Learning in a large square economy
Learning is introduced into a sequence of large square endowment economies indexed by n, in which agents live n periods. Young agents need to forecast n - 1 periods ahead in these models in order to make consumption decisions, and thus these models constitute multi-step ahead systems. Real time learning is introduced via least squares. The systems studied in this paper are sometimes locally convergent when n = 2,3 but are never locally convergent when . Because the economies studied are analogous, nonconvergence can be attributed solely to the multi-step ahead nature of the forecast problem faced by the agents. We interpret this result as suggesting that beliefs-outcomes interaction may be an important element in explaining actual dynamics in general equilibrium systems of this type.
|Date of creation:||1993|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.stlouisfed.org/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kehoe, Timothy J. & Levine, David K., 1990.
"The economics of indeterminacy in overlapping generations models,"
Journal of Public Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 42(2), pages 219-243, July.
- Timothy J. Kehoe & David K. Levine, 1990. "The Economics of Indeterminacy in Overlapping Generations Models," Levine's Working Paper Archive 2193, David K. Levine.
- Woodford, Michael, 1986.
"Learning to Believe in Sunspots,"
86-16, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Marimon, Ramon & McGrattan, Ellen & Sargent, Thomas J., 1990. "Money as a medium of exchange in an economy with artificially intelligent agents," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 14(2), pages 329-373, May.
- Grandmont Jean-michel & Laroque G, 1990. "Economic dynamics with learning : some instability examples," CEPREMAP Working Papers (Couverture Orange) 9007, CEPREMAP.
- Howitt, Peter, 1992. "Interest Rate Control and Nonconvergence to Rational Expectations," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 100(4), pages 776-800, August.
- Ramon Marimon & Stephen E. Spear & Shyam Sunder, 1992.
"Expectationally-driven market volatility: an experimental study,"
Discussion Paper / Institute for Empirical Macroeconomics
73, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Marimon Ramon & Spear Stephen E. & Sunder Shyam, 1993. "Expectationally Driven Market Volatility: An Experimental Study," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 61(1), pages 74-103, October.
- Ramon Marimon & Stephen E. Spear & Shyam Sunder, 1993. "Expectationally-driven market volatility: An experimental study," Economics Working Papers 21, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Marimon, R. & Spear, S. & Sunder, S., 1991. "Expectationally-Driven Market Volatility: An Experimental Study," GSIA Working Papers 1991-3, Carnegie Mellon University, Tepper School of Business.
- Bullard James, 1994.
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 64(2), pages 468-485, December.
- Imrohoroglu, Selahattin, 1993. "Testing for sunspot equilibria in the German hyperinflation," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 17(1-2), pages 289-317.
- George W. Evans & Seppo Honkapohja, 1992. "Adaptive Learning and Expectational Stability: An Introduction - (Now published as Ch.4 in 'Learning Rationality in Economics', A Kirman and M Salmon (eds), 1995, Basil Blackwell, Oxford), pp.102-126.," STICERD - Theoretical Economics Paper Series /1992/248, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
- Kehoe, Timothy J. & Levine, David K. & Mas-Colell, Andreu & Woodford, Michael, 1991. "Gross substitutability in large-square economies," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 54(1), pages 1-25, June.
- Ramon Marimon & Shyam Sunder, 1993.
"Indeterminacy of equilibria in a hyperinflationary world: Experimental evidence,"
Economics Working Papers
25, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Marimon, Ramon & Sunder, Shyam, 1993. "Indeterminacy of Equilibria in a Hyperinflationary World: Experimental Evidence," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 61(5), pages 1073-107, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fip:fedlwp:1994-013. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Anna Xiao)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.