Survival Characteristics and Adjustment of MNE Affiliates in the European Integrated Market
This is one of the first studies which systematically investigate whether specific characteristics of foreign affiliates that reflect their MNE investment motivations prolong or undermine affiliate survivorship when the host country becomes member of a regional economic union. Using a unique database of 162 foreign affiliates established in the era of protectionism (1960-1980) in Greece, we explore the survival evolution of these affiliates within the European integration period (1981-2011). The study poses two research objectives: the exploration of the key characteristics per type of affiliate and the analysis of the impact of the specific characteristics on affiliate survival. We hypothesize and find that when the protected Greek economy enters the European market, closure risk is relatively high for those affiliates which exploit traditional location advantages such as tariffs and unskilled-labor cost, whereas it is relatively low for those units that adjust to the new institutional framework by investing in advertising and human capital intensity. The results have important implications for policy makers and managers.
|Date of creation:||19 Feb 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Platz des Göttinger Sieben 3, 37073 Göttingen|
Phone: 0049-551-39 81 72
Fax: 0049-551-39 81 73
Web page: http://www.iai.wiwi.uni-goettingen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- José Mata & Pedro Portugal, 1999. "Closure and Divestiture By Foreign Entrants: The Impact of Entry and Post-Entry Strategies," Working Papers w199906, Banco de Portugal, Economics and Research Department.
- J. Myles Shaver, 1998. "Accounting for Endogeneity When Assessing Strategy Performance: Does Entry Mode Choice Affect FDI Survival?," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 44(4), pages 571-585, April.
- Grubert, Harry & Mutti, John, 1991. "Taxes, Tariffs and Transfer Pricing in Multinational Corporate Decision Making," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 73(2), pages 285-93, May.
- Perez-Batres, Luis A. & Eden, Lorraine, 2008. "Is there a liability of localness? How emerging market firms respond to regulatory punctuations," Journal of International Management, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 232-251, September.
- John Baldwin & Beiling Yan, 2011. "The death of Canadian manufacturing plants: heterogeneous responses to changes in tariffs and real exchange rates," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer;Institut für Weltwirtschaft (Kiel Institute for the World Economy), vol. 147(1), pages 131-167, April.
- Benito, Gabriel & Narula, Rajneesh, 2007. "States and Firms on the Periphery: The Challenges of a Globalising World," MERIT Working Papers 004, United Nations University - Maastricht Economic and Social Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (MERIT).
- Pennings, Enrico & Sleuwaegen, Leo, 2000. "International relocation: firm and industry determinants," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 67(2), pages 179-186, May.
- Andrew B Bernard & J. Bradford Jensen, 2007.
"Firm Structure, Multinationals, and Manufacturing Plant Deaths,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 89(2), pages 193-204, May.
- Andrew B. Bernard & J. Bradford Jensen, 2006. "Firm Structure, Multinationals, and Manufacturing Plant Deaths," Working Paper Series WP06-7, Peterson Institute for International Economics.
- J. Bradford Jensen & Andrew Bernard, 2005. "Firm Structure, Multinationals, and Manufacturing Plant Deaths," Working Papers 05-18, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Olivier N. Godart & Holger Görg & Aoife Hanley, 2011.
"Surviving the crisis: foreign multinationals vs domestic firms,"
Kiel Working Papers
1700, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Godart, Olivier & Görg, Holger & Hanley, Aoife, 2011. "Surviving the crisis: Foreign multinationals vs domestic firms," Kiel Working Papers 1700, Kiel Institute for the World Economy (IfW).
- Brainard, S Lael, 1997. "An Empirical Assessment of the Proximity-Concentration Trade-off between Multinational Sales and Trade," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 87(4), pages 520-44, September.
- James R. Markusen & Anthony J. Venables, 1995.
"Multinational Firms and The New Trade Theory,"
NBER Working Papers
5036, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Sylvie Montout & Habib Zitouna, 2005. "Does North-South Integration Affect Multinational Firms' Strategies?," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 13(3), pages 485-500, 08.
- René Belderbos, 2003. "Antidumping and foreign divestment: Japanese electronics multinationals in the EU," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer;Institut für Weltwirtschaft (Kiel Institute for the World Economy), vol. 139(1), pages 131-160, March.
- James R. Markusen, 2004.
"Multinational Firms and the Theory of International Trade,"
MIT Press Books,
The MIT Press,
edition 1, volume 1, number 0262633078, December.
- Markusen, James R., 2002. "Multinational Firms and the Theory of International Trade," MPRA Paper 8380, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Jiang, Fuming & Stening, Bruce W., 2013. "Do indigenous firms incur a liability of localness when operating in their home market? The case of China," Journal of World Business, Elsevier, vol. 48(4), pages 478-489.
- Italo Colantone & Leo Sleuwaegen, 2010. "International trade, exit and entry: A cross-country and industry analysis," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Academy of International Business, vol. 41(7), pages 1240-1257, September.
- Rajneesh Narula & John Dunning, 2000. "Industrial Development, Globalization and Multinational Enterprises: New Realities for Developing Countries," Oxford Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 28(2), pages 141-167.
- Ram Mudambi, 1998. "The Role of Duration in Multinational Investment Strategies," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Academy of International Business, vol. 29(2), pages 239-261, June.
- Dunning, John H., 2000. "The eclectic paradigm as an envelope for economic and business theories of MNE activity," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 9(2), pages 163-190, April.
- Klaus E. Meyer & Ram Mudambi & Rajneesh Narula, 2011. "Multinational Enterprises and Local Contexts: The Opportunities and Challenges of Multiple Embeddedness," Journal of Management Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 48(2), pages 235-252, 03.
- Robert Pearce & Marina Papanastassiou, 1997. "European Markets and the Strategic Roles of Multinational Enterprise Subsidiaries in the UK," Journal of Common Market Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 35(2), pages 243-266, 06.
- Jen Baggs, 2005. "Firm survival and exit in response to trade liberalization," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 38(4), pages 1364-1383, November.
- Hogenbirk, Annelies.E. & van Kranenburg, Hans.L., 2006. "Roles of foreign owned subsidiaries in a small economy," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 15(1), pages 53-67, February.
- Andrew Mold, 2003. "The Impact of the Single Market Programme on the Locational Determinants of US Manufacturing Affiliates: An Econometric Analysis," Journal of Common Market Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 41(1), pages 37-62, 03.
- Caves, Richard E, 1971. "International Corporations: The Industrial Economics of Foreign Investment," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 38(149), pages 1-27, February.
- G R G Benito & B Grøgaard & R Narula, 2003. "Environmental influences on MNE subsidiary roles: economic integration and the Nordic countries," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan;Academy of International Business, vol. 34(5), pages 443-456, September.
- Roger Bandick, 2010. "Multinationals and plant survival," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer;Institut für Weltwirtschaft (Kiel Institute for the World Economy), vol. 146(4), pages 609-634, December.
- repec:cii:cepiei:2012-q4-132-4 is not listed on IDEAS
- Sourafel Girma & Richard Kneller & Mauro Pisu, 2005. "Exports versus FDI: An Empirical Test," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer;Institut für Weltwirtschaft (Kiel Institute for the World Economy), vol. 141(2), pages 193-218, July.
- Erol Taymaz & Şule Özler, 2007. "Foreign Ownership, Competition, and Survival Dynamics," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 31(1), pages 23-42, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:got:iaidps:225. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sabine Jaep)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.