Estructura corporativa e interlocking directorates en las mayores empresas españolas, 1917-1970
This paper analyzes some of the characteristics of Spanish capitalism between 1917 and 1970. For that purpose, we resort to the technique known as interlocking directorates and applies the methodology of social network analysis (SNA) to the board of directors of the 210 largest Spanish companies, in a benchmark dates (1917, 1930, 1948 and 1970). The results allow us to answer the questions of what has been the evolution of the Spanish business structure over the twentieth century and which sectors have been central to each of the moments analyzed. At the same time, we identify the main groups of companies, and the links established among them, assessing the role of financial sector in the national economic structure. Based on the relationships between the members of the Board of Directors and social capital theory, the second objective identifies the circle of Spanish economic power, quantifies the degree of cohesion, and follow its evolution over time, confirming its continuity / disappearance.
|Date of creation:||05 May 2012|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (34)958 24 10 00 /20145
Fax: (34)958 24 99 95
Web page: http://fccee.ugr.es/?q=node/4
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Benjamin E. Hermalin & Michael S. Weisbach, 2003.
"Boards of directors as an endogenously determined institution: a survey of the economic literature,"
Economic Policy Review,
Federal Reserve Bank of New York, issue Apr, pages 7-26.
- Benjamin E. Hermalin & Michael S. Weisbach, 2001. "Boards of Directors as an Endogenously Determined Institution: A Survey of the Economic Literature," NBER Working Papers 8161, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Leo Mac Canna & Niamh Brennan & Eleanor O'Higgins, 1998. "National Networks of Corporate Power: An Irish Perspective," Journal of Management and Governance, Springer, vol. 2(4), pages 357-379, December.
- Felis-Rota, Marta, 2011. "Un paseo por la literatura sobre capital social desde una perspectiva económica," Revista de Historia Económica, Cambridge University Press, vol. 29(03), pages 461-475, December.
- Marc Badia Miro & Yolanda Blasco & Sergi Lozano & Raimon Soler, 2010. "Centrality and investment strategies at the beginning of industrialisation in mid-nineteenth-century Catalonia," Business History, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 52(3), pages 493-515.
- Höpner, Martin & Krempel, Lothar, 2003. "The politics of the German company network," MPIfG Working Paper 03/9, Max Planck Institute for the Study of Societies.
- Granovetter, Mark, 1995. "Coase Revisited: Business Groups in the Modern Economy," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 4(1), pages 93-130.
- repec:ucp:bkecon:9780226531083 is not listed on IDEAS
- Hee-Jung Yeo & Christine Pochet & Alain Alcouffe, 2003.
"CEO Reciprocal Interlocks in French Corporations,"
Journal of Management and Governance,
Springer, vol. 7(1), pages 87-108, March.
- Josean Garrués Irurzun & Juan Antonio Rubio Mondéjar, 2011. "Redes empresariales e integración económica regional en perspectiva histórica: el caso de Andalucía," FEG Working Paper Series 04/11, Faculty of Economics and Business (University of Granada).
- Luca Fiorito, 2011. "The influence of American economists on the Clayton and Federal Trade Commission Acts," Department of Economics University of Siena 623, Department of Economics, University of Siena.
- Francisco J. Pueyo, 2006. "Interlocking directorates in Spanish banking in the twentieth century," Economics Working Papers 931, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Rajan, Raghuram G. & Zingales, Luigi, 2003. "The great reversals: the politics of financial development in the twentieth century," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 69(1), pages 5-50, July.
- Santella, Paolo & Drago, Carlo & Polo, Andrea & Gagliardi, Enrico, 2009. "A Comparison among the director networks in the main listed companies in France, Germany, Italy, and the United Kingdom," MPRA Paper 16397, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Windolf, Paul, 2002. "Corporate Networks in Europe and the United States," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199256976.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:gra:fegper:01/12. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Juliette Milgram Baleix.)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.