The Real Effects of Private Equity Buyouts
Private equity buyouts have become a common element in the industrial development process. I survey the literature on the real economic effect of buyouts: employment, wages, productivity, and long-run investments. Employment tend to marginally fall after a buyout in most countries studied, with the exception being France. There are clear evidence of productivity gains following a buyout, with part of these being shared with worker through higher wages. The evidence is mixed regarding effects on long-run investments.
|Date of creation:||09 Sep 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published in The Oxford Handbook of Private Equity, Cumming, Douglas (eds.), 2012, chapter 10, Oxford University Press.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: +46 8 665 4500
Fax: +46 8 665 4599
Web page: http://www.ifn.se/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Steven J. Davis & John Haltiwanger & Kyle Handley & Ron Jarmin & Josh Lerner & Javier Miranda, 2014.
"Private Equity, Jobs, and Productivity,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 104(12), pages 3956-90, December.
- Kevin Amess & Mike Wright, 2007. "The Wage and Employment Effects of Leveraged Buyouts in the UK," International Journal of the Economics of Business, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(2), pages 179-195.
- Norbäck, Pehr-Johan & Persson, Lars & Tåg, Joacim Ingemar, 2012.
"Buying to Sell: Private Equity Buyouts and Industrial Restructuring,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
8992, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Pehr-Johan Norbäck & Lars Persson & Joacim Tag, 2013. "Buying to Sell: Private Equity Buyouts and Industrial Restructuring," CESifo Working Paper Series 4338, CESifo Group Munich.
- Norbäck, Pehr-Johan & Persson, Lars & Tåg, Joacim, 2010. "Buying to Sell: A Theory of Buyouts," Working Paper Series 817, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Kevin Amess & Sarah Brown & Steve Thompson, 2007. "Management Buyouts, Supervision And Employee Discretion," Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Scottish Economic Society, vol. 54(4), pages 447-474, 09.
- Mike Wright & John Gilligan & Kevin Amess, 2008. "The economic impact of private equity: what we know and what we would like to know," Venture Capital, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 11(1), pages 1-21, March.
- Steven Davis & John Haltiwanger & Ron Jarmin & Josh Lerner & Javier Miranda, 2008.
"Private Equity and Employment,"
08-07r, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau, revised Oct 2011.
- Lichtenberg, Frank R. & Siegel, Donald, 1990.
"The effects of leveraged buyouts on productivity and related aspects of firm behavior,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 27(1), pages 165-194, September.
- Frank R. Lichtenberg & Donald Siegel, 1991. "The Effects of Leveraged Buyouts on Productivity and Related Aspects of Firm Behavior," NBER Working Papers 3022, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Frank R Lichtenberg & Donald Siegel, 1989. "The Effects Of Leveraged Buyouts On Productivity And Related Aspects Of Firm Behavior," Working Papers 89-5, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Kevin Amess & Mike Wright, 2012. "Leveraged buyouts, private equity and jobs," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 38(4), pages 419-430, May.
- Amess, Kevin, 2002. "Management Buyouts and Firm-Level Productivity: Evidence from a Panel of UK Manufacturing Firms," Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Scottish Economic Society, vol. 49(3), pages 304-17, August.
- Richard Harris & Donald S. Siegel & Mike Wright, 2005.
"Assessing the Impact of Management Buyouts on Economic Efficiency: Plant-Level Evidence from the United Kingdom,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 87(1), pages 148-153, February.
- Richard Harris & Donald S. Siegel & Mike Wright, 2003. "Assessing the Impact of Management Buyouts on Economic Efficiency: Plant-Level Evidence from the United Kingdom," Rensselaer Working Papers in Economics 0304, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Department of Economics.
- Nick Bloom & Raffaella Sadun & John Van Reenen, 2009.
"Do private equity owned firms have better management practices?,"
LSE Research Online Documents on Economics
25482, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Nick Bloom & Raffaella Sadun & John Van Reenen, 2009. "Do Private Equity Owned Firms Have Better Management Practices?," CEP Occasional Papers 24, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Cumming, Douglas & Siegel, Donald S. & Wright, Mike, 2007. "Private equity, leveraged buyouts and governance," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 439-460, September.
- Denis Gromb & David Scharfstein, 2002.
"Entrepreneurship in Equilibrium,"
NBER Working Papers
9001, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Shai Bernstein & Josh Lerner & Morten Sørensen & Per Strömberg, 2010.
"Private Equity and Industry Performance,"
Harvard Business School Working Papers
10-045, Harvard Business School.
- Hellmann, Thomas F., 2002.
"When Do Employees Become Entrepreneurs?,"
1770, Stanford University, Graduate School of Business.
- Kevin Amess, 2003. "The Effect of Management Buyouts on Firm-level Technical Inefficiency: Evidence from a Panel of UK Machinery and Equipment Manufacturers," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 51(1), pages 35-44, 03.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hhs:iuiwop:0851. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Elisabeth Gustafsson)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.