A Test for Endogeneity in Conditional Quantiles
In this paper, we develop a test to detect the presence of endogeneity in conditional quantiles. Our test is a Hausman-type test based on the distance between two estimators, of which one is consistent only under no endogeneity while the other is consistent regardless of the presence of endogeneity in conditional quantile models. We derive the asymptotic distribution of the test statistic under the null hypothesis of no endogeneity. The finite sample properties of the test are investigated through Monte Carlo simulations, and it is found that the test shows good size and power properties in finite samples. As opposed to the test based on the IVQR estimator of Chernozhukov and Hansen (2006) in the case of more than a couple of variables, our approach does not imply an infeasible computation time. Finally, we apply our approach to test for endogeneity in conditional quantile models for estimating Engel curves using UK consumption and expenditure data. The pattern of endogeneity in the Engel curve is found to vary substantially across quantiles
|Date of creation:||Aug 2013|
|Note:||View the original document on HAL open archive server: https://halshs.archives-ouvertes.fr/halshs-00854527|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sokbae Lee, 2004.
"Endogeneity in quantile regression models: a control function approach,"
CeMMAP working papers
CWP08/04, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Lee, Sokbae, 2007. "Endogeneity in quantile regression models: A control function approach," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 141(2), pages 1131-1158, December.
- Sokbae Lee, 2004. "Endogeneity in Quantile Regression Models: A Control Function Approach," Econometric Society 2004 North American Summer Meetings 521, Econometric Society.
- Tae-Hwan Kim & Christophe Muller, 2004.
"Two-stage quantile regression when the first stage is based on quantile regression,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 7(1), pages 218-231, 06.
- Christophe Muller & Tae-Hwan Kim, 2004. "Two-Stage Quantile Regression When The First Stage Is Based On Quantile Regression," Working Papers. Serie AD 2004-03, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Wolters, Maik Hendrik, 2010.
"Estimating Monetary Policy Reaction Functions Using Quantile Regressions,"
23857, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Wolters, Maik H., 2012. "Estimating monetary policy reaction functions using quantile regressions," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 34(2), pages 342-361.
- Thanaset Chevapatrakul & Tae-Hwan Kim & Paul Mizen, 2009. "The Taylor Principle and Monetary Policy Approaching a Zero Bound on Nominal Rates: Quantile Regression Results for the United States and Japan," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 41(8), pages 1705-1723, December.
- Joel Horowitz & Sokbae Lee, 2006.
"Nonparametric instrumental variables estimation of a quantile regression model,"
CeMMAP working papers
CWP09/06, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Joel L. Horowitz & Sokbae Lee, 2007. "Nonparametric Instrumental Variables Estimation of a Quantile Regression Model," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 75(4), pages 1191-1208, 07.
- Lee, Yoonseok & Okui, Ryo, 2012. "Hahn–Hausman test as a specification test," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 167(1), pages 133-139.
- Powell, James L, 1983. "The Asymptotic Normality of Two-Stage Least Absolute Deviations Estimators," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 51(5), pages 1569-75, September.
- Sakata, Shinichi, 2007. "Instrumental variable estimation based on conditional median restriction," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 141(2), pages 350-382, December.
- Elie Tamer, 2000.
"Inference in Censored Models with Endogenous Regressors,"
Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers
1815, Econometric Society.
- Han Hong & Elie Tamer, 2003. "Inference in Censored Models with Endogenous Regressors," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 71(3), pages 905-932, 05.
- Amemiya, Takeshi, 1982. "Two Stage Least Absolute Deviations Estimators," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(3), pages 689-711, May.
- Omar Arias & Kevin F. Hallock & Walter Sosa Escudero, 1999.
"Individual Heterogeneity in the Returns to Schooling: Instrumental Variables Quantile Regression using Twins Data,"
Department of Economics, Working Papers
016, Departamento de Economía, Facultad de Ciencias Económicas, Universidad Nacional de La Plata.
- Omar Arias & Walter Sosa-Escudero & Kevin F. Hallock, 2001. "Individual heterogeneity in the returns to schooling: instrumental variables quantile regression using twins data," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 26(1), pages 7-40.
- Richard Blundell & Xiaohong Chen & Dennis Kristensen, 2007. "Semi-Nonparametric IV Estimation of Shape-Invariant Engel Curves," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 75(6), pages 1613-1669, November.
- Alberto Abadie & Joshua Angrist & Guido Imbens, 2002.
"Instrumental Variables Estimates of the Effect of Subsidized Training on the Quantiles of Trainee Earnings,"
Econometric Society, vol. 70(1), pages 91-117, January.
- Alberto Abadie & Joshua Angrist & Guido Imbens, 1999. "Instrumental Variables Estimates of the Effect of Subsidized Training on the Quantiles of Trainee Earnings," Working papers 99-16, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Angel López-Nicolás & Jaume García & Pedro J. Hernández, 2001.
"How wide is the gap? An investigation of gender wage differences using quantile regression,"
Springer, vol. 26(1), pages 149-167.
- Jaume Garcia & Pedro J. Hernández & Ángel López Nicolás, 1998. "How wide is the gap? An investigation of gender wage differences using quantile regression," Economics Working Papers 287, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Chernozhukov, Victor & Hansen, Christian, 2008. "Instrumental variable quantile regression: A robust inference approach," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 142(1), pages 379-398, January.
- Tae-Hwan Kim, & Christophe Muller, 2012.
"Bias Transmission and Variance Reduction in Two-Stage Quantile Regression,"
AMSE Working Papers
1221, Aix-Marseille School of Economics, Marseille, France.
- Tae-Hwan Kim & Christophe Muller, 2/06. "Bias Transmission and Variance Reduction in Two-Stage Quantile Regression," Working Papers halshs-00793372, HAL.
- Andrew Chesher, 2003. "Identification in Nonseparable Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 71(5), pages 1405-1441, 09.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hal:wpaper:halshs-00854527. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.