The Impact of HIV on Children´s Welfare
Children living in HIV/AIDS affected households bear the heaviest burden of the epidemic. Besides direct vertical transmission, HIV/ AIDS potentially worsens the children’s welfare indirectly through its socio-economic impact. This paper uses household survey data including information about individual HIV infection status to analyze the direct and indirect effects of HIV-infected household members on child mortality, undernutrition and educational attainment for Burkina Faso, Cameroon, Ghana and Kenya. The results indicate that the main channel through which HIV effects the child mortality risk is mother to child transmission. Whereas no effect of HIV is found on child mortality and undernutrition, a negative effect for school enrollment is found for Burkina Faso and Cameroon.
|Date of creation:||18 Jan 2007|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 0049-551-39 81 72
Fax: 0049-551-39 81 73
Web page: http://www.iai.wiwi.uni-goettingen.de
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- David E. Bloom & Ajay S. Mahal, 1995.
"Does the AIDS Epidemic Really Threaten Economic Growth?,"
NBER Working Papers
5148, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Harsha Thirumurthy & Joshua Graff Zivin & Markus Goldstein, 2007.
"AIDS Treatment and Intrahousehold Resource Allocations: Children's Nutrition and Schooling in Kenya,"
105, Center for Global Development.
- Zivin, Joshua Graff & Thirumurthy, Harsha & Goldstein, Markus, 2009. "AIDS treatment and intrahousehold resource allocation: Children's nutrition and schooling in Kenya," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 93(7-8), pages 1008-1015, August.
- Joshua S. Graff Zivin & Harsha Thirumurthy & Markus Goldstein, 2006. "AIDS Treatment and Intrahousehold Resource Allocations: Children's Nutrition and Schooling in Kenya," NBER Working Papers 12689, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521825511 is not listed on IDEAS
- C Arndt & J D Lewis, 2000. "The Macro Implications of HIV/AIDS in South Africa: A Preliminary Assessment," South African Journal of Economics, Economic Society of South Africa, vol. 68(5), pages 380-392, December.
- Michael Grimm & Kenneth Harttgen, 2006.
"Longer Life, Higher Welfare?,"
Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin
556, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Alain Marcoux, 2002. "Sex Differentials in Undernutrition: A Look at Survey Evidence," Population and Development Review, The Population Council, Inc., vol. 28(2), pages 275-284.
- Michael Grimm & Denis Cogneau, 2004. "Socio-economic status, sexual behavior, and differential AIDS mortality Evidence from Cˆote d’Ivoire," HEW 0405003, EconWPA.
- Kenneth Harttgen & Mark Misselhorn, 2006.
"A Multilevel Approach to Explain Child Mortality and Undernutrition in South Asia and Sub-Saharan Africa,"
Ibero America Institute for Econ. Research (IAI) Discussion Papers
152, Ibero-America Institute for Economic Research.
- Misselhorn, Mark & Harttgen, Kenneth, 2006. "A Multilevel Approach to Explain Child Mortality and Undernutrition in South Asia and Sub-Saharan Africa," Proceedings of the German Development Economics Conference, Berlin 2006 20, Verein für Socialpolitik, Research Committee Development Economics.
- Silvia Sgherri & Maitland MacFarlan, 2001. "The Macroeconomic Impact of HIV/AIDS in Botswana," IMF Working Papers 01/80, International Monetary Fund.
- Filmer, Deon & Pritchett, Lant, 1998. "Estimating wealth effects without expenditure data - or tears : with an application to educational enrollments in states of India," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1994, The World Bank.
- repec:wbk:wbpubs:12426 is not listed on IDEAS
- Bicego, George & Rutstein, Shea & Johnson, Kiersten, 2003. "Dimensions of the emerging orphan crisis in sub-Saharan Africa," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 56(6), pages 1235-1247, March.
- Ravi Kanbur & Diganta Mukherjee, 2007.
"Premature Mortality And Poverty Measurement,"
Bulletin of Economic Research,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 59(4), pages 339-359, October.
- Kanbur, Ravi & Mukherjee, Diganta, 2003. "Premature Mortality And Poverty Measurement," Working Papers 127197, Cornell University, Department of Applied Economics and Management.
- Ravi Kanbur & Diganta Mukherji, 2006. "Premature Mortality and Poverty Measurement," Working Papers id:707, eSocialSciences.
- Ravallion, Martin, 2005. "On the contribution of demographic change to aggregate poverty measures for the developing world," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3580, The World Bank.
- Van der Klaauw, Bas & Limin Wang, 2004.
"Child mortality in rural India,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
3281, The World Bank.
- Ridder, G. & Tunali, I., 1997.
"Stratified Partial Likelihood Estimation,"
1997/17, Koc University.
- Kremer, Michael, 1996. "Integrating Behavioral Choice into Epidemiological Models of AIDS," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 111(2), pages 549-73, May.
- Clive Bell & Shantayanan Devarajan & Hans Gersbach, 2003. "The long-run economic costs of AIDS : theory and an application to South Africa," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3152, The World Bank.
- David E. Sahn & David Stifel, 2003. "Exploring Alternative Measures of Welfare in the Absence of Expenditure Data," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 49(4), pages 463-489, December.
- World Bank, 2005. "World Development Indicators 2005," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 12425.
- Adebayo, Samson B. & Fahrmeir, Ludwig & Klasen, Stephan, 2004. "Analyzing infant mortality with geoadditive categorical regression models: a case study for Nigeria," Economics & Human Biology, Elsevier, vol. 2(2), pages 229-244, June.
- Haddad, Lawrence James & Gillespie, Stuart, 2001.
"Effective food and nutrition policy responses to HIV/AIDS,"
FCND discussion papers
112, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Haddad, Lawrence James & Gillespie, Stuart, 2001. "Effective food and nutrition policy responses to HIV/AIDS," FCND briefs 112, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Gary S. Becker & Tomas J. Philipson & Rodrigo R. Soares, 2005.
"The Quantity and Quality of Life and the Evolution of World Inequality,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 95(1), pages 277-291, March.
- Gary S. Becker & Tomas J. Philipson & Rodrigo R. Soares, 2003. "The Quantity and Quality of Life and the Evolution of World Inequality," NBER Working Papers 9765, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Anne Case & Christina Paxson & Joseph Ableidinger, 2002. "Orphans in Africa," NBER Working Papers 9213, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:got:iaidps:157. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sabine Jaep)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.