Multi-stage LTL transport systems in supply chain management
This paper aims to unify concepts and to describe the multi-stage transport systems and their integratyion to supply chain management. Multi-stage distribution systems are common logistics management, and often they are assimilated to multi-stage transport strategies. However, transport is often considered as an external operation or a specific stage, even when it is a multi-stage system. First, the paper presents the main concepts of multi-stage transport systems by defining the concept an making a typology of transport schemes. Then, an optimization analysis using the concept of accessibility is proposed to show the advantages and limits of such strategies. Then, an interview-based analysis includes a conceptual framework for the integration of multi-stage transport on supply chain management and a simulation shows the impacts of multi-stage transport on supply chain global costs and quality indicators.
|Date of creation:||15 Apr 2013|
|Publication status:||Published in Cheung, J.; Song, H. Logistics: Perspectives, Approaches and Challenges, Nova Science Publishing, pp.65-86, 2013|
|Note:||View the original document on HAL open archive server: https://halshs.archives-ouvertes.fr/halshs-00796714v2|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: https://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Klose, Andreas & Drexl, Andreas, 2005. "Facility location models for distribution system design," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 162(1), pages 4-29, April.
- Jean-Paul Rodrigue, 2006. "Transportation and the Geographical and Functional Integration of Global Production Networks," Growth and Change, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 37(4), pages 510-525.
- Beamon, Benita M., 1998. "Supply chain design and analysis:: Models and methods," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 55(3), pages 281-294, August.
- Angelelli, Enrico & Grazia Speranza, Maria, 2002. "The periodic vehicle routing problem with intermediate facilities," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 137(2), pages 233-247, March.
- Soltani, Roya & Sadjadi, Seyed Jafar, 2010. "Scheduling trucks in cross-docking systems: A robust meta-heuristics approach," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 46(5), pages 650-666, September.
- Ambrosino, Daniela & Grazia Scutella, Maria, 2005. "Distribution network design: New problems and related models," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 165(3), pages 610-624, September.
- Aikens, C. H., 1985. "Facility location models for distribution planning," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 22(3), pages 263-279, December.
- Crevier, Benoit & Cordeau, Jean-Francois & Laporte, Gilbert, 2007. "The multi-depot vehicle routing problem with inter-depot routes," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 176(2), pages 756-773, January.
- Gonzalez-Feliu, Jesus, 2012. "Freight Distribution Systems with Cross Docking: A Multidisciplinary Analysis," Journal of the Transportation Research Forum, Transportation Research Forum, vol. 51(1).
- Nagy, Gabor & Salhi, Said, 2007. "Location-routing: Issues, models and methods," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 177(2), pages 649-672, March.
- Tan, K.C. & Chew, Y.H. & Lee, L.H., 2006. "A hybrid multi-objective evolutionary algorithm for solving truck and trailer vehicle routing problems," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 172(3), pages 855-885, August.
- Nguyen, Viet-Phuong & Prins, Christian & Prodhon, Caroline, 2012. "Solving the two-echelon location routing problem by a GRASP reinforced by a learning process and path relinking," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 216(1), pages 113-126.
- Crainic, Teodor Gabriel & Laporte, Gilbert, 1997. "Planning models for freight transportation," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 97(3), pages 409-438, March.
- Gerdessen, Johanna C., 1996. "Vehicle routing problem with trailers," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 93(1), pages 135-147, August.
- Alain Bonnafous, 1989. "Le siècle des ténèbres de l'économie," Post-Print halshs-00291521, HAL.
- Jacobsen, S. K. & Madsen, O. B. G., 1980. "A comparative study of heuristics for a two-level routing-location problem," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 5(6), pages 378-387, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hal:journl:halshs-00796714. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.