Are homosexuals discriminated against in the hiring process?
This paper presents the first field experiment on sexual orientation discrimination in the hiring process in the Swedish labor market. Job applications were sent to about 4,000 employers in 10 different occupations in Sweden. Gender and sexual orientation were randomly assigned to applications. The results show that sexual orientation discrimi-nation exists in the Swedish labor market. The discrimination against gays and lesbian varies across different occupations and appears only in the private sector. The results also seem to suggest a new dimension of traditional gender roles; the gay applicant was discriminated against in typical male-dominated occupations whereas the lesbian applicant was discriminated against in typical female-dominated occupations. Thus, the results suggest that gays to some extent face the same obstacles on the labor market as heterosexual women.
|Date of creation:||28 Nov 2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published as Ahmed, Ali, Lina Andersson and Mats Hammarstedt, 'Are Gay Men and Lesbians Discriminated against in the Hiring Process?' in Southern Economic Journal, 2013, pages 565-585.|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: IFAU, P O Box 513, SE-751 20 Uppsala, Sweden|
Phone: (+46) 18 - 471 70 70
Fax: (+46) 18 - 471 70 71
Web page: http://www.ifau.se/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ali M Ahmed & Lina Andersson & Mats Hammarstedt, 2011. "Sexual orientation and occupational rank," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 31(3), pages 2422-2433.
- Ali M. Ahmed & Mats Hammarstedt, 2009.
"Detecting Discrimination against Homosexuals: Evidence from a Field Experiment on the Internet,"
London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 76(303), pages 588-597, 07.
- Ahmed, Ali M. & Hammarstedt, Mats, 2007. "Detecting discrimination against homosexuals: Evidence from a field experiment on the Internet," CAFO Working Papers 2007:2, Centre for Labour Market Policy Research (CAFO), School of Business and Economics, Linnaeus University.
- Marianne Bertrand & Sendhil Mullainathan, 2003.
"Are emily and greg more employable than lakisha and jamal? A field experiment on labor market discrimination,"
Natural Field Experiments
00216, The Field Experiments Website.
- Marianne Bertrand & Sendhil Mullainathan, 2004. "Are Emily and Greg More Employable Than Lakisha and Jamal? A Field Experiment on Labor Market Discrimination," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 94(4), pages 991-1013, September.
- Marianne Bertrand & Sendhil Mullainathan, 2003. "Are Emily and Greg More Employable than Lakisha and Jamal? A Field Experiment on Labor Market Discrimination," NBER Working Papers 9873, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gary S. Becker, 1981. "A Treatise on the Family," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number beck81-1.
- Dan A. Black & Seth G. Sanders & Lowell J. Taylor, 2007. "The Economics of Lesbian and Gay Families," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 21(2), pages 53-70, Spring.
- P. A. Riach & J. Rich, 2002.
"Field Experiments of Discrimination in the Market Place,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 112(483), pages 480-518, November.
- Judith Rich & Peter Riach, 2002. "Field experiments of discrimination in the market place," Natural Field Experiments 00328, The Field Experiments Website.
- M.V. Lee Badgett, 2006. "Discrimination Based on Sexual Orientation: A Review of the Literature in Economics and Beyond," Chapters, in: Handbook on the Economics of Discrimination, chapter 6 Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Carlsson, Magnus & Rooth, Dan-Olof, 2006.
"Evidence of Ethnic Discrimination in the Swedish Labor Market Using Experimental Data,"
IZA Discussion Papers
2281, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Carlsson, Magnus & Rooth, Dan-Olof, 2007. "Evidence of ethnic discrimination in the Swedish labor market using experimental data," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(4), pages 716-729, August.
- Ali Ahmed & Mats Hammarstedt, 2010. "Sexual orientation and earnings: a register data-based approach to identify homosexuals," Journal of Population Economics, Springer;European Society for Population Economics, vol. 23(3), pages 835-849, June.
- Nick Drydakis, 2007.
"Sexual Orientation Discrimination in the Labour Market,"
0832, University of Crete, Department of Economics, revised 00 2008.
- Drydakis, Nick, 2009. "Sexual orientation discrimination in the labour market," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(4), pages 364-372, August.
- Nick Drydakis, 2008. "Sexual orientation discrimination in the labour market," Natural Field Experiments 00231, The Field Experiments Website.
- Nick Drydakis, . "WomenÃ¢??s Sexual Orientation and Labor Market Outcomes," Working Papers 0907, University of Crete, Department of Economics.
- Doris Weichselbaumer, 2000.
"Sexual orientation discrimination in hiring,"
Economics working papers
2000-21, Department of Economics, Johannes Kepler University Linz, Austria.
- repec:feb:natura:0002 is not listed on IDEAS
- Nick Drydakis, 2011. "Women's Sexual Orientation and Labor Market Outcomes in Greece," Feminist Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 17(1), pages 89-117, January.
- Bruce Elmslie & Edinaldo Tebaldi, 2007. "Sexual Orientation and Labor Market Discrimination," Journal of Labor Research, Springer, vol. 28(3), pages 436-453, July.
- Ali M. Ahmed & Lina Andersson & Mats Hammarstedt, 2011. "Inter‐ and Intra‐Household Earnings Differentials among Homosexual and Heterosexual Couples," British Journal of Industrial Relations, London School of Economics, vol. 49(Supplemen), pages s258-s278, 07.
- Suzanne Heller Clain & Karen Leppel, 2001. "An investigation into sexual orientation discrimination as an explanation for wage differences," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 33(1), pages 37-47.
- Ahmed, Ali M. & Andersson, Lina & Hammarstedt, Mats, 2008. "Are lesbians discriminated against in the rental housing market? Evidence from a correspondence testing experiment," Journal of Housing Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 234-238, September.
- Ali M. Ahmed & Lina Andersson & Mats Hammarstedt, 2012. "Does age matter for employability? A field experiment on ageism in the Swedish labour market," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 19(4), pages 403-406, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hhs:ifauwp:2011_021. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Monica Fällgren)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.