The value of the greenbelt in Vienna: a spatial hedonic analysis
This paper employs the hedonic price method (HPM) to examine whether the implicit value of the greenbelt is capitalized into apartment prices in the city of Vienna, Austria. We improve the traditional model using spatial econometric techniques and compare estimates from different spatial models, namely the spatial lag model (SAR), the spatial error model (SEM) and the spatial Durbin model (SDM). While our use of spatial models addresses the common problem of omitted variable bias, the SDM specifically allows for controlling possible nearby proximity effects (i.e., small-scale neighbourhood) that are rarely included in this type of analyses. Findings indicate that distance from the greenbelt is important in explaining apartment prices in Vienna: while the CBD exerts a centripetal force, the greenbelt, on the contrary, exerts a centrifugal force. The SDM is found to be the best performing model indicating existence of small-scale neighbourhood effects and presenting a solid case for consideration of this model in valuation of green amenities.
|Date of creation:||05 Jun 2015|
|Note:||View the original document on HAL open archive server: https://halshs.archives-ouvertes.fr/halshs-00939270v2|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- M Tiefelsdorf & D A Griffith & B Boots, 1999. "A variance-stabilizing coding scheme for spatial link matrices," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 31(1), pages 165-180, January.
- Raymond J.G.M. Florax & Hendrik Folmer & Sergio J. Rey, 2002.
"Specification Searches in Spatial Econometrics: The Relevance of Hendry's Methodology,"
- Florax, Raymond J. G. M. & Folmer, Hendrik & Rey, Sergio J., 2003. "Specification searches in spatial econometrics: the relevance of Hendry's methodology," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(5), pages 557-579, September.
- Luisa Corrado & Bernard Fingleton, 2012.
"Where Is The Economics In Spatial Econometrics?,"
Journal of Regional Science,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 52(2), pages 210-239, 05.
- Luisa Corrado & Bernard Fingleton, 2011. "Where is the Economics in Spatial Econometrics?," SERC Discussion Papers 0071, Spatial Economics Research Centre, LSE.
- Corrado, L. & Fingleton, B., 2011. "Where is the economics in spatial econometrics?," SIRE Discussion Papers 2011-02, Scottish Institute for Research in Economics (SIRE).
- Luisa Corrado & Bernard Fingleton, 2011. "Where is the economics in spatial econometrics?," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 33581, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Luisa Corrado & Bernard Fingleton, 2011. "Where is the Economics in Spatial Econometrics?," Working Papers 1101, University of Strathclyde Business School, Department of Economics.
- Anselin, Luc, 2002. "Under the hood : Issues in the specification and interpretation of spatial regression models," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 27(3), pages 247-267, November.
- Catherine Baumont, 2009.
"Spatial effects of urban public policies on housing values,"
Papers in Regional Science,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 88(2), pages 301-326, 06.
- Catherine Baumont, 2009. "Spatial effects of urban public policies on housing values," Post-Print halshs-00579676, HAL.
- Rosen, Sherwin, 1974. "Hedonic Prices and Implicit Markets: Product Differentiation in Pure Competition," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 82(1), pages 34-55, Jan.-Feb..
- J. Elhorst, 2010. "Applied Spatial Econometrics: Raising the Bar," Spatial Economic Analysis, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 5(1), pages 9-28.
- Anselin, Luc, 2002. "Under the hood Issues in the specification and interpretation of spatial regression models," Agricultural Economics of Agricultural Economists, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 27(3), November.
- Luc Anselin & Nancy Lozano-Gracia, 2008. "Errors in variables and spatial effects in hedonic house price models of ambient air quality," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 34(1), pages 5-34, February.
- M Batty & P A Longley, 1987. "Fractal-based description of urban form," Environment and Planning B: Planning and Design, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 14(2), pages 123-134, March.
- Benson, Earl D & Hansen, Julia L. & Schwartz Jr., Arthur & Smersh, Greg T., 1998. "Pricing Residential Amenities: The Value of a View," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 16(1), pages 55-73, January.
- Mark R. Correll & Jane H. Lillydahl & Larry D. Singell, 1978. "The Effects of Greenbelts on Residential Property Values: Some Findings on the Political Economy of Open Space," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 54(2), pages 207-217.
- Zhang, Lingxian & Liu, Qing & Hall, Nigel W. & Fu, Zetian, 2007. "An environmental accounting framework applied to green space ecosystem planning for small towns in China as a case study," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 60(3), pages 533-542, January.
