The Real Effects of Private Equity Buyouts
Private equity buyouts have become a common element in the industrial development process. I survey the literature on the real economic effect of buyouts: employment, wages, productivity, and long-run investments. Employment tend to marginally fall after a buyout in most countries studied, with the exception being France. There are clear evidence of productivity gains following a buyout, with part of these being shared with worker through higher wages. The evidence is mixed regarding effects on long-run investments.
|Date of creation:||09 Sep 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in The Oxford Handbook of Private Equity, Cumming, Douglas (eds.), 2012, chapter 10, Oxford University Press.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Research Institute of Industrial Economics, Box 55665, SE-102 15 Stockholm, Sweden|
Phone: +46 8 665 4500
Fax: +46 8 665 4599
Web page: http://www.ifn.se/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Steven J. Davis & John C. Haltiwanger & Kyle Handley & Ron S. Jarmin & Josh Lerner & Javier Miranda, 2013.
"Private Equity, Jobs, and Productivity,"
NBER Working Papers
19458, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Richard Harris & Donald S. Siegel & Mike Wright, 2003.
"Assessing the Impact of Management Buyouts on Economic Efficiency: Plant-Level Evidence from the United Kingdom,"
Rensselaer Working Papers in Economics
0304, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Department of Economics.
- Richard Harris & Donald S. Siegel & Mike Wright, 2005. "Assessing the Impact of Management Buyouts on Economic Efficiency: Plant-Level Evidence from the United Kingdom," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 87(1), pages 148-153, February.
- Kevin Amess, 2003. "The Effect of Management Buyouts on Firm-level Technical Inefficiency: Evidence from a Panel of UK Machinery and Equipment Manufacturers," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 51(1), pages 35-44, 03.
- Frank R Lichtenberg & Donald Siegel, 1989.
"The Effects Of Leveraged Buyouts On Productivity And Related Aspects Of Firm Behavior,"
89-5, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Lichtenberg, Frank R. & Siegel, Donald, 1990. "The effects of leveraged buyouts on productivity and related aspects of firm behavior," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(1), pages 165-194, September.
- Frank R. Lichtenberg & Donald Siegel, 1989. "The Effects of Leveraged Buyouts on Productivity and Related Aspects of Firm Behavior," NBER Working Papers 3022, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kevin Amess & Sarah Brown & Steve Thompson, 2007. "Management Buyouts, Supervision And Employee Discretion," Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Scottish Economic Society, vol. 54(4), pages 447-474, 09.
- Nicholas Bloom & Raffaella Sadun & John Van Reenen, 2015.
"Do Private Equity Owned Firms Have Better Management Practices?,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 105(5), pages 442-46, May.
- Nick Bloom & Raffaella Sadun & John Van Reenen, 2009. "Do Private Equity Owned Firms Have Better Management Practices?," CEP Occasional Papers 24, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Nick Bloom & Raffaella Sadun & John Van Reenen, 2009. "Do private equity owned firms have better management practices?," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 25482, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Kevin Amess & Mike Wright, 2012. "Leveraged buyouts, private equity and jobs," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 38(4), pages 419-430, May.
- Amess, Kevin, 2002. "Management Buyouts and Firm-Level Productivity: Evidence from a Panel of UK Manufacturing Firms," Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Scottish Economic Society, vol. 49(3), pages 304-17, August.
- Steven J. Davis & John C. Haltiwanger & Ron S. Jarmin & Josh Lerner & Javier Miranda, 2011.
"Private Equity and Employment,"
NBER Working Papers
17399, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gromb, Denis & Scharfstein, David, 2002.
"Entrepreneurship in Equilibrium,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3652, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Shai Bernstein & Josh Lerner & Morten Sørensen & Per Strömberg, 2010.
"Private Equity and Industry Performance,"
Harvard Business School Working Papers
10-045, Harvard Business School.
- Mike Wright & John Gilligan & Kevin Amess, 2008. "The economic impact of private equity: what we know and what we would like to know," Venture Capital, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 11(1), pages 1-21, March.
- Hellmann, Thomas F., 2002.
"When Do Employees Become Entrepreneurs?,"
1770, Stanford University, Graduate School of Business.
- Norbäck, Pehr-Johan & Persson, Lars & Tåg, Joacim, 2010.
"Buying to Sell: A Theory of Buyouts,"
Working Paper Series
817, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Norbäck, Pehr-Johan & Persson, Lars & Tåg, Joacim Ingemar, 2012. "Buying to Sell: Private Equity Buyouts and Industrial Restructuring," CEPR Discussion Papers 8992, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Cumming, Douglas & Siegel, Donald S. & Wright, Mike, 2007. "Private equity, leveraged buyouts and governance," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 439-460, September.
- Kevin Amess & Mike Wright, 2007. "The Wage and Employment Effects of Leveraged Buyouts in the UK," International Journal of the Economics of Business, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(2), pages 179-195.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hhs:iuiwop:0851. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Elisabeth Gustafsson)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.