Private Equity Performance: What Do We Know?
We present evidence on the performance of nearly 1400 U.S. private equity (buyout and venture capital) funds using a new research-quality dataset from Burgiss, sourced from over 200 institutional investors. Using detailed cash-flow data, we compare buyout and venture capital returns to the returns produced by public markets. We also compare the evidence from Burgiss to that derived from other commercial datasets - Venture Economics, Preqin and Cambridge Associates - as well as recent research. We find better buyout fund performance than has previously been documented. This in part reflects recently discovered problems with data provided by Venture Economics, upon which several previous studies had relied. Average U.S. buyout fund performance has exceeded that of public markets for most vintages for a long period of time. The outperformance versus the S&P 500 averages 20% to 27% over the life of the fund and more than 3% per year. Average U.S. venture capital funds, on the other hand, outperformed public equities in the 1990s, but have underperformed public equities in the 2000s. Using individual fund data, we explore the relationship between absolute measures of performance - internal rates of return (IRRs) and multiples of invested capital - and performance relative to public markets. Within a given vintage year, performance relative to public markets can be predicted well by a fund's multiple of invested capital and IRR, so we are able to estimate the performance relative to public markets that would have been derived from the other commercial datasets, had the required cash-flow data been available. Private equity performance in the other commercial sources - other than Venture Economics - is qualitatively similar to that we find using the Burgiss data.
|Date of creation:||Feb 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||published as “Private Equity Performance: What Do We Know?” with Robert Harris and Tim Jenkinson, Journal of Finance, forthcoming.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ayako Yasuda & Andrew Metrick, 2007.
"The economics of private equity funds,"
Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, issue Oct.
- Josh Lerner & Antoinette Schoar & Wan Wong, 2005.
"Smart Institutions, Foolish Choices? The Limited Partner Performance Puzzle,"
NBER Working Papers
11136, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Josh Lerner & Antoinette Schoar & Wan Wongsunwai, 2007. "Smart Institutions, Foolish Choices: The Limited Partner Performance Puzzle," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 62(2), pages 731-764, 04.
- Roman Kräussl & Narasimhan Jegadeesh & Joshua M. Pollet, 2014.
"Risk and Expected Returns of Private Equity Investments: Evidence Based on Market Prices,"
LSF Research Working Paper Series
14-04, Luxembourg School of Finance, University of Luxembourg.
- Jegadeesh, Narasimhan & Kräussl, Roman & Pollet, Joshua, 2010. "Risk and expected returns of private equity investments: Evidence based on market prices," CFS Working Paper Series 2010/04, Center for Financial Studies (CFS).
- Narasimhan Jegadeesh & Roman Kräussl & Joshua Pollet, 2009. "Risk and Expected Returns of Private Equity Investments: Evidence Based on Market Prices," NBER Working Papers 15335, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Michael Ewens & Charles Jones & Matthew Rhodes-Kropf, .
"The Price of Diversifiable Risk in Venture Capital and Private Equity,"
GSIA Working Papers
2012-E55, Carnegie Mellon University, Tepper School of Business.
- Michael Ewens & Charles M. Jones & Matthew Rhodes-Kropf, 2013. "The Price of Diversifiable Risk in Venture Capital and Private Equity," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 26(8), pages 1854-1889.
- Alexander Ljungqvist & Matthew Richardson, 2003. "The cash flow, return and risk characteristics of private equity," NBER Working Papers 9454, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kaplan, Steven N. & Strömberg, Per, 2009.
"Leveraged Buyouts and Private Equity,"
SIFR Research Report Series
65, Institute for Financial Research.
- Oliver, Gottschalg & Ludovic, Phalippou, 2006.
"The performance of private equity funds,"
Les Cahiers de Recherche
852, HEC Paris.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:nbr:nberwo:17874. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.