Cost optimisation in freight distribution with cross-docking: N-echelon location routing problem
Freight transportation constitutes one of the main activities that influences economy and society, as it assures a vital link between suppliers and customers and it represents a major source of employment. Multi-echelon distribution is one of the most common strategies adopted by the transportation companies in an aim of cost reduction. Although vehicle routing problems are very common in operational research, they are essentially related to single-echelon cases. This paper presents the main concepts of multi-echelon distribution with cross-docks and a unified notation for the N-echelon location routing problem. A literature review is also presented, in order to list the main problems and methods that can be helpful for scientists and transportation practitioners.
|Date of creation:||14 Mar 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published, Promet - Traffic & Transportation, 2012, 24, 2, 143-149|
|Note:||View the original document on HAL open archive server: http://halshs.archives-ouvertes.fr/halshs-00565329|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gerardo Berbeglia & Jean-François Cordeau & Irina Gribkovskaia & Gilbert Laporte, 2007. "Rejoinder on: Static pickup and delivery problems: a classification scheme and survey," TOP: An Official Journal of the Spanish Society of Statistics and Operations Research, Springer, vol. 15(1), pages 45-47, July.
- Jesus Gonzalez-Feliu & Joelle Morana, 2010. "Are City Logistics Solutions Sustainable? The Cityporto case," Post-Print halshs-00530016, HAL.
- Tan, K.C. & Chew, Y.H. & Lee, L.H., 2006. "A hybrid multi-objective evolutionary algorithm for solving truck and trailer vehicle routing problems," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 172(3), pages 855-885, August.
- Gerardo Berbeglia & Jean-François Cordeau & Irina Gribkovskaia & Gilbert Laporte, 2007. "Static pickup and delivery problems: a classification scheme and survey," TOP: An Official Journal of the Spanish Society of Statistics and Operations Research, Springer, vol. 15(1), pages 1-31, July.
- Jacobsen, S. K. & Madsen, O. B. G., 1980. "A comparative study of heuristics for a two-level routing-location problem," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 5(6), pages 378-387, December.
- Nagy, Gabor & Salhi, Said, 2007. "Location-routing: Issues, models and methods," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 177(2), pages 649-672, March.
- E. Feldman & F. A. Lehrer & T. L. Ray, 1966. "Warehouse Location Under Continuous Economies of Scale," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 12(9), pages 670-684, May.
- Gerdessen, Johanna C., 1996. "Vehicle routing problem with trailers," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 93(1), pages 135-147, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hal:journl:halshs-00565329. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.