Location decisions of natural gas extraction establishments: a smooth transition count model approach
The economic geography of the United States' energy landscape changed rapidly with domestic expansion of the natural gas sector. Recent work with smooth transition parameter models is extended to an establishment location model estimated using Poisson regression to test whether expansion of this sector, as evidenced by firm location decisions from 2005 to 2010, is characterized by different growth regimes. Results suggest business establishment growth of firms engaged in natural gas extraction was faster when the average area of shale and tight gas transition coverage in neighboring counties exceeded 17%. Local agglomeration externalities, access to skilled labor and transportation infrastructure were of more economic importance to location decisions in the high growth regime. Accordingly, growth rates were heterogeneous across the lower 48 States, suggesting potentially different outcomes with respect to local investment decisions supporting this sector.
|Date of creation:||01 Apr 2014|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 1 Memorial Drive, Kansas City, MO 64198-0001|
Phone: (816) 881-2254
Web page: http://www.kansascityfed.org/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- James P. LeSage & Manfred M. Fischer, 2012.
"Estimates of the Impact of Static and Dynamic Knowledge Spillovers on Regional Factor Productivity,"
International Regional Science Review,
, vol. 35(1), pages 103-127, January.
- Manfred M. Fischer & James P. LeSage, 2011. "Estimates of the impact of static and dynamic knowledge spillovers on regional factor productivity," ERSA conference papers ersa11p31, European Regional Science Association.
- Josep Maria Arauzo Carod, 2005.
"Determinants of industrial location: An application for Catalan municipalities,"
Papers in Regional Science,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 84(1), pages 105-120, 03.
- Josep Maria Arauzo Carod, . "Determinants of industrial location. An application for Catalan municipalities," Studies on the Spanish Economy 138, FEDEA.
- Lambert, Dayton M. & McNamara, Kevin T. & Garrett, Megan I., 2006. "An Application of Spatial Poisson Models to Manufacturing Investment Location Analysis," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Southern Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 38(01), April.
- Conley, T. G., 1999. "GMM estimation with cross sectional dependence," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 92(1), pages 1-45, September.
- Lambert, Dayton M. & Brown, Jason P. & Florax, Raymond J.G.M., 2010.
"A two-step estimator for a spatial lag model of counts: Theory, small sample performance and an application,"
Regional Science and Urban Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 40(4), pages 241-252, July.
- Dayton M. Lambert & Jason P. Brown & Raymond J.G.M. Florax, 2010. "A Two-Step Estimator For A Spatial Lag Model Of Counts: Theory, Small Sample Performance And An Application," Working Papers 10-5, Purdue University, College of Agriculture, Department of Agricultural Economics.
- Davis, David E. & Schluter, Gerald E., 2005.
"Labor-Force Heterogeneity as a Source of Agglomeration Economies in an Empirical Analysis of County-Level Determinants of Food Plant Entry,"
6654, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Davis, David E. & Schluter, Gerald E., 2005. "Labor-Force Heterogeneity as a Source of Agglomeration Economies in an Empirical Analysis of County-Level Determinants of Food Plant Entry," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 30(03), December.
- Cletus C. Coughlin & Eran Segev, 1997.
"Location determinants of new foreign-owned manufacturing plants,"
1997-018, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Cletus C. Coughlin & Eran Segev, 2000. "Location Determinants of New Foreign-Owned Manufacturing Plants," Journal of Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 40(2), pages 323-351.
- Josep-Maria Arauzo-Carod & Daniel Liviano-Solis & Miguel Manjón-Antolín, 2010.
"Empirical Studies In Industrial Location: An Assessment Of Their Methods And Results,"
Journal of Regional Science,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 50(3), pages 685-711.
- Arauzo Carod, Josep Maria & Liviano Solís, Daniel & Manjón Antolín, Miguel C., 2008. "Empirical studies in industrial location: an assessment of their methods and results," Working Papers 2072/9257, Universitat Rovira i Virgili, Department of Economics.
- Henderson, Jason R. & McNamara, Kevin T., 2000. "The Location Of Food Manufacturing Plant Investments In Corn Belt Counties," Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, Western Agricultural Economics Association, vol. 25(02), December.
