Earnings Expectations and Higher Education Enrolment Decisions in Hungary
This paper is based on a survey carried out among Hungarian secondary school students to examine (i) what students know about wages and relative wages when they are in their senior year of secondary school and are about to make decisions on their further studies (ii) how they form expectations regarding their future earnings and employment probabilities at different levels of schooling and (iii) whether their expectations of the labour market outcome of higher education have an impact on the probability of applying for higher educational studies. The results show that students on the average, have quite an accurate knowledge of current wages by educational levels and occupations. Their expected earnings are higher than their estimations of current earnings and their labour market return expectations have an impact on the probability of applying for further studies.
|Date of creation:||Dec 2001|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 1112 Budapest, Budaorsi ut 45.|
Phone: (+36-1) 309-2652
Fax: (36-1) 319-3136
Web page: http://econ.core.hu
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Richard B. Freeman, 1976. "A Cobweb Model of the Supply and Starting Salary of New Engineers," ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 29(2), pages 236-248, January.
- Francine D. Blau & Marianne A. Ferber, 1991.
"Career Plans and Expectations of Young Women and Men: The Earnings Gap and Labor Force Participation,"
Journal of Human Resources,
University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 26(4), pages 581-607.
- Francine D. Blau, 1990. "Career Plans and Expectations of Young Women and Men: The Earnings Gap and Labor Force Participation," NBER Working Papers 3445, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Giorgio Brunello & Claudio Lucifora & Rudolf Winter-Ebmer, 2001.
"The wage expectations of European college students,"
Economics working papers
2001-08, Department of Economics, Johannes Kepler University Linz, Austria.
- Brunello, Giorgio & Lucifora, Claudio & Winter-Ebmer, Rudolf, 2001. "The Wage Expectations of European College Students," CEPR Discussion Papers 2817, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Brunello, Giorgio & Lucifora, Claudio & Winter-Ebmer, Rudolf, 2001. "The Wage Expectations of European College Students," IZA Discussion Papers 299, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Borghans, Lex & De Grip, Andries & Heijke, Hans, 1996. "Labor market information and the choice of vocational specialization," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 15(1), pages 59-74, February.
- Gabor Kertesi & Janos Kollo, 2001. "Economic transformation and the revaluation of human capital - Hungary, 1986-1999," Budapest Working Papers on the Labour Market 0104, Institute of Economics, Centre for Economic and Regional Studies, Hungarian Academy of Sciences.
- Julian R. Betts, 1996. "What Do Students Know about Wages? Evidence from a Survey of Undergraduates," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 31(1), pages 27-56.
- Siow, Aloysius, 1984. "Occupational Choice under Uncertainty," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 52(3), pages 631-45, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:has:bworkp:0110. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Adrienn Foldi)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.