Output Smoothing in EMU and OECD: Can We Forego Government Contribution? A risk sharing approach
This paper analyses the smoothing of asymmetric shocks to output for a sample of OECD countries. The research finds no evidence of large differences in the patterns of risk sharing for the 19 OECD countries, the EU-15 or euro-area countries, for the period 1970-1999. However, there were shown to be considerable differences between the euro-area and the successful monetary union of the USA: the euro-area showed a much lower insurance of asymmetric shocks than the US states. In the US federation, 75% of the asymmetric shocks to output were smoothed in the period 1964-1990. However, in the euro-area only 44% of such shocks were not passed onto consumption in the period 1970-1999. Until increasing economic integration in Europe does not lead to a substantial decrease in the incidence of idiosyncratic shocks, such shocks may impose non-negligible welfare costs. Due to a large contribution from the public sector to risk sharing, especially to smooth out more persistent shocks, it does not seem likely that private capital markets can easily replace the government, in the near future, in providing a sufficient degree of risk sharing in the euro-area. Even if capital markets become as integrated in the euro-area as they were in the US federation in the period 1964-1990, the amount of shocks left unsmoothed will still be 1.8 times larger than in the US federation. As there are no substantial differences between the patterns of risk sharing for the different samples considered, an eventual enlargement of the euro-area to include the UK, Denmark and Sweden is not likely to pose additional risk sharing problems for the euro-zone.
|Date of creation:||2003|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: + 351 239 790 500
Fax: +351 239 403511
Web page: http://www.uc.pt/en/feuc/gemf/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Michael J. Artis & Marco Buti, 2000.
"Close to Balance or in Surplus. A Policy Maker’s Guide to the Implementation of the Stability and Growth Pact,"
EUI-RSCAS Working Papers
28, European University Institute (EUI), Robert Schuman Centre of Advanced Studies (RSCAS).
- Michael J. Artis & Marco Buti, 2000. "'Close-to-Balance or in Surplus': A Policy-Maker's Guide to the Implementation of the Stability and Growth Pact," Journal of Common Market Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 38(4), pages 563-591, November.
- Artis, Michael J & Buti, Marco, 2000. ""Close to Balance or in Surplus": A Policy Maker's Guide to the Implementation of the Stability and Growth Pact," CEPR Discussion Papers 2515, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Giovanni P. Olivei, 2000. "Consumption risk-sharing across G-7 countries," New England Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Boston, issue Mar, pages 3-14.
- Melitz, Jacques & Zumer, Frederic, 1999.
"Interregional and international risk-sharing and lessons for EMU,"
Carnegie-Rochester Conference Series on Public Policy,
Elsevier, vol. 51(1), pages 149-188, December.
- Melitz, Jacques & Zumer, Frédéric, 1999. "Interregional and International Risk Sharing and Lessons for EMU," CEPR Discussion Papers 2154, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Jacques Mélitz & Frédéric Zumer, 2000. "Interregional and International Risk Sharing and Lessons for EMU," EUI-RSCAS Working Papers 2, European University Institute (EUI), Robert Schuman Centre of Advanced Studies (RSCAS).
- Jacques Mélitz & Frédéric Zumer, 1999. "Interregional and International Risk Sharing and Lessons for EMU," Sciences Po publications n°2154, Sciences Po.
- Roberto Perotti, 1999. "Fiscal Policy In Good Times And Bad," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 114(4), pages 1399-1436, November.
- Sorensen, B-E & Yosha, O, 1996.
"International Risk Sharing and European Monetary Unification,"
40-96, Tel Aviv.
- Sorensen, Bent E. & Yosha, Oved, 1998. "International risk sharing and European monetary unification," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 45(2), pages 211-238, August.
- André Sapir & Marco Buti, 1998. "Economic policy in EMU," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/8078, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:gmf:wpaper:2003-02. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sara Santos)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.