, Jeff E, 1994.
"Beauty and the Labor Market,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 84(5), pages 1174-94, December.
- Mobius, Markus & Rosenblat, Tanya, 2010.
"Why Beauty Matters,"
Staff General Research Papers
32112, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Heshmati, Almas & Maasoumi, Esfandiar, 1998.
"Stochastic Dominance Amongst Swedish Income Distributions,"
SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance
279, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Esfandiar Maasoumi & Almas Heshmati, 2000. "Stochastic dominance amongst swedish income distributions," Econometric Reviews, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 19(3), pages 287-320.
- Chris Papageorgiou & Nick Feltovich, .
"An Experimental Study of Statistical Discrimination by Employers,"
Departmental Working Papers
2001-07, Department of Economics, Louisiana State University.
- Nick Feltovich & Chris Papageorgiou, 2004. "An Experimental Study of Statistical Discrimination by Employers," Southern Economic Journal, Southern Economic Association, vol. 70(4), pages 837-849, April.
- Mats Hammarstedt & Ghazi Shukur, 2006. "Immigrants' Relative Earnings in Sweden - A Cohort Analysis," LABOUR, CEIS, vol. 20(2), pages 285-323, 06.
- Chiswick, Barry R & Miller, Paul W, 1995. "The Endogeneity between Language and Earnings: International Analyses," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 13(2), pages 246-88, April.
- Carlsson, Magnus & Rooth, Dan-Olof, 2007.
"Evidence of ethnic discrimination in the Swedish labor market using experimental data,"
Elsevier, vol. 14(4), pages 716-729, August.
- Carlsson, Magnus & Rooth, Dan-Olof, 2006. "Evidence of Ethnic Discrimination in the Swedish Labor Market Using Experimental Data," IZA Discussion Papers 2281, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Rashid, Saman, 2004. "Immigrant Earnings, Assimilation and Heterogeneity," Umeå Economic Studies 622, Umeå University, Department of Economics.
- Castillo, Marco & Petrie, Ragan, 2010. "Discrimination in the lab: Does information trump appearance?," Games and Economic Behavior, Elsevier, vol. 68(1), pages 50-59, January.
- Bouckaert, Jan & Dhaene, Geert, 2004. "Inter-ethnic trust and reciprocity: results of an experiment with small businessmen," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 20(4), pages 869-886, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hhs:sunrpe:2011_0012. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sten Nyberg)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.