Threshold effects in Okun's law: a panel data analysis
Our approach involves the use of switching regime models, to take account of the structural asymmetry and time instability of Okun's coefficient. More precisely, we apply the non-dynamic panel transition regression model introduced by Hansen (1999) to a panel of 20 OECD countries over the last three decades. With all specifications applied, the tests lead to the rejection of the null hypothesis of a linear relationship between cyclical output and cyclical unemployment. The asymmetry implies the existence of four regimes. For lower or higher values of cyclical unemployment, it follows that there is a relatively strong negative correlation between unemployment rate and output. However, when unemployment stands at intermediate levels, this relationship tends to weaken.
|Date of creation:||01 Oct 2008|
|Date of revision:|
|Publication status:||Published, Economics Bulletin, 2008, vol. 5, n° 33, pp. 1-14|
|Note:||View the original document on HAL open archive server: http://hal-rbs.archives-ouvertes.fr/Hal-00565477|
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hurlin, Christophe, 2006. "Network effects of the productivity of infrastructure in developing countries," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3808, The World Bank.
- Lee, Jim, 2000. "The Robustness of Okun's Law: Evidence from OECD Countries," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 331-356, April.
- Weber, Christian E, 1995. "Cyclical Output, Cyclical Unemployment, and Okun's Coefficient: A New Approach," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 10(4), pages 433-45, Oct.-Dec..
- M. Hashem Pesaran, 2007.
"A simple panel unit root test in the presence of cross-section dependence,"
Journal of Applied Econometrics,
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 22(2), pages 265-312.
- Pesaran, M.H., 2003. "A Simple Panel Unit Root Test in the Presence of Cross Section Dependence," Cambridge Working Papers in Economics 0346, Faculty of Economics, University of Cambridge.
- Attfield, Clifford L. F. & Silverstone, Brian, 1998. "Okun's Law, Cointegration and Gap Variables," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 625-637, July.
- Brian Silverstone & Richard Harris, 2001. "Testing for asymmetry in Okun's law: A cross-country comparison," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 5(2), pages 1-13.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hal:journl:hal-00565477. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.