Private Equity and Industry Performance
The growth of the private equity industry has spurred concerns about its potential impact on the economy more generally. This analysis looks across nations and industries to assess the impact of private equity on industry performance. Industries where PE funds have invested in the past five years have grown more quickly in terms of productivity and employment. There are few significant differences between industries with limited and high private equity activity. It is hard to find support for claims that economic activity in industries with private equity backing is more exposed to aggregate shocks. The results using lagged private equity investments suggest that the results are not driven by reverse causality. These patterns are not driven solely by common law nations such as the United Kingdom and United States, but also hold in Continental Europe.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gregor Andrade & Steven N. Kaplan, 1997.
"How Costly is Financial (not Economic) Distress? Evidence from Highly Leveraged Transactions that Became Distressed,"
NBER Working Papers
6145, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gregor Andrade & Steven N. Kaplan, 1998. "How Costly is Financial (Not Economic) Distress? Evidence from Highly Leveraged Transactions that Became Distressed," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 53(5), pages 1443-1493, October.
- Ulf Axelson & Tim Jenkinson, 2008.
"Leverage and Pricing in Buyouts: An Empirical Analysis,"
Economics Series Working Papers
2008fe20, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Ulf Axelson & Tim Jenkinson & Per StrÃ¶mberg & Michael S. Weisbach, 2008. "Leverage and Pricing in Buyouts: An Empirical Analysis," OFRC Working Papers Series 2008fe20, Oxford Financial Research Centre.
- Weisbach, Michael & Axelson, Ulf & Jenkinson, Tim & Stromberg, Per, 2008. "Leverage and Pricing in Buyouts: An Empirical Analysis," Working Papers 08-1, University of Pennsylvania, Wharton School, Weiss Center.
- Chevalier, Judith A, 1995. "Capital Structure and Product-Market Competition: Empirical Evidence from the Supermarket Industry," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 85(3), pages 415-35, June.
- John, Kose & Lang, Larry H P & Netter, Jeffry, 1992. " The Voluntary Restructuring of Large Firms in Response to Performance Decline," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 47(3), pages 891-917, July.
- Nick Bloom & Raffaella Sadun & John Van Reenen, 2009.
"Do Private Equity Owned Firms Have Better Management Practices?,"
CEP Occasional Papers
24, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Nicholas Bloom & Raffaella Sadun & John Van Reenen, 2015. "Do Private Equity Owned Firms Have Better Management Practices?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 105(5), pages 442-46, May.
- Nick Bloom & Raffaella Sadun & John Van Reenen, 2009. "Do private equity owned firms have better management practices?," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 25482, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Jerry Cao & Josh Lerner, 2006.
"The Performance of Reverse Leveraged Buyouts,"
NBER Working Papers
12626, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Steven J. Davis & John C. Haltiwanger & Kyle Handley & Ron S. Jarmin & Josh Lerner & Javier Miranda, 2013.
"Private Equity, Jobs, and Productivity,"
NBER Working Papers
19458, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Samuel Kortum & Josh Lerner, 2000. "Assessing the Contribution of Venture Capital to Innovation," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 31(4), pages 674-692, Winter.
- Steven Kaplan & Antoinette Schoar, 2003. "Private Equity Performance: Returns, Persistence and Capital," NBER Working Papers 9807, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Muscarella, Chris J & Vetsuypens, Michael R, 1990. " Efficiency and Organizational Structure: A Study of Reverse LBOs," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 45(5), pages 1389-1413, December.
- Kaplan, Steven, 1989. "The effects of management buyouts on operating performance and value," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 24(2), pages 217-254.
- Jensen, Michael C, 1986. "Agency Costs of Free Cash Flow, Corporate Finance, and Takeovers," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 76(2), pages 323-29, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nbr:nberwo:15632. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.