Stock prices, news, and economic fluctuations: comment
Beaudry and Portier (American Economoc Review, 2006) propose an identification scheme to study the effects of news shocks about future productivity in Vector Error Correction Models (VECM). This comment shows that their methodology does not have a unique solution, when applied to their VECMs with more than two variables. The problem arises from the interplay of cointegration assumptions and long-run restrictions imposed by Beaudry and Portier (2006).
|Date of creation:||2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 20th Street and Constitution Avenue, NW, Washington, DC 20551|
Web page: http://www.federalreserve.gov/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:||Web: http://www.federalreserve.gov/pubs/feds/fedsorder.html|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Neville Francis & Michael T. Owyang & Jennifer E. Roush & Riccardo DiCecio, 2010.
"A flexible finite-horizon alternative to long-run restrictions with an application to technology shock,"
2005-024, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Neville Francis & Michael T. Owyang & Jennifer E. Roush & Riccardo DiCecio, 2014. "A Flexible Finite-Horizon Alternative to Long-Run Restrictions with an Application to Technology Shocks," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 96(4), pages 638-647, October.
- Paul Beaudry & Deokwoo Nam & Jian Wang, 2011.
"Do Mood Swings Drive Business Cycles and is it Rational?,"
NBER Working Papers
17651, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Paul Beaudry & Deokwoo Nam & Jian Wang, 2011. "Do mood swings drive business cycles and is it rational?," Globalization and Monetary Policy Institute Working Paper 98, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas.
- Barsky, Robert B. & Sims, Eric R., 2011. "News shocks and business cycles," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 58(3), pages 273-289.
This item is featured on the following reading lists or Wikipedia pages:
- Stock Prices, News, and Economic Fluctuations: Comment (AER 2014) in ReplicationWiki
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fip:fedgfe:2013-08. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marlene Vikor)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.