Private Equity Portfolio Company Performance During The Global Recession
We assess the recent economic and financial performance of U.K. private equity (PE) backed buyouts. Our empirical evidence, which is based on thousands of transactions, reveals that PE-backed buyouts achieved superior economic and financial performance in the period before and during the recent global recession, relative to comparable firms that did not experience such transactions. Our regression results imply positive differentials of 5-15% in productivity and approximately 3-5% in profitability for buyout firms, relative to non-buyout firms. Another key finding is that revenue and employment growth for PE- backed firms were positive during the sample period.
|Date of creation:||Jun 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Hoveniersberg 4, B-9000 Gent|
Phone: ++ 32 (0) 9 264 34 61
Fax: ++ 32 (0) 9 264 35 92
Web page: http://www.ugent.be/eb
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Steven N. Kaplan & Per Stromberg, 2009.
"Leveraged Buyouts and Private Equity,"
Journal of Economic Perspectives,
American Economic Association, vol. 23(1), pages 121-46, Winter.
- Kevin Amess & Mike Wright, 2007. "The Wage and Employment Effects of Leveraged Buyouts in the UK," International Journal of the Economics of Business, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(2), pages 179-195.
- Shourun Guo & Edith S. Hotchkiss & Weihong Song, 2011. "Do Buyouts (Still) Create Value?," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 66(2), pages 479-517, 04.
- Ughetto, Elisa, 2010. "Assessing the contribution to innovation of private equity investors: A study on European buyouts," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(1), pages 126-140, February.
- Lerner, Josh & Strömberg, Per & Sörensen, Morten, 2009.
"Private Equity and Long-Run Investment: The Case of Innovation,"
SIFR Research Report Series
66, Institute for Financial Research.
- Josh Lerner & Morten Sorensen & Per Strömberg, 2011. "Private Equity and Long‐Run Investment: The Case of Innovation," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 66(2), pages 445-477, 04.
- Josh Lerner & Morten Sørensen & Per Strömberg, 2008. "Private Equity and Long-Run Investment: The Case of Innovation," NBER Working Papers 14623, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Frank R Lichtenberg & Donald Siegel, 1989.
"The Effects Of Leveraged Buyouts On Productivity And Related Aspects Of Firm Behavior,"
89-5, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Lichtenberg, Frank R. & Siegel, Donald, 1990. "The effects of leveraged buyouts on productivity and related aspects of firm behavior," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 27(1), pages 165-194, September.
- Frank R. Lichtenberg & Donald Siegel, 1989. "The Effects of Leveraged Buyouts on Productivity and Related Aspects of Firm Behavior," NBER Working Papers 3022, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Billett, Matthew T. & Jiang, Zhan & Lie, Erik, 2010. "The effect of change-in-control covenants on takeovers: Evidence from leveraged buyouts," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 1-15, February.
- Brown, David T. & Fee, C. Edward & Thomas, Shawn E., 2009. "Financial leverage and bargaining power with suppliers: Evidence from leveraged buyouts," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 15(2), pages 196-211, April.
- David Citron & Mike Wright & Rod Ball & Fred Rippington, 2003. "Secured Creditor Recovery Rates from Management Buy-outs in Distress," European Financial Management, European Financial Management Association, vol. 9(2), pages 141-161.
- Pawlina, Grzegorz, 2010. "Underinvestment, capital structure and strategic debt restructuring," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 16(5), pages 679-702, December.
- Wright, Mike & Thompson, Steve & Robbie, Ken, 1992. "Venture capital and management-led, leveraged buy-outs: A European perspective," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 7(1), pages 47-71, January.
- Cumming, Douglas & Siegel, Donald S. & Wright, Mike, 2007. "Private equity, leveraged buyouts and governance," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 439-460, September.
- Viral V. Acharya & Conor Kehoe & Michael Reyner, 2009. "Private Equity vs. PLC Boards in the U.K.: A Comparison of Practices and Effectiveness," Journal of Applied Corporate Finance, Morgan Stanley, vol. 21(1), pages 45-56.
- Groh, Alexander Peter & von Liechtenstein, Heinrich & Lieser, Karsten, 2010. "The European Venture Capital and Private Equity country attractiveness indices," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 205-224, April.
- Cressy, Robert & Munari, Federico & Malipiero, Alessandro, 2007. "Playing to their strengths? Evidence that specialization in the private equity industry confers competitive advantage," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 647-669, September.
- Acharya, Viral V & Hahn, Moritz & Kehoe, Conor, 2009. "Corporate Governance and Value Creation: Evidence from Private Equity," CEPR Discussion Papers 7242, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Nikoskelainen, Erkki & Wright, Mike, 2007. "The impact of corporate governance mechanisms on value increase in leveraged buyouts," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 511-537, September.
- Steven J. Davis & John C. Haltiwanger & Kyle Handley & Ron S. Jarmin & Josh Lerner & Javier Miranda, 2013.
"Private Equity, Jobs, and Productivity,"
NBER Working Papers
19458, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Richard Harris & Donald S. Siegel & Mike Wright, 2005.
"Assessing the Impact of Management Buyouts on Economic Efficiency: Plant-Level Evidence from the United Kingdom,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 87(1), pages 148-153, February.
- Richard Harris & Donald S. Siegel & Mike Wright, 2003. "Assessing the Impact of Management Buyouts on Economic Efficiency: Plant-Level Evidence from the United Kingdom," Rensselaer Working Papers in Economics 0304, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Department of Economics.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:rug:rugwps:12/795. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Nathalie Verhaeghe)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.