The six "ins" of climate-smart agriculture: Inclusive institutions for information, innovation, investment, and insurance:
This paper reviews the central role of institutions for climate-smart agriculture (CSA), focusing on the role of institutions in promoting inclusivity, providing information, enabling local level innovation, encouraging investment, and offering insurance to enable smallholders, women, and poor resource-dependent communities to adopt and benefit from CSA. We discuss the role of state, collective action, and market institutions at multiple levels, with particular attention to the importance of local-level institutions and institutional linkages across levels.
|Date of creation:||2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.ifpri.org/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Nelson, Gerald C. & Rosegrant, Mark W. & Palazzo, Amanda & Gray, Ian & Ingersoll, Christina & Robertson, Richard & Tokgoz, Simla & Zhu, Tingju & Sulser, Timothy B. & Ringler, Claudia & Msangi, Siwa & , 2010. "Food security, farming, and climate change to 2050: Scenarios, results, policy options," Research reports Gerald C. Nelson, et al., International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Klerkx, Laurens & Hall, Andy & Leeuwis, Cees, 2009.
"Strengthening Agricultural Innovation Capacity: Are Innovation Brokers the Answer?,"
MERIT Working Papers
019, United Nations University - Maastricht Economic and Social Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (MERIT).
- Laurens Klerkx & Andy Hall & Cees Leeuwis, 2009. "Strengthening agricultural innovation capacity: are innovation brokers the answer?," International Journal of Agricultural Resources, Governance and Ecology, Inderscience Enterprises Ltd, vol. 8(5/6), pages 409-438.
- Quisumbing, Agnes R. & Kumar, Neha & Behrman, Julia A., 2011. "Do shocks affect men's and women's assets differently?: A review of literature and new evidence from Bangladesh and Uganda," IFPRI discussion papers 1113, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Meinzen-Dick, Ruth & Quisumbing, Agnes & Behrman, Julia & Biermayr-Jenzano, Patricia & Wilde, Vicki & Noordeloos, Marco & Ragasa, Catherine & Beintema, Nienke, 2010.
"Engendering agricultural research,"
IFPRI discussion papers
973, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Markelova, Helen & Meinzen-Dick, Ruth & Hellin, Jon & Dohrn, Stephan, 2009. "Collective action for smallholder market access," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 1-7, February.
- Gregorio, Monica Di & Hagedorn, Konrad & Kirk, Michael & Korf, Benedikt & McCarthy, Nancy & Meinzen-Dick, Ruth & Swallow, Brent, 2008. "Property rights, collective Action, and poverty: The role of institutions for poverty reduction," CAPRi working papers 81, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Poncet, J. & Kuper, M. & Chiche, J., 2010. "Wandering off the paths of planned innovation: The role of formal and informal intermediaries in a large-scale irrigation scheme in Morocco," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 103(4), pages 171-179, May.
- Fenske, James, 2011. "Land tenure and investment incentives: Evidence from West Africa," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 95(2), pages 137-156, July.
- Glendenning, Claire J. & Babu, Suresh & Asenso-Okyere, Kwadwo, 2010. "Review of agricultural extension in India: Are farmers' information needs being met?," IFPRI discussion papers 1048, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Lan Anh Hoang & Jean-Christophe Castella & Paul Novosad, 2006. "Social networks and information access: Implications for agricultural extension in a rice farming community in northern Vietnam," Agriculture and Human Values, Springer, vol. 23(4), pages 513-527, December.
- Spielman, David J. & Davis, Kristin E. & Negash, Martha & Ayele, Gezahegn, 2008.
"Rural innovation systems and networks: Findings from a study of Ethiopian smallholders,"
IFPRI discussion papers
759, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- David Spielman & Kristin Davis & Martha Negash & Gezahegn Ayele, 2011. "Rural innovation systems and networks: findings from a study of Ethiopian smallholders," Agriculture and Human Values, Springer, vol. 28(2), pages 195-212, June.
- Harold Alderman & Trina Haque, 2007. "Insurance Against Covariate Shocks : The Role of Index-Based Insurance in Social Protection in Low-Income Countries of Africa," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 6736, October.
- Agarwal, Bina, 2001. "Participatory Exclusions, Community Forestry, and Gender: An Analysis for South Asia and a Conceptual Framework," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 29(10), pages 1623-1648, October.
- Nicholas Magnan & Douglas M. Larson & J. Edward Taylor, 2012. "Stuck on Stubble? The Non-market Value of Agricultural Byproducts for Diversified Farmers in Morocco-super- ," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 94(5), pages 1055-1069.
- Nicholas Magnan & Douglas M. Larson & J. Edward Taylor, 2013. "Stuck on Stubble? The Non-Market Value of Agricultural Byproducts for Diversified Farmers in Morocco," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 95(1), pages 207-207.
- Davis, Kristin & Ekboir, Javier & Mekasha, Wendmsyamregne & Ochieng, Cosmas M.O. & Spielman, David J. & Zerfu, Elias, 2007. "Strengthening agricultural education and training in Sub-Saharan Africa from an innovation systems perspective: Case studies of Ethiopia and Mozambique," IFPRI discussion papers 736, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Barnett, Barry J. & Barrett, Christopher B. & Skees, Jerry R., 2008. "Poverty Traps and Index-Based Risk Transfer Products," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 36(10), pages 1766-1785, October.
- Meinzen-Dick, Ruth & Quisumbing, Agnes & Behrman, Julia & Biermayr-Jenzano, Patricia & Wilde, Vicki & Noordeloos, Marco & Ragasa, Catherine & Beintema, Nienke, 2011. "Engendering agricultural research, development, and extension:," Research reports ruthmeinzen-dick, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Davis, Kristin E., 2009. "The important role of extension systems:," 2020 vision briefs 16(11), International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Di Falco, Salvatore & Bulte, Erwin, 2013. "The Impact of Kinship Networks on the Adoption of Risk-Mitigating Strategies in Ethiopia," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 43(C), pages 100-110.
- Feder, Gershon & Just, Richard E & Zilberman, David, 1985. "Adoption of Agricultural Innovations in Developing Countries: A Survey," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 33(2), pages 255-98, January.
- Kilelu, Catherine W. & Klerkx, Laurens & Leeuwis, Cees, 2013. "Unravelling the role of innovation platforms in supporting co-evolution of innovation: Contributions and tensions in a smallholder dairy development programme," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 118(C), pages 65-77.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fpr:worpps:114. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ()
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.