Location Determinants of New Firms: Does Skill Level of Human Capital Really Matter?
This paper is about the role played by stock of human capital on location decisions of new manufacturing plants. We analyse the effect of several skill levels (from basic school to PhD) on decisions about the location of plants in various industries and, therefore, of different technological levels. We also test whether spatial aggregation level biases the results and determine the most appropriate areas to be considered in analyses of these phenomena. Our main statistical source is the Register of Manufacturing Establishments of Catalonia (REIC), which has plant-level microdata on the locations of new manufacturing plants. Keywords: agglomeration economies, industrial location, human capital, count-data models, spatial econometrics.
|Date of creation:||2011|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Avda. de la Universitat,1 - 43204 Reus (Tarragona)|
Phone: 977 75 98 00
Fax: 977 75 98 10
Web page: http://www.urv.cat
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cletus C. Coughlin & Eran Segev, 1997.
"Location determinants of new foreign-owned manufacturing plants,"
1997-018, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Cletus C. Coughlin & Eran Segev, 2000. "Location Determinants of New Foreign-Owned Manufacturing Plants," Journal of Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 40(2), pages 323-351.
- Hansen, Eric R., 1987. "Industrial location choice in Sao Paulo, Brazil : A nested logit model," Regional Science and Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 89-108, February.
- Arauzo Carod, Josep Maria & Liviano Solís, Daniel & Manjón Antolín, Miguel C., 2008.
"Empirical studies in industrial location: an assessment of their methods and results,"
2072/9257, Universitat Rovira i Virgili, Department of Economics.
- Josep-Maria Arauzo-Carod & Daniel Liviano-Solis & Miguel Manjón-Antolín, 2010. "Empirical Studies In Industrial Location: An Assessment Of Their Methods And Results," Journal of Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 50(3), pages 685-711.
- Jopep M. Arauzo-Carod & Miguel C. ManjÃ³n-AntolÃn (ed.), 2007. "Entrepreneurship, Industrial Location and Economic Growth," Books, Edward Elgar Publishing, number 12798.
- Josep Maria Arauzo Carod, "undated".
"Determinants of industrial location. An application for Catalan municipalities,"
Studies on the Spanish Economy
- Josep Maria Arauzo Carod, 2005. "Determinants of industrial location: An application for Catalan municipalities," Papers in Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 84(1), pages 105-120, 03.
- Luisa Alamá-Sabater & Andrés Artal-Tur & José Navarro-Azorín, 2011. "Industrial location, spatial discrete choice models and the need to account for neighbourhood effects," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer;Western Regional Science Association, vol. 47(2), pages 393-418, October.
- Shaoming Cheng & Roger Stough, 2006. "Location decisions of Japanese new manufacturing plants in China: a discrete-choice analysis," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer;Western Regional Science Association, vol. 40(2), pages 369-387, June.
- Josep-Maria Arauzo-Carod & Elisabet Viladecans-Marsal, 2009.
"Industrial Location at the Intra-Metropolitan Level: The Role of Agglomeration Economies,"
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 43(4), pages 545-558.
- Josep Maria Arauzo-Carod & Elisabet Viladecans-Marsal, 2006. "Industrial location at the intra-metropolitan level: The role of agglomeration economies," Working Papers 2006/5, Institut d'Economia de Barcelona (IEB).
- Todd Gabe, 2003. "Local Industry Agglomeration and New Business Activity," Growth and Change, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 34(1), pages 17-39.
- Arauzo Carod, Josep Maria & Manjón Antolín, Miguel C., 2001.
"Firm Size and Geographical Aggregation: An Empirical Appraisal in Industrial Location,"
2072/1772, Universitat Rovira i Virgili, Department of Economics.
- Josep Maria Arauzo Carod & Miguel C. ManjÛn AntolÌn, 2004. "Firm Size and Geographical Aggregation: An Empirical Appraisal in Industrial Location," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 22(3_4), pages 299-312, 04.
- Miguel Manjón-Antolín & Josep-Maria Arauzo-Carod, 2011. "Locations and relocations: determinants, modelling, and interrelations," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer;Western Regional Science Association, vol. 47(1), pages 131-146, August.
- Smith Jr. , Donald F. & Florida Richard, 1994. "Agglomeration and Industrial Location: An Econometric Analysis of Japanese-Affiliated Manufacturing Establishments in Automotive-Related Industries," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 36(1), pages 23-41, July.
- Todd M. Gabe & Kathleen P. Bell, 2004. "Tradeoffs between Local Taxes and Government Spending as Determinants of Business Location," Journal of Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 44(1), pages 21-41.
- Audretsch, David B. & Lehmann, Erik E., 2005. "Does the Knowledge Spillover Theory of Entrepreneurship hold for regions?," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 34(8), pages 1191-1202, October.
- Guimaraes, Paulo & Figueiredo, Octavio & Woodward, Douglas, 2000. "Agglomeration and the Location of Foreign Direct Investment in Portugal," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 47(1), pages 115-135, January.
- Schmenner, Roger W. & Huber, Joel C. & Cook, Randall L., 1987. "Geographic differences and the location of new manufacturing facilities," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 21(1), pages 83-104, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:urv:wpaper:2072/152136. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ariadna Casals)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.