A Test for Endogeneity in Conditional Quantiles
In this paper, we develop a test to detect the presence of endogeneity in conditional quantiles. Our test is a Hausman-type test based on the distance between two estimators, of which one is consistent only under no endogeneity while the other is consistent regardless of the presence of endogeneity in conditional quantile models. We derive the asymptotic distribution of the test statistic under the null hypothesis of no endogeneity. The finite sample properties of the test are investigated through Monte Carlo simulations, and it is found that the test shows good size and power properties in finite samples. As opposed to the test based on the IVQR estimator of Chernozhukov and Hansen (2006) in the case of more than a couple of variables, our approach does not imply an infeasible computation time. Finally, we apply our approach to test for endogeneity in conditional quantile models for estimating Engel curves using UK consumption and expenditure data. The pattern of endogeneity in the Engel curve is found to vary substantially across quantiles.
|Date of creation:||Aug 2013|
|Date of revision:||Aug 2013|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.amse-aixmarseille.fr/en|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lee, Yoonseok & Okui, Ryo, 2012. "Hahn–Hausman test as a specification test," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 167(1), pages 133-139.
- Andrew Chesher, 2003. "Identification in Nonseparable Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 71(5), pages 1405-1441, September.
- Lee, Sokbae, 2007.
"Endogeneity in quantile regression models: A control function approach,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 141(2), pages 1131-1158, December.
- Sokbae Lee, 2004. "Endogeneity in Quantile Regression Models: A Control Function Approach," Econometric Society 2004 North American Summer Meetings 521, Econometric Society.
- Sokbae Lee, 2004. "Endogeneity in quantile regression models: a control function approach," CeMMAP working papers CWP08/04, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Tae-Hwan Kim & Christophe Muller, 2012.
"Bias Transmission and Variance Reduction in Two-Stage Quantile Regression,"
- Tae-Hwan Kim, & Christophe Muller, 2012. "Bias Transmission and Variance Reduction in Two-Stage Quantile Regression," AMSE Working Papers 1221, Aix-Marseille School of Economics, Marseille, France.
- Amemiya, Takeshi, 1982. "Two Stage Least Absolute Deviations Estimators," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(3), pages 689-711, May.
- Tae-Hwan Kim & Christophe Muller, 2004.
"Two-stage quantile regression when the first stage is based on quantile regression,"
Royal Economic Society, vol. 7(1), pages 218-231, June.
- Christophe Muller & Tae-Hwan Kim, 2004. "Two-Stage Quantile Regression When The First Stage Is Based On Quantile Regression," Working Papers. Serie AD 2004-03, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Angel López-Nicolás & Jaume García & Pedro J. Hernández, 2001. "How wide is the gap? An investigation of gender wage differences using quantile regression," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 26(1), pages 149-167.
- Jaume Garcia & Pedro J. Hernández & Ángel López Nicolás, 1998. "How wide is the gap? An investigation of gender wage differences using quantile regression," Economics Working Papers 287, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Alberto Abadie & Joshua Angrist & Guido Imbens, 2002. "Instrumental Variables Estimates of the Effect of Subsidized Training on the Quantiles of Trainee Earnings," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 70(1), pages 91-117, January.
- Alberto Abadie & Joshua Angrist & Guido Imbens, 1999. "Instrumental Variables Estimates of the Effect of Subsidized Training on the Quantiles of Trainee Earnings," Working papers 99-16, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Thanaset Chevapatrakul & Tae-Hwan Kim & Paul Mizen, 2009. "The Taylor Principle and Monetary Policy Approaching a Zero Bound on Nominal Rates: Quantile Regression Results for the United States and Japan," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 41(8), pages 1705-1723, December.
- Sakata, Shinichi, 2007. "Instrumental variable estimation based on conditional median restriction," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 141(2), pages 350-382, December.
- Han Hong & Elie Tamer, 2003. "Inference in Censored Models with Endogenous Regressors," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 71(3), pages 905-932, May.
- Elie Tamer, 2000. "Inference in Censored Models with Endogenous Regressors," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 1815, Econometric Society.
- Richard Blundell & Xiaohong Chen & Dennis Kristensen, 2007. "Semi-Nonparametric IV Estimation of Shape-Invariant Engel Curves," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 75(6), pages 1613-1669, November.
- Wolters, Maik H., 2012. "Estimating monetary policy reaction functions using quantile regressions," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 34(2), pages 342-361.
- Wolters, Maik Hendrik, 2010. "Estimating Monetary Policy Reaction Functions Using Quantile Regressions," MPRA Paper 23857, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Omar Arias & Walter Sosa-Escudero & Kevin F. Hallock, 2001. "Individual heterogeneity in the returns to schooling: instrumental variables quantile regression using twins data," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 26(1), pages 7-40.
- Omar Arias & Kevin F. Hallock & Walter Sosa Escudero, 1999. "Individual Heterogeneity in the Returns to Schooling: Instrumental Variables Quantile Regression using Twins Data," Department of Economics, Working Papers 016, Departamento de Economía, Facultad de Ciencias Económicas, Universidad Nacional de La Plata.
- Chernozhukov, Victor & Hansen, Christian, 2008. "Instrumental variable quantile regression: A robust inference approach," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 142(1), pages 379-398, January.
- Joel L. Horowitz & Sokbae Lee, 2007. "Nonparametric Instrumental Variables Estimation of a Quantile Regression Model," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 75(4), pages 1191-1208, July.
- Joel L. Horowitz & Sokbae Lee, 2006. "Nonparametric instrumental variables estimation of a quantile regression model," CeMMAP working papers CWP09/06, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Powell, James L, 1983. "The Asymptotic Normality of Two-Stage Least Absolute Deviations Estimators," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 51(5), pages 1569-1575, September. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:aim:wpaimx:1342. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Yves Doazan)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.