- Beron, Kurt & Murdoch, James & Thayer, Mark, 2001. "The Benefits of Visibility Improvement: New Evidence from the Los Angeles Metropolitan Area," The Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, Springer, vol. 22(2-3), pages 319-337, March-May.
- Nicolas Gravel & Alessandra Michelangeli & Alain Trannoy, 2006. "Measuring the social value of local public goods: an empirical analysis within Paris metropolitan area," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 38(16), pages 1945-1961.
- Robert W. Paterson & Kevin J. Boyle, 2002. "Out of Sight, Out of Mind? Using GIS to Incorporate Visibility in Hedonic Property Value Models," Land Economics, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 78(3), pages 417-425.
- Nick Hanley & Jacqui Knight, 1992. "Valuing the Environment: Recent UK Experience and an Application to Green Belt Land," Working Papers Series 92/11, University of Stirling, Division of Economics.
- Philippe Le Goffe, 2000. "Hedonic Pricing of Agriculture and Forestry Externalities," Environmental & Resource Economics, Springer;European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 15(4), pages 397-401, April.
- Fabian Waltert & Felix Schlaepfer, 2007. "The role of landscape amenities in regional development: a survey of migration, regional economic and hedonic pricing studies," SOI - Working Papers 0710, Socioeconomic Institute - University of Zurich.
- Tyrvainen, Liisa & Miettinen, Antti, 2000. "Property Prices and Urban Forest Amenities," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 39(2), pages 205-223, March.
- Cropper, Maureen L & Deck, Leland B & McConnell, Kenneth E, 1988. "On the Choice of Functional Form for Hedonic Price Functions," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 70(4), pages 668-675, November.
- David Brasington & D. Hite, "undated".
"Demand for Environmental Quality: A Spatial Hedonic Analysis,"
Departmental Working Papers
2003-02, Department of Economics, Louisiana State University.
- Brasington, David M. & Hite, Diane, 2005. "Demand for environmental quality: a spatial hedonic analysis," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 57-82, January.
- Sjerp de Vries & Robert A Verheij & Peter P Groenewegen & Peter Spreeuwenberg, 2003. "Natural environments -- healthy environments? An exploratory analysis of the relationship between greenspace and health," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 35(10), pages 1717-1731, October.
- Bolund, Per & Hunhammar, Sven, 1999. "Ecosystem services in urban areas," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 293-301, May.
- Chang-Moo Lee & Peter Linneman, 1998. "Dynamics of the Greenbelt Amenity Effect on the Land Market-The Case of Seoul's Greenbelt," Real Estate Economics, American Real Estate and Urban Economics Association, vol. 26(1), pages 107-129.
- Deaton, Angus, 1988.
"Quality, Quantity, and Spatial Variation of Price,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 78(3), pages 418-430, June.
- Bolduc, Denis & Laferriere, Richard & Santarossa, Gino, 1992. "Spatial autoregressive error components in travel flow models," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 22(3), pages 371-385, September.
- Julie Le Gallo, 2002.
"Économétrie spatiale : l'autocorrélation spatiale dans les modèles de régression linéaire,"
Économie et Prévision,
Programme National Persée, vol. 155(4), pages 139-157.
- Julie Le Gallo, 2002. "Économétrie spatiale : l'autocorrélation spatiale dans les modèles de régression linéaire," Economie & Prévision, La Documentation Française, vol. 155(4), pages 139-157.
- Colin Jones & Chris Leishman & Craig Watkins, 2003. "Structural change in a local urban housing market," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 35(7), pages 1315-1326, July.
- Cheshire, Paul & Sheppard, Stephen, 1995. "On the Price of Land and the Value of Amenities," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 62(246), pages 247-267, May.
- Linda Gerkman, 2012. "Empirical spatial econometric modelling of small scale neighbourhood," Journal of Geographical Systems, Springer, vol. 14(3), pages 283-298, July.
- Bastian, Chris T. & McLeod, Donald M. & Germino, Matthew J. & Reiners, William A. & Blasko, Benedict J., 2002. "Environmental amenities and agricultural land values: a hedonic model using geographic information systems data," Ecological Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(3), pages 337-349, March.
- Catherine Baumont & Diego Legros, 2009. "Neighborhood Effects In Spatial Housing Value Models. The Case Of The Metropolitan Area Of Paris (1999)," Working Papers halshs-00579747, HAL.
- Craig Bullock, 2008. "Valuing Urban Green Space: Hypothetical Alternatives and the Status Quo," Journal of Environmental Planning and Management, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 51(1), pages 15-35.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hal:wpaper:halshs-00939270. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.