A Tale of Tax Policies in Open Economies
Recent financial crises in Europe as well as the periodic battles in the U.S. over the debt ceiling point to the importance of fiscal discipline among developed countries. This paper develops an open economy model, calibrated to the U.S. and a subset of the EMU, to evaluate the impact of various permanent tax changes. The first set of experiments considers a targeted one percentage point reduction in the government deficit-to-GDP ratio through raising one of : the consumption tax, the labor income tax, or the capital income tax. In terms of welfare, the consumption tax is found to be the least costly of the tax increases. A second set of experiments looks at deficit-neutral tax changes : partially replacing the capital income tax with either a higher labor income tax or higher consumption tax ; and partially replacing the labor income tax with an increased consumption tax. Reducing reliance on capital income taxation is welfare-enhancing, although it leads to short term losses. Reducing labor income taxation improves international competitiveness and is welfare-improving.
|Date of creation:||2011|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 33(0)472 29 30 89
Fax: 33(0)47229 30 90
Web page: http://www.gate.cnrs.fr/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Auray, Stéphane & de Blas, Beatriz & Eyquem, Aurélien, 2011.
"Ramsey policies in a small open economy with sticky prices and capital,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 35(9), pages 1531-1546, September.
- Stéphane Auray & Beatriz De Blaz & Aurélien Eyquem, 2011. "Ramsey Policies in a Small Open Economy with Sticky Prices and Capital," Post-Print halshs-00581173, HAL.
- Stéphane Auray & Beatriz de Blas & Aurélien Eyquem, 2009. "Ramsey Policies in a Small Open Economy with Sticky Prices and Capital," Cahiers de recherche 09-12, Departement d'Economique de la Faculte d'administration à l'Universite de Sherbrooke.
- Stéphane Auray & Beatriz de Blas & Aurélien Eyquem, 2011. "Ramsey Policies in a Small Open Economy with Sticky Prices and Capital," Working Papers 1115, Groupe d'Analyse et de Théorie Economique (GATE), Centre national de la recherche scientifique (CNRS), Université Lyon 2, Ecole Normale Supérieure.
- David K. Backus & Patrick J. Kehoe & Finn E. Kydland, 1991.
"International real business cycles,"
146, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- N. Gregory Mankiw & Matthew Weinzierl, 2004.
"Dynamic Scoring: A Back-of-the-Envelope Guide,"
NBER Working Papers
11000, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- N. Gregory Mankiw & Matthew Weinzierl, 2005. "Dynamic Scoring: A Back-of-the-Envelope Guide," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 2057, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Trabandt, Mathias & Uhlig, Harald, 2011.
"The Laffer curve revisited,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 58(4), pages 305-327.
- Mathias Trabandt & Harald Uhlig, 2006. "How Far Are We From The Slippery Slope? The Laffer Curve Revisited," SFB 649 Discussion Papers SFB649DP2006-023, Sonderforschungsbereich 649, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany.
- Robert E. Lucas Jr. & Nancy L. Stokey, 1982.
"Optimal Fiscal and Monetary Policy in an Economy Without Capital,"
532, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Lucas, Robert Jr. & Stokey, Nancy L., 1983. "Optimal fiscal and monetary policy in an economy without capital," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 12(1), pages 55-93.
- Kenneth L. Judd, 1982.
"Redistributive Taxation in a Simple Perfect Foresight Model,"
572, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
- Judd, Kenneth L., 1985. "Redistributive taxation in a simple perfect foresight model," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 28(1), pages 59-83, October.
- Benigno, Pierpaolo, 2001.
"Price Stability with Imperfect Financial Integration,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2854, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Pierpaolo Benigno, 2008. "Price stability with imperfect financial integration," Proceedings, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Pierpaolo Benigno, 2009. "Price Stability with Imperfect Financial Integration," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 41(s1), pages 121-149, 02.
- Benigno, Gianluca & De Paoli, Bianca, 2009.
"On the International Dimension of Fiscal Policy,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
7232, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Gianluca Benigno & Bianca De Paoli, 2009. "On the International Dimension of Fiscal Policy," CEP Discussion Papers dp0905, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Gianluca Benigno & Bianca De Paoli, 2009. "On the international dimension of fiscal policy," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 28515, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Gomme, Paul & Rupert, Peter, 2007.
"Theory, measurement and calibration of macroeconomic models,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 54(2), pages 460-497, March.
- Paul Gomme & Peter Rupert, 2005. "Theory, measurement, and calibration of macroeconomic models," Working Paper 0505, Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland.
- Mendoza, Enrique G, 1991. "Real Business Cycles in a Small Open Economy," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 81(4), pages 797-818, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:gat:wpaper:1138. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Nelly Wirth)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.