A tale of tails: an empirical analysis of loss distribution models for estimating operational risk capital
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- Kenneth A. Froot, 2001. "Bank capital and risk management: operational risks in context," Conference Series ; [Proceedings], Federal Reserve Bank of Boston.
- Bookstaber, Richard M & McDonald, James B, 1987. "A General Distribution for Describing Security Price Returns," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 60(3), pages 401-424, July.
- Badrinath, S G & Chatterjee, Sangit, 1988. "On Measuring Skewness and Elongation in Common Stock Return Distributions: The Case of the Market Index," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 61(4), pages 451-472, October.
- Philippe Artzner & Freddy Delbaen & Jean‐Marc Eber & David Heath, 1999. "Coherent Measures of Risk," Mathematical Finance, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 9(3), pages 203-228, July.
- Kabir K. Dutta & David F. Babbel, 2002. "On Measuring Skewness and Kurtosis in Short Rate Distributions: The Case of the US Dollar London Inter Bank Offer Rates," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 02-25, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Chernobai, Anna & Yildirim, Yildiray, 2008. "The dynamics of operational loss clustering," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 32(12), pages 2655-2666, December.
- Marco Bee & Julien Hambuckers & Luca Trapin, 2019. "An improved approach for estimating large losses in insurance analytics and operational risk using the g-and-h distribution," DEM Working Papers 2019/11, Department of Economics and Management.
- Gareth Peters & Pavel Shevchenko & Bertrand Hassani & Ariane Chapelle, 2016. "Should the advanced measurement approach be replaced with the standardized measurement approach for operational risk?," Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) halshs-01391091, HAL.
- Albrecht, Peter & Schwake, Edmund & Winter, Peter, 2007. "Quantifizierung operationeller Risiken: Der Loss Distribution Approach," German Risk and Insurance Review (GRIR), University of Cologne, Department of Risk Management and Insurance, vol. 3(1), pages 1-45.
- Valérie Chavez-Demoulin & Paul Embrechts & Marius Hofert, 2016. "An Extreme Value Approach for Modeling Operational Risk Losses Depending on Covariates," Journal of Risk & Insurance, The American Risk and Insurance Association, vol. 83(3), pages 735-776, September.
- Financial Systems and Bank Examination Department, 2007. "The Effect of the Choice of the Loss Severity Distribution and the Parameter Estimation Method on Operational Risk Measurement - Analysis Using Sample Data -," Bank of Japan Research Papers 2007-12-26, Bank of Japan.
- Buch-Kromann, Tine & Guillén, Montserrat & Linton, Oliver & Nielsen, Jens Perch, 2011. "Multivariate density estimation using dimension reducing information and tail flattening transformations," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 48(1), pages 99-110, January.
- Jarrow, Robert A., 2008. "Operational risk," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 32(5), pages 870-879, May.
- repec:gam:jrisks:v:4:y:2016:i:2:p:14:d:70470 is not listed on IDEAS
- Anna Chernobai & Ali Ozdagli & Jianlin Wang, 2018. "Business Complexity and Risk Management: Evidence from Operational Risk Events in U.S. Bank Holding Companies," 2018 Meeting Papers 1146, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Gareth W. Peters & Pavel V. Shevchenko & Bertrand Hassani & Ariane Chapelle, 2016. "Should the advanced measurement approach be replaced with the standardized measurement approach for operational risk?," Papers 1607.02319, arXiv.org, revised Sep 2016.
- Gareth W. Peters & Wilson Y. Chen & Richard H. Gerlach, 2016. "Estimating Quantile Families of Loss Distributions for Non-Life Insurance Modelling via L-moments," Papers 1603.01041, arXiv.org.
- Gareth W. Peters & Rodrigo S. Targino & Pavel V. Shevchenko, 2013. "Understanding Operational Risk Capital Approximations: First and Second Orders," Papers 1303.2910, arXiv.org.
- Peters, Gareth W. & Shevchenko, Pavel V. & Young, Mark & Yip, Wendy, 2011. "Analytic loss distributional approach models for operational risk from the α-stable doubly stochastic compound processes and implications for capital allocation," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 49(3), pages 565-579.
- Wang, Zongrun & Wang, Wuchao & Chen, Xiaohong & Jin, Yanbo & Zhou, Yanju, 2012. "Using BS-PSD-LDA approach to measure operational risk of Chinese commercial banks," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 29(6), pages 2095-2103.
- Marco Bee & Julien Hambuckers & Luca Trapin, 2018. "Estimating Value-at-Risk for the g-and-h distribution: an indirect inference approach," DEM Working Papers 2018/08, Department of Economics and Management.
- repec:gam:jrisks:v:6:y:2018:i:3:p:97-:d:169588 is not listed on IDEAS
- Gareth W. Peters & Pavel V. Shevchenko & Bertrand K. Hassani & Ariane Chapelle, 2016. "Should the advanced measurement approach be replaced with the standardized measurement approach for operational risk?," Documents de travail du Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne 16065, Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1), Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne.
- Gareth W. Peters & Wilson Ye Chen & Richard H. Gerlach, 2016. "Estimating Quantile Families of Loss Distributions for Non-Life Insurance Modelling via L-Moments," Risks, MDPI, Open Access Journal, vol. 4(2), pages 1-41, May.
- Chernobai, Anna & Ozdagli, Ali K. & Wang, Jianlin, 2016. "Business complexity and risk management: evidence from operational risk events in U. S. bank holding companies," Working Papers 16-16, Federal Reserve Bank of Boston.
More about this item
NEP fieldsThis paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fip:fedbwp:06-13. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Catherine Spozio). General contact details of provider: http://edirc.repec.org/data/frbbous.html .