Private Equity and Industry Performance
The growth of the private equity industry has spurred concerns about its potential impact on the economy more generally. This analysis looks across nations and industries to assess the impact of private equity on industry performance. Industries where PE funds have invested in the past five years have grown more quickly in terms of productivity and employment. There are few significant differences between industries with limited and high private equity activity. It is hard to find support for claims that economic activity in industries with private equity backing is more exposed to aggregate shocks. The results using lagged private equity investments suggest that the results are not driven by reverse causality. These patterns are not driven solely by common law nations such as the United Kingdom and United States, but also hold in Continental Europe.
|Date of creation:||Jan 2010|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.|
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Muscarella, Chris J & Vetsuypens, Michael R, 1990. " Efficiency and Organizational Structure: A Study of Reverse LBOs," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 45(5), pages 1389-1413, December.
- Weisbach, Michael & Axelson, Ulf & Jenkinson, Tim & Stromberg, Per, 2008.
"Leverage and Pricing in Buyouts: An Empirical Analysis,"
08-1, University of Pennsylvania, Wharton School, Weiss Center.
- Ulf Axelson & Tim Jenkinson, 2008. "Leverage and Pricing in Buyouts: An Empirical Analysis," Economics Series Working Papers 2008fe20, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Ulf Axelson & Tim Jenkinson & Per StrÃ¶mberg & Michael S. Weisbach, 2008. "Leverage and Pricing in Buyouts: An Empirical Analysis," OFRC Working Papers Series 2008fe20, Oxford Financial Research Centre.
- Jensen, Michael C, 1986. "Agency Costs of Free Cash Flow, Corporate Finance, and Takeovers," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 76(2), pages 323-29, May.
- Gregor Andrade & Steven N. Kaplan, 1998.
"How Costly is Financial (Not Economic) Distress? Evidence from Highly Leveraged Transactions that Became Distressed,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 53(5), pages 1443-1493, October.
- Gregor Andrade & Steven N. Kaplan, 1997. "How Costly is Financial (not Economic) Distress? Evidence from Highly Leveraged Transactions that Became Distressed," NBER Working Papers 6145, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Steven J. Davis & John C. Haltiwanger & Kyle Handley & Ron S. Jarmin & Josh Lerner & Javier Miranda, 2013.
"Private Equity, Jobs, and Productivity,"
NBER Working Papers
19458, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Nick Bloom & Raffaella Sadun & John Van Reenen, 2009.
"Do Private Equity Owned Firms Have Better Management Practices?,"
CEP Occasional Papers
24, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Nicholas Bloom & Raffaella Sadun & John Van Reenen, 2015. "Do Private Equity Owned Firms Have Better Management Practices?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 105(5), pages 442-46, May.
- Nick Bloom & Raffaella Sadun & John Van Reenen, 2009. "Do private equity owned firms have better management practices?," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 25482, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Kaplan, Steven, 1989. "The effects of management buyouts on operating performance and value," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 24(2), pages 217-254.
- Steven Kaplan & Antoinette Schoar, 2003. "Private Equity Performance: Returns, Persistence and Capital," NBER Working Papers 9807, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Samuel Kortum & Josh Lerner, 2000. "Assessing the Contribution of Venture Capital to Innovation," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 31(4), pages 674-692, Winter.
- Jerry Cao & Josh Lerner, 2006.
"The Performance of Reverse Leveraged Buyouts,"
NBER Working Papers
12626, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Chevalier, Judith A, 1995. "Capital Structure and Product-Market Competition: Empirical Evidence from the Supermarket Industry," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 85(3), pages 415-35, June.
- John, Kose & Lang, Larry H P & Netter, Jeffry, 1992. " The Voluntary Restructuring of Large Firms in Response to Performance Decline," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 47(3), pages 891-917, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nbr:nberwo:15632. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.