Why Entrepreneurs Choose Risky R&D Projects - But Still Not Risky Enough
Entrepreneurs face higher commercialization costs than incumbents. We show that this implies that entrepreneurs will choose more risky projects than incumbents, aiming to reduce their high expected marginal commercialization cost. However, entrepreneurs may select too safe projects from a social point of view, since they do not internalize the business stealing effect. We also show that commercialization support induces entrepreneurship but may lead to mediocre entrepreneurship by inducing entrepreneurs to choose less risky projects, whereas R&D support encourages entrepreneurship without affecting the type of entrepreneurship. Using Swedish patent citation data, we find empirical support for predictions of the model.
|Date of creation:||18 Sep 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Research Institute of Industrial Economics, Box 55665, SE-102 15 Stockholm, Sweden|
Phone: +46 8 665 4500
Fax: +46 8 665 4599
Web page: http://www.ifn.se/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Svensson, Roger, 2007.
"Commercialization of patents and external financing during the R&D phase,"
Elsevier, vol. 36(7), pages 1052-1069, September.
- Svensson, Roger, 2004. "Commercialization of Patents and External Financing during the R&D-Phase," Working Paper Series 624, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Jean O. Lanjouw & Mark Schankerman, 1999. "The Quality of Ideas: Measuring Innovation with Multiple Indicators," NBER Working Papers 7345, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Maksimovic, Vojislav & Zechner, Josef, 1991. " Debt, Agency Costs, and Industry Equilibrium," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 46(5), pages 1619-43, December.
- Crampes, C. & Langinier, C., 2000. "Ligation and Settlement in Patent Infringement Case," Papers 00-537, Toulouse - GREMAQ.
- Claude Crampes & Corinne Langinier, 2002.
"Litigation and Settlement in Patent Infringement Cases,"
RAND Journal of Economics,
The RAND Corporation, vol. 33(2), pages 258-274, Summer.
- Crampes, Claude & Langinier, Corinne, 2002. "Litigation and Settlement in Patent Infringement Cases," Staff General Research Papers 5231, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hhs:iuiwop:0926. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Elisabeth Gustafsson)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.