- Smith Jr. , Donald F. & Florida Richard, 1994. "Agglomeration and Industrial Location: An Econometric Analysis of Japanese-Affiliated Manufacturing Establishments in Automotive-Related Industries," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 36(1), pages 23-41, July.
- Todd Gabe, 2003. "Local Industry Agglomeration and New Business Activity," Growth and Change, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 34(1), pages 17-39.
- Cameron,A. Colin & Trivedi,Pravin K., 2005. "Microeconometrics," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521848053, june. pag.
- Whitney K. Newey & Kenneth D. West, 1986.
"A Simple, Positive Semi-Definite, Heteroskedasticity and AutocorrelationConsistent Covariance Matrix,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0055, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Newey, Whitney & West, Kenneth, 2014. "A simple, positive semi-definite, heteroscedasticity and autocorrelation consistent covariance matrix," Applied Econometrics, Publishing House "SINERGIA PRESS", vol. 33(1), pages 125-132.
- Newey, Whitney K & West, Kenneth D, 1987. "A Simple, Positive Semi-definite, Heteroskedasticity and Autocorrelation Consistent Covariance Matrix," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(3), pages 703-08, May.
- Valerien O. Pede, 2009. "A Spatial Econometric Star Model With An Application To U.S. County Economic Growth, 1969-2003," Working Papers 09-03, Purdue University, College of Agriculture, Department of Agricultural Economics.
- Paulo Guimaraes & Octávio Figueiredo & Douglas Woodward, 2004. "Industrial Location Modeling: Extending the Random Utility Framework," Journal of Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 44(1), pages 1-20.
- Head, Keith & Ries, John & Swenson, Deborah, 1995.
"Agglomeration benefits and location choice: Evidence from Japanese manufacturing investments in the United States,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 38(3-4), pages 223-247, May.
- Keith Head & John Ries & Deborah Swenson, 1994. "Agglomeration Benefits and Location Choice: Evidence from Japanese Manufacturing Investment in the United States," NBER Working Papers 4767, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kelejian, Harry H. & Prucha, Ingmar R., 2007. "HAC estimation in a spatial framework," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 140(1), pages 131-154, September.
- Paulo Guimaraes & Octavio Figueiredo & Douglas Woodward, 2000.
"A tractable approach to the firm location decision problem,"
NIMA Working Papers
2, Núcleo de Investigação em Microeconomia Aplicada (NIMA), Universidade do Minho.
- Paulo Guimarães & Octávio Figueirdo & Douglas Woodward, 2003. "A Tractable Approach to the Firm Location Decision Problem," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 85(1), pages 201-204, February.
- Lambert, Dayton M. & McNamara, Kevin T. & Garrett, Megan I., 2006. "Food Industry Investment Flows: Implications for Rural Development," The Review of Regional Studies, Southern Regional Science Association, vol. 36(2), pages 140-62.
- Lambert, D. M. & Clark, C. D. & Wilcox, M. D. & Park, W. M., 2007. "Do Migrating Seniors Affect Business Establishment and Job Growth? An Empirical Look at Southeastern Nonmetropolitan Counties, 2000-2004," The Review of Regional Studies, Southern Regional Science Association, vol. 37(2), pages 251-78.
- Fotopoulos, Georgios & Louri, Helen, 2000. "Location and Survival of New Entry," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 14(4), pages 311-21, June.
- Lambert, Dayton M. & McNamara, Kevin T. & Garrett, Megan I., 2006. "An Application of Spatial Poisson Models to Manufacturing Investment Location Analysis," Journal of Agricultural and Applied Economics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 38(01), pages 105-121, April.
- List, John A., 2001. "US county-level determinants of inbound FDI: evidence from a two-step modified count data model," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 19(6), pages 953-973, May.
- Luc Anselin & Nancy Lozano-Gracia, 2008. "Errors in variables and spatial effects in hedonic house price models of ambient air quality," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 34(1), pages 5-34, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fip:fedkrw:rwp14-05. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lu Dayrit)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.