Foregin Acquisition and Employment Effects in Swedish Manufacturing
This paper investigates the employment effects of foreign acquisitions in acquired firms in Swedish manufacturing during the 1990s, a period characterized by a dramatic increase in foreign ownership. To handle likely endogeneity problems, we evaluate the effects of foreign acquisitions on the targeted firms’ employment by combining propensity score matching with difference-in-difference estimation. We find some evidence of positive employment effects in firms taken over by foreigners and it seems that the employment of skilled labor increases more than the employment of less-skilled labor. Moreover, we examine whether the employment impact of foreign ownership differs between takeovers of Swedish MNEs and non-MNEs. Our results indicate that the positive employment effects only appear in acquired non-MNEs. Furthermore, we observe shifts in skill intensities toward higher shares of skilled labor in non-MNEs taken over by foreign MNEs but not in acquired Swedish MNEs
|Date of creation:||15 Nov 2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Örebro University School of Business, SE - 701 82 ÖREBRO, Sweden|
Phone: 019-30 30 00
Fax: 019-33 25 46
Web page: http://www.oru.se/Institutioner/Handelshogskolan-vid-Orebro-universitet/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rajeev H. Dehejia & Sadek Wahba, 2002.
"Propensity Score-Matching Methods For Nonexperimental Causal Studies,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 84(1), pages 151-161, February.
- Rajeev H. Dehejia & Sadek Wahba, 1998. "Propensity Score Matching Methods for Non-experimental Causal Studies," NBER Working Papers 6829, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Robert H McGuckin & Sang V Nguyen, 2000.
"The Impact of Ownership Changes: A View from Labor Markets,"
00-02, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- McGuckin, Robert H. & Nguyen, Sang V., 2001. "The impact of ownership changes: a view from labor markets," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 19(5), pages 739-762, April.
- Kristiina Huttunen, 2007. "The Effect of Foreign Acquisition on Employment and Wages: Evidence from Finnish Establishments," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 89(3), pages 497-509, August.
- Patrik Karpaty, 2007. "Productivity Effects of Foreign Acquisitions in Swedish Manufacturing: The FDI Productivity Issue Revisited," International Journal of the Economics of Business, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(2), pages 241-260.
- Bandick, Roger, 2007.
"Multinationals and Plant Survivals in Swedish Manufacturing,"
2007:7, Örebro University, School of Business.
- Roger Bandick, . "Multinationals and plant survival in Swedish manufacturing," Discussion Papers 07/31, University of Nottingham, GEP.
- Norback, Pehr-Johan & Persson, Lars, 2007.
"Investment liberalization -- Why a restrictive cross-border merger policy can be counterproductive,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 72(2), pages 366-380, July.
- Norbäck, Pehr-Johan & Persson, Lars, 2005. "Investment Liberalization - Why a Restrictive Cross-Border Merger Policy can be Counterproductive," Working Paper Series 644, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Norbäck, Pehr-Johan & Persson, Lars, 2006. "Investment Lilberalization - Why a Restrictive Cross-Border Merger Policy can be Counterproductive," Working Paper Series 666, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Roger, Bandick & Hansson, Pär, 2005.
"Inward FDI and Demand for Skills in Sweden,"
Working Paper Series
208, Trade Union Institute for Economic Research.
- Conyon, Martin J. & Girma, Sourafel & Thompson, Steve & Wright, Peter W., 2001. "Do hostile mergers destroy jobs?," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 45(4), pages 427-440, August.
- Brännlund, Runar & Nordström, Jonas & Svedin, Dick, 2004. "Foreign ownership and effects on employment and wages: The case of Sweden," Umeå Economic Studies 638, Umeå University, Department of Economics, revised 01 Nov 2004.
- Norbäck, Pehr-Johan & Persson, Lars, 2007. "Globalization and Profitability of Cross-border Mergers & Acquisitions," CEPR Discussion Papers 6102, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Lichtenberg, Frank R & Siegel, Donald, 1990. "The Effect of Ownership Changes on the Employment and Wages of Central Office and Other Personnel," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 33(2), pages 383-408, October.
- Girma, Sourafel & Görg, Holger, 2001.
"Blessing or Curse? Domestic Plants' Survival and Employment Prospects After Foreign Acquisition,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2994, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Girma, Sourafel & Görg, Holger, 2003. "Blessing or Curse? Domestic Plants' Survival and Employment Prospects after Foreign Acquisitions," IZA Discussion Papers 706, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Pehr-Johan Norbäck & Lars Persson, 2008. "Globalization and profitability of cross-border mergers and acquisitions," Economic Theory, Springer;Society for the Advancement of Economic Theory (SAET), vol. 35(2), pages 241-266, May.
- Sourafel Girma, 2005. "Safeguarding Jobs? Acquisition FDI and Employment Dynamics in U.K. Manufacturing," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer;Institut für Weltwirtschaft (Kiel Institute for the World Economy), vol. 141(1), pages 165-178, April.
- Richard Blundell & Monica Costa Dias, 2000. "Evaluation methods for non-experimental data," Fiscal Studies, Institute for Fiscal Studies, vol. 21(4), pages 427-468, January.
- James J. Heckman & Hidehiko Ichimura & Petra E. Todd, 1997. "Matching As An Econometric Evaluation Estimator: Evidence from Evaluating a Job Training Programme," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 64(4), pages 605-654.
- Conyon, Martin J. & Girma, Sourafel & Thompson, Steve & Wright, Peter W., 2002. "The impact of mergers and acquisitions on company employment in the United Kingdom," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 46(1), pages 31-49, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hhs:oruesi:2007_010. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.