Foreign Ownership and Labour Markets in Sub-Saharan African Firms
Abstract In this paper we examine whether foreign-owned firms pay higher wages and have higher levels of employment than domestically-owned firms in a cross-section of sub-Saharan African (SSA) firms using data from 19 SSA countries. We also test for the presence of wage spillovers, examining whether the wages offered by foreign-owned firms in an industry impact upon the wages paid by domestically-owned firms. Our results indicate that foreign-owned firms tend to pay higher average wages, employ more workers and generate positive human capital effects. This tends to be true for total employment and average wages for all workers as well as for blue- and white-collar workers separately. The effects of foreign ownership tend to be stronger for white-collar workers when considering wages and for blue-collar workers when considering employment. Our results also suggest that the presence of foreign-owned firms does not significantly impact upon the wages paid by domestically-owned firms however.
|Length:||34 pages including 11 Tables and 3 Figures|
|Date of creation:||Mar 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published as wiiw Working Paper|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Rahlgasse 3, A-1060 Vienna|
Phone: (+43-1) 533 66 10
Fax: (+43-1) 533 66 10-50
Web page: http://www.wiiw.ac.at
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://wiiw.ac.at|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Blomström, Magnus & Kokko, Ari, 1996.
"Multinational Corporations and Spillovers,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1365, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Blomström, Magnus & Kokko, Ari, 1996. "Multinational Corporations and Spillovers," SSE/EFI Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 99, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Roger Bandick & Patrik Karpaty, .
"Foreign Acquisition and Employment Effects in Swedish Manufacturing,"
07/35, University of Nottingham, GEP.
- Bandick, Roger & Karpaty, Patrick, 2007. "Foregin Acquisition and Employment Effects in Swedish Manufacturing," Working Papers 2007:10, Örebro University, School of Business.
- Aitken, B. & Harrison, A. & Lipsey, R.E., 1995.
"Wages and Foreign Ownership: A Comparative Study of Mexico, Venezuela, and the United States,"
95-21, Columbia - Graduate School of Business.
- Aitken, Brian & Harrison, Ann & Lipsey, Robert E., 1996. "Wages and foreign ownership A comparative study of Mexico, Venezuela, and the United States," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(3-4), pages 345-371, May.
- Brian Aitken & Ann Harrison & Robert E. Lipsey, 1995. "Wages and Foreign Ownership: A Comparative Study of Mexico, Venezuela and the United States," NBER Working Papers 5102, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Zadia Feliciano & Robert E. Lipsey, 1999. "Foreign Ownership and Wages in the United States, 1987 - 1992," NBER Working Papers 6923, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:wii:wpaper:99. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Customer service)